Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 264/226/195 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default 4 liters of water..To much????

Hello ...I drink about 4 liters of water a day might that be to much...Love some input please??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:28
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Not even close to too much, tonyman!

I always have at least 4 litres, usually around 5. I do have a problem with fluid retention (resulting from various meds) but the problem improves the more I drink.

The only way your 4 litres could be a problem, is if you were to drink them within an hour or so.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:11
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I drink 10-11 liters at least and have had no problem. I had my blood work done and all my levels were fine (I do suppliment potassium, calcium, magnesium, and zinc). Drnking alot of water flushes out toxins, helps prevent water retention, keeps you well hydrated, and is great for clearing up skin.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 20:45

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

There is virtually no such thing as too much water, as long as you are not forcing it down. If your body wants water, give it water, simple as that. But anyways, there is no way 4 litres could be too much...
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 21:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 264/226/195 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 55%

thx alot for the input!!!!!...you guys are great!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 11:22
Registered Member

Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%

Hi tonyman,

I just want to mention that I saw a report on one of those shows like "48 hours" and they did a story about a fraternity of a college that made a guy keep drinking water so he could become a member. He ended up drinking so much that his brain swelled and he died.
And no, I don't know how much he drank, but I'm sure a person could comsume too much.
4 liters actually sounds pretty close to a perfect amount.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 13:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is such a thing as water intoxication. A person needs to drink an extream amount, and in a short peoriod of time, not through out the entire day. People who drink that much for the purpose of becoming intoxicated will have extreamly distended bellies from all the water.

There is also problems if electrolytes are flushed out. This is why people working hard in the desert will take sodium pills.

It is doubtful that you would have problems with either of these at 4 liters spread out all day. For the electrolytes though, it is a good idea for anyone on Atkins to suppliment with potassium/calcium and magnesium. This will also help if you are having leg cramps.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 21:20

Stats: 297/264.5/180 Female 5'8
BF:3rd/attempt/toLC
Progress: 28%

thought I was doing good drinking between 2-3 Liters of water daily... It is alot more then I used to drink...but seems to be not nearly as much as some...
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 21:25
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I drink 4-5 liters daily (and take my cal/mag/potas supplements like a good girl) but LadyBelle, 11 liters?!! Goodness gracious...

Wow, you must spend a lot of time on the white throne...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 21:33

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

On a related note, does anyone know how much would be too much to drink at any one time? I drink 5-6 litres a day minimum, sometimes more, which is a fine amount for me.

However, I am able to drink a lot at once - I find it easy to down a litre, litre and a half in one big drink... how much is too much in a short time period?

Wynter
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 23:11

Stats: 161/130.5/132 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:Don't have a clue
Progress: 105%

for those of us who are "americanized"... what is the equivalent of liters in ounces?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 00:03
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Jackie00--Think of a liter as a quart. [Actually, it's about a quart plus 1 1/2 ounces--but a quart is close enough for our purposes.] So Wynter is saying she drinks between 32 and 48 ounces at one go. I can believe that, because I can do it, too. Personally, I aim to drink about 5 quarts--so 160 ounces--a day, though I vary a lot.

One way to figure out how much water you should be drinking is to take your weight, divide it by 2, and drink that number of ounces. When I started, at 316 pounds, that worked out to 158 ounces--which I rounded up to 160. I've never changed that amount.

One thing I did to help me keep track of my water is to buy a Nalgene quart bottle. I just keep filling it up.

Of course, you do have to have access to a bathroom!

Jude
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 02:12

Plan: Syndrome X
Stats: 254/218/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Water and Retention...

Although it isn't exactly the same, it helps to think about water the same way you think about stored body. Your body tend s to hold onto water when it's thirsty much like how it holds onto stored fat when your hungry.

We all know after dieting for awhile, our body shifts into starvation -- our metablosim slows to conserve energy and holds onto fat presuming its needed to survive.

Well, water seems to work the same way...when we don't get enough, our body begins to conserve it, and we retain water. So when we drink a lot of water, our body adjusts "knowing" that plenty of water s entering our body regularly and doesn't need to coserve it as much.

Our body also knows it needs a sufficient amount of water to process stored body fat for energy and flush out the byproducts. Thus, when we don't drink enouh water, our body also burns fat more slowly, "knowing" water is being conserved, it slows the fat metabolism process as well.

I know that's a bit oversimplified, but helps to understand why sufficient water is so important in the weight loss equation.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 04:21

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
There is also problems if electrolytes are flushed out. This is why people working hard in the desert will take sodium pills.

Or working hard in factories.