Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:52

Plan: Started Atkins 3/17/03 now CKD
Stats: 145/113/115 Female 65
BF:54%/21%/18%
Progress: 107%
Question seltzer vs. plain H2O or bottled H2O

Just curious if there is a difference between flavored seltzer and plain/bottled H2O??

I drink about 100+ oz of water a day, but it is mostly seltzer (no carbs, no sugar, no salt, no calories).

Wondering if I should be drinking more regular water and less seltzer

Anyone have an opinion on this???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 215/215/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

good question!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:54

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default water

Im curious too. I know atkins says to drink plain old fresh water...I can't stand the sstuff personally!! I've been drinking carbonated flvored water also...no sugar, no calories, etc.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

There is a debate about this in the medical community, but as far as I can tell, there isn't sufficient evidence to suggest the carbonation causes any ill effects. However, this type of water has SODIUM which negates some of the hydration effects. But hey, if it's the only way you're gonna drink water, drink water!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:03

Plan: low-carb;modified atkins
Stats: 251/238/115 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default yeehaw

i was worried about that also..but yah!!! So, I'm NOT being as bad as I thought I was!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I drink 2-3 large bottles of Perrier a day, plus Yerba Mate tea made from filtered tap water. "Mineral water" is on the list of waters for Induction.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:07

Skamito,
I get the flavored Seltzer from Walbaums, the brand is Americas Choice, it says no calories, no sugars, no sodium, no carbs. Is this accurate??? or false advertising
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 12:22

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally posted by mom2girls
Skamito,
I get the flavored Seltzer from Walbaums, the brand is Americas Choice, it says no calories, no sugars, no sodium, no carbs. Is this accurate??? or false advertising
Looks like you found a good brand! Some do not have sodium.

I do want to stress though, that if you CAN drink plain water it is the best for you. I'm a bit wary of the carbonation in those beverages myself. Something about added carbon is spooky.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 13:02

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I drink sparkling water

I like the lime or lemon flavored. I am not good at drinking plain everyday water.

Black57
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 14:43

Thanks Skamito

I will make a point of drinking more plain water
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 20:27

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Cool

Hi.....

This is an excerpt from The Diet Cure: The 8-Step Program to Rebalance Your Body Chemistry and End Food Cravings, Weight Problems, and Mood Swings - Now, by Julia Ross. She's a low-carb supporter, so I found it to be very Atkins friendly. Information about the book is under the "Low Carb Books" tab up top, or here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...=books&n=507846

Today, obtaining pure drinking water is every more challenging. Whenever we drink water with additives, flavorings, sweeteners, and carbonation, our overworked liver must spend time and energy to filter and remove the additives. Only then can we use the water that is contained in the drink. In contrast, pure water requires no special processing by the body. It can be absorbed and used right away as soon as it touches our lips.

Choices in Drinking Water Despite claims from regional water treatment officials, tap water isn't a very good source of drinking water anymore, because it contains large amounts of chlorine to kill the bacteria and protozoa in it. Chlorine is toxic, especially to the kidneys, liver and heart, and it depletes the body of Vitamin E and other vital nutrients. Carbonated water is much too high in phosphorous (which can leach calcium from the body) to drink more than occasionally. Bottled spring wateres are good choices, when they are low in TDS (total dissolved solids; i.e., sludge). Higher quality bottled waters print their TDS in parts per million (ppm) on their labels. Look for brands like Canadian Glacier and Chippewa Springs Water from Wisconsin that have TDS ratings below 100ppm.

It's ok to drink distilled water, but only occasionally. It's good for detoxifying the body, but unlike spring water, or purified water treated with a reverse osmosis filtration process, it is lifeless, so don't drink it regularly. Reverse osmosis filtered water is very good as the water has been treated with a combination of two filtration systems, plus ultraviolet light. Carbon-block filtration units, which can attach to your faucet or are part of a water pitcher, are okay because they remove chlorine and some harmful chemicals. But make sure to change your filters regularly, as once they are full they will begin to recirculate wastes back into your drinking water. Buying your own faucet or under-the-sink water filter is an invaluable investment in your health; it's cheaper, more convenient, and safe than using plastic containers.

Just thought I'd share that information! I thought it was interesting.

Anshim
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:26
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

There is a water similar to America's choice at Walmart I believe but it has aspertame.

Aspertame may cause health problems and can stall weight loss for some people.

Caveat Emptor. (I think I spelled that right)

Beth
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:43

Thanks for the replys!!

Anshim, very intersting, Thanks for sharing!!

Elihnig, America's Choice does not contain aspertame, but I definitely won't drink as much of the flavored seltzer; I'll drink bottled watered instead. I don't even like the tast of aspertame, so no worry's about me ingesting it

Thanks again
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-17-03, 08:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 215/215/150
BF:
Progress: 0%

what about acesulfame potassium? you think a sparkling water with that wuld be dangerous?

yours,
really SLIMSOON