Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:36

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 104/114/99 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: -200%
Default Help!!

OK! I am going on a cruise in a month and have to wear formal attire. I tried on my 2 cocktail dresses I have that would be appropriate and neither one of them fit! I don't want to further burn out my adrenals or change my Schwarzbein WOE, but does anyone have any suggestions to help me firm up/lose any lbs quickly? Any supps that might help aid in getting me in shape safely? I am working out with weights at the beginner level every other day--just started--but that's all. No cardio at this point. If it is unrealistic at this point, I'm going to have to go out and get a fat dress to wear and I hate that. Thanks for all your help!!

Tig
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:55
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Tig

If you don't want to change the way you're eating (wise choice )
Then the exercise is the way to go, keep up with the weights and maybe get some walking or jogging in. Are you doing both upper and lower body in the same day - you might be able to do a more extensive workout if you alternate the upper and lower days. Also do some ab work - I find sit ups work quickly and effectively for me - it all depends on which part of you needs the most work. I know a lot of people don't believe spot reducing works - but I believe in it - you can definitely firm up problem areas even if they don't shrink quite as much as you'd like. If you exercise diliginetly till the cruise you CAN get good results. I think I recall you're going to Alaska!!!! my parents just got back last month from a 2 week Alaskan cruise and they loved it - Good luck on the exercise.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:58
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tig:

Your dilemma really sucks. I've been having to do the same thing.

Anyway, what about going to a store that sells nice 2nd hand clothes? You could always sell them back to them when you no longer need the dresses.

I think you already mentioned that you've reduced saturated fats. That's about the only thing I can think of short of going off SP and doing a quick-fix Atkins Induction (which may or may not work).

Hope you find a solution to your problem so you can focus on enjoying your cruise.

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 13:27
Stepford Malfunction

Tig

Depending on how badly the dresses don't fit maybe you can wear them with a little bit of help from a really nice wrap - that kind of covers up the arms and maybe the back area of the dress. But the second hand idea is a good one - it's better to wear something that fits than squeeze into a tight dress and look like a saussage.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 14:31

BF:

Hi KoKo! Unfortunately, I don't believe these dresses can be camoflauged (sp?) at this point. I'm beginning to think I need to go with a long skirt/dressy blouse anyway cause I'm pretty cold-natured. I'm thanking the heavens above that this is not a Carribean cruise!! LOL!! Boy, what a scary sight that would be. Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to start doing some walking--Walking Off the Pounds--and continue the weights. I hate to do too much strength training at this point since I am so new to it. I hear a lot about BFL. Are those tapes or what? I kinda need to see things being done in order to know what to do. Wanda, I have not gone low-saturated. I love cheese and I know I eat too much of it. I hate to cut it out since I feel pretty restricted as it is. I know I need to tho so I am going to check out Dr. S's low saturated fat menus. Thanks for all the help. If you have any more ideas, they will be appreciated.

Thanks! Tig
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 15:04
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Wanda, I have not gone low-saturated. I love cheese and I know I eat too much of it. I hate to cut it out since I feel pretty restricted as it is.

Tig, I hear ya! I just started a modified candida diet and gave cheese up completely, including my part-skim mozzarella. Never mind all the other stuff I can't eat.

You might be pleasantly surprised if you give up cheese for a week and see what happens. Sad to say, many people are intolerant to it in some form, which can cause weight gain. They say the foods you can't do without are the ones you are sensitive to.

I had food intolerance testing done and was found to be severely intolerant to 77 foods/preservatives. I know I should be avoiding them, but I haven't. I'm trying to work my way up to seriously following it, but I'm not there yet. Oh, and guess the top 3 in order - sugar, yeast then caffeine. Cheese is #32.

Seems like all the good things in life are bad for us.

Anyway, I've wandered off about myself on YOUR post. Sorry. If you decide to give up the cheese temporarily, we can whine together.

