Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:08

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%
Exclamation The new me

Unbelievable as it may sound, when I was born I weighed 4 pounds. All through grade school, I was always the shortest and skinniest kid there. When I hit puberty, all that changed. As soon as I got my first period, I started to gain weight. And gain. . .and gain! When I graduated from 9th grade I weighed 160 lbs. My mother took me to the doctor and he put me on a "diet." You all know "(/B)THE Diet!" Salads and salads and more salads. No candy, or cookies, or ice cream, or soda. . .or any of the other things all my friends were eating! I did lose 20 pounds that summer and stayed at a still chubby for my height (5'3"), but tolerable weight of 140 pounds through high school. Two and a half years after I graduated from high school I got married and pregnant. (Actually, it was the other way around! :up That's when the weight (/B)REALLY started to pile on! I had two babies in fourteen months and never did lose much weight between them. By the time my second daughter was born I weight 200 pounds. During my second pregnancy, I read about low-carb eating and I asked my doctor about it. He said it was a very unhealthy way of eating and that if I wanted to lose weight I should just "eat less." (How many times have we all heard (/B)THAT one!)
Over the next almost thirty years, I tried every diet known to man. I did the grapefruit diet. I did the rotation diet. I did Overeaters Anonymous, I did Weight Watchers. I did Jenny Craig. As I'm sure you all know, they all (/B)WORKED! -- for a while. But, inevitably, hunger won out. I couldn't eat 1/2 slice of bread and 2 oz. of dry tuna for lunch and be satisfied. So I'd slip off the diet and back to my old eating habits. And all the weight I'd lost would come back -- and some more to keep it company! I finally topped off (so I thought) at 250 lbs. I stayed at that weight for more than ten years. Then, last November I went to the doctor for a check-up and found that somehow, in the previous year, I'd managed to gain another 10 pounds. "You need to lose weight," he snapped at me. (Gee, Doc, really? Duh!) Two weeks after my doctor's visit I went on a cruise. When I came back, I had managed to gain yet (/B)ANOTHER 6 pounds. I was now at the highest weight I had ever been in my life. I knew I had to do something (maybe kill myself?), but I didn't know what. After all, hadn't I tried and failed at every weight loss attempt I'd ever made? I was at the end of my rope.
On New Year's Eve (during the day) I was at the grocery store and I was looking in the paperback books section looking for something to read. I saw a book called, "The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program." I picked in up and started reading it. Right from the beginning I felt that the authors were talking about me -- and (/B)TO me! I bought the book, brought it home and started reading it. I took the "test" and found out that I am, indeed, a carbohydrate addict. But before I jumped into this, I wanted to do some research. After all, hadn't my own doctor told me that low-carb eating was unhealthy and even dangerous?
Well, thirty years ago I didn't have the resources available that I do today. I went on-line and looked and looked and read and read and read some more. I've been "lurking" here on this forum for almost two weeks now. I talked to my DH. He has always been very supportive of me in all my many efforts to lose weight, and he never, ever tells me I'm wasting my time. I finally set a start date of 1/13/02. I spent a week "preparing" myself -- drinking lots more water, cutting out the soda, and cutting down on caffeine and sugar. To my surprise, I had lost 6 pounds before I even really began! I am very optimistic. I've made a commitment to this (/B)WOL and I know that these forums will help.

Stormy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up

WELCOME to our forum!!! I know you will like it here. You might want to start a journal and write down everything you feel and what you eat and drink. It will help you find out everything that you do wrong or right! Others will pop in and say hi also. It is a great place to start. I love it. I am on Atkins lo-carb. I also have tried every diet under the sun. This is the only way of eating that keeps me away from the cravings of choc. and eating every single minute (I am not kidding- I would eat all day long and not feel full). Look me up in the journal section in the H section. Remember to DRINK DRINK DRINK! It is the secret to success!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:35

Plan: Mostly Atkins these days
Stats: 260/225.9/175
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm actually up to drinking about 100 oz. of water a day. I started a hand-written journal about a week ago -- when I was still in the "thinking about it" stage. May do one on-line as well.

Somehow my "new me" thread got posted twice. (I'm sure I did something wrong). Anyone know how to delete one of them?

#4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 13:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 22/22/8
BF:
Progress: 23%

On the bottom of your post there is a edit/delet on the bottom right hand corner. Click there and you can delete it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 14:01

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

welcome stormy. I'm glad you did the research and found something that sounds as if it will work for you.

Your story reminds me how much octors anger me in their treatment of obese patients. They have the same irrational anti-fat prejudices as the uneducated masses, and yet when they tell us we've "failed" on their diets, what they're not admitting is that they are failing as physicians. Since 99.9% of people regain the weight after 7 years, their treatment is what is lacking--we lack nothing except the fashionable metabolism of the age. Such ignorance might be excusable in the general population, but these are supposed to be scientist and healers. So many of them who would give us a "F" grade at dieting or "self control," I would give an "F" grade at being both a doctor and a human being.

Find a doctor who has some humility about his own inability to treat this difficult to treat condition and shows gentleness and compassion for you. If CAD or other LC works for you, such a good MD will be convinced by your success of the program's merits.

Best of luck to you
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 16:20

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Welcome Stormy!!

And thanks for sharing your story with us! Unfortunately, it sounds like alot of other stories here!! So many people think the only way to lose weight is starve... and live on salad!!

I hope you will start a journal here too!!!

Good for you-- getting a jump start on the water and cutting back on the caffiene and sugar ahead of time!!

There is a CAD section here. Check it out!! See what others are eating and how they are doing!!

Hope to see more of you around the forum!!

Ellie