Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%
Talking Big Supportive Happy Dance!!

My secretary, who has been doing Atkins for a few months now, just had her bloodwork re-done. She started on Atkins after her cholesterol and triglicerides had gone through the roof.

Well, as of today her bad cholesterol went from 270 to 200. Her triglicerides went from 400 to 67 (she is so happy about this she can't stand it) and her good cholesterol is right at 136 which is where her doctor wanted her to be.

She is within 5 lbs of goal weight, and we have been doing Atkins together since about April. I still have a bit more to lose, but talk about giving you a major boost as far as the health reasons for the WOE!

Yay CF!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 13:48

Plan: lowcarby WW
Stats: 212.6/198.8/191 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 64%

Awesome!!!

#3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 14:05

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

WooHoooo!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 16:30

Stats: 243/187/145 Female 5'5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 57%

WOOHOO! Congratulations to both of you! Yeah, it really helps when you have tests to back up this WOE. When I had my glucose tested I was thrilled that mine was only 87!

Again, CONGRATS to you both!!!!!

~Amy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 17:39

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

That is wonderful, I bet she feels like a brand new person!! Congratulations to you both
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 18:54

Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

This is OUTSTANDING!

My own incentive for starting Atkins last May was a 300+(!) fasting blood glucose test (done twice), coupled with nearly 10 years of elevated cholesterol and triglycerides that were not responding to new medications after I had to stop my Statins due to severe and progressive weakness.

I had my first labs done after I had been on Atkins for only 6 weeks, at the insistance of my doc since I had refused his Metformin scrip for the BG problem. At that point, I had dropped 40 pounds, and my fasting BG was down to 114 (!) As for the other, although I have continued to take my (ineffective) cholesterol meds, my triglycerides had gone from 348 to 221 and my HDL had remained virtually unchanged (36 up to 37). The only negative element was my LDL, which had gone from 197 to 264...but DANDR says that rapid weight loss can often cause initial rises in LDL as the bloodstream carries away metabolized waste products of fat cells.

I am looking forward to better numbers in my next tests, scheduled in a couple of weeks (week 14 of my Atkins program). I have added in avocados and nuts to my program for the last few weeks, in hopes of boosting my HDL levels. Now that my loss has slowed a bit, I'm hoping that my LDL will begin to decline, and that my triglycerides will be within normal range (fingers crossed).

I know it's a long-shot, but it would be wonderful if I could pitch my cholesterol meds and rely on diet alone for control. Your encouraging post makes me think this may not be a totally unreasonable hope.

Congratulations on your achievement!