Wanda
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:07
Stepford Malfunction

Hi Tig

I think they have BFL tapes, and there is a book but it's expensive. They have a great web-site Click for exercise videos I use these videos to do the exercises with and I've found other web sites that demo the weight exercises. The format for doing BFL exercises is sets of 12,10,08,06 and then 2 more sets of 12 you start with a light weight and work up as the reps decrease and do the final 2 sets of 12 with a lighter weight. It is actually recommended that the last 2 sets of 12 be a different exercise that uses the same muscle. You are supposed to do one exercise for each muscle group ie. shoulder,biceps,triceps,back. The BFL site gives a pretty good outline. I know it sounds like a lot but I actually find it quite easy because of how the reps work down and using a lighter weight for the last 2 sets. I don't use really heavy weights mine range from 5 to 20 lbs and for some of the 20lbs it's a bit much for me. I don't want to really bulk up so light weights are fine for women.

I've heard great things about the WAP video - I know Mischa LUV'S it and she's my fitness goddess
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 17:09
Stepford Malfunction

PS - I think a long skirt and top is a great idea - much more versatile than a dress too!!!! - It's too bad you have to buy something but you are spending money to go on the cruise so you might as well spend a bit more so you can feel comfortable and attractive.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 14:13

BF:

Hey Wanda and Koko!!

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep you posted on any loss or, worse yet, gain. I'm going to check out the BFL site now. Nothing like watching someone else exercise!!!

Tig
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 15:29

Plan: CALP/Schwarzbien
Stats: 212.5/192/172.5 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hey Tigger,

Ooh that cruise sounds like a lot of fun. I am taking one to Mexico in December but that is such a long way away.

I agree with the other posters here, exersize is your best bet. But also have read that chromium is involved with fat metabolization. It is in my multivitamins so maybe that is a factor with my success, I don't know.

Cheese is a stickler with me too! Love it and I know I should cut down too! Maybe just for this short amount of time you could substitute some other high protein snack, something else that you really love. For me, I would substitute crab or shrimp, they are easy to snack on or add to meals and I love them dearly. If you substitute something you love equally well, you will not be at all deprived!

deb
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 23:04

BF:

Hi Deb!

Thanks for the ideas. I also dearly love seafood. I'm also going to check to see if I have chromium in any of my supplements. Have you heard anything about CLA? I wonder how it should be taken. I heard--no, I think I even read it in Dr. S's book--that it aids in getting rid of tummy fat. That I could use!! I got the smallest I had been since high school by doing the low fat thing. Then, I got pregnant with my 3rd child, and boy, did I gain weight. I lost back down with various dieting disasters but never lost that tummy.

A cruise to Mexico sounds great! I have never been to Mexico, but I hear it is beautiful. I really prefer warm weather places to cold ones.

Thanks again! Tig
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-03, 18:32

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%
Default some ideas...

I'm not sure there's any SP legal way to lose a significant amt of weight in a month. Your body just has to decide when it is ready to let go of the fat weight. However here are some tips that may cause temporary weight loss or just make you look as if you have lost:

Eat very low sodium for several days before your trip. Remember that most of the sodium is already in foods rather than from the salt you add at the table.

Drink plenty of water, at least a gallon a day.

If you are drinking diet sodas, stop now.

Get a Pilates tape (not Denise Austin or Pilates for Dummies ) or go to a Pilates class at least 2x/wk. Pilates trains your core muscles (abs & low back) and pulls your ab muscles in, making you look smaller. It also trains you to...

Stand up straight!

Never underestimate the power of support undergarments.

Also, instead of buying a "fat dress", do you have anyone you could borrow a dress from? When I was at my "fat" weight postpartum I borrowed clothes from my mom and sister.

Jen
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:30
Registered Member

Stats: 171/154/150 Female 5'9"
BF:??/18.8/??
Progress: 81%

I agree with Jen about Pilates -- I got comments about how good I looked after doing it only 3 times. It somehow made my tummy look smaller right away. I started by checking tapes out of the library to see which ones I'd like.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 23:37

BF:

Hi Jen and Sunski!

Thanks for the ideas! I have recently had a relative rave about the wonders of Pilates, also, so I am definitely going to check it out.

Thanks again! Tig
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 17:20

Stats: 170/163/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

To those of you who suggested Pilates tapes, which ones are good? I have Winsor Pilates but haven't really gotten myself to do it yet.
Shelli