Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 07:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/115 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 60%
Question Pizza?

Is there a recipe out there for low carb pizza crust or something close to it?? I miss pizza.

Also, any other reccomendations for french fries, other than eggplant? Eggplant soaks up too much oil and tastes mushy to me.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default deep dish pizza

This recipe is all over the web, but here goes. It's not real pizza but it satisfied my cravings.
Egg crust:
4 oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1/2 c cream
1/4 c grated parmesan
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 c shredded cheese blend
1/2 c pizza sacue
1 c mozzarella cheese
Beat togeher cream cheese and eggs till smooth. Add cream, parmesan and spices. Blend well. Sprinkle 2 cups cheese blend into 9 x 13 dish. Mix eggs and cream together. Pour over cheese.
Bake 350 for 15 mins. Let stand 5 mins.
Spread on pizza sauce.
Sprinkle with 1 c shredded mozza cheese.
Pile crust with your favorite toppings. Sprinkle with shredded parmesan.
return to oven and bake till bubbly and golden brown.
allow to stand 10 mins before cutting.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:36

Plan: I do my own thing...LOL
Stats: 220/207/190 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 43%

Occasionally when i get the pizza cravings, I make a pizza out of Low-Carb whole wheat tortillas (made by La Tortilla Factory - I can get em at Safeway). put a little bit of low-carb sauce, mounds of cheese and pepperoni and I have an 8-10g carb pizza. (The crust has 21g carbs minus 15g fiber and my pizza sauce has 5g carbs minus 1g fiber for 1/2 cup. I do NOT use NEARLY a half a cup. Maybe 2 tablespoons at most)

I bake it at 425 for 9-10 minutes so the tortilla gets nice and crispy on the edges.

Yeah I know 8-10 carbs is a lot for a single little pizza, but it really does a great job at curbing my pizza cravings. Keeping it at a minimum of once or twice a week shouldn't hurt anyone's diet as long as you keep your other carbs low that day.

Last edited by SteveE : Thu, Jul-24-03 at 12:39.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:49

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

For French fries I make turnip fries, they are so yummy!! I eat them with either ranch dressing or just plain Mayo!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 01:09

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I did have a homemade crust that is OK that is posted in my journal about 2 wks ago. It was average for low carb stufff, but kind of reminded me like a thin crust graham cracker.

Then lately I tried the Carbsense pizza dough mix and that was much better!! I could even eat the pizza cold and it would taste good and the other one I had to heat it up the day after.

I do recommend using alfredo sauce instead of tomato stuff, really yummy.

As for the fries I second Airdales about the turnip fries (recipe on atkins center website). They are pretty good with some mayo. (european style!)

I did make some cheesey scalloped 'potatoes' using chayote this week. They might make good fries if you cut them and bake them?