Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "The Low-Carb Food Fight Ahead"

The Low-Carb Food Fight Ahead

Atkins' growing product line is raking it in. But company is coming

link to article

Chicago lobbyist Samuel Smith lost 35 pounds this year on the Atkins Diet. To keep them off, the 36-year-old spends up to $100 a week on Atkins' breakfast bars and ice cream, and low-carbohydrate pizzas from other makers. That growing array of products is making his new low-carb lifestyle a cinch. Now, Smith says, "I can eat all the things that I want."

With an estimated 32 million carb-conscious Americans like Sam Smith spending $2.5 billion a year on low-carb foods, the diet once dismissed as a fad has gone mainstream. That's good news for the company behind the craze, Atkins Nutritionals. Created in 1997 by Dr. Robert C. Atkins, the late cardiologist who pioneered the diet, the privately held outfit sells 120 products and has licensed its name to dozens of companies. On Dec. 9, T.G.I. Friday's joined the fray, launching an Atkins-endorsed menu. "There's not much growth in the food industry," says John M. McMillin, an analyst at Prudential Securities Inc., "and Atkins is getting most of it."

Well, for now anyway. With food giants from Kraft Foods Inc. (KFT ) to General Mills Inc. (GIS ) climbing on the low-carb bandwagon, Atkins is about to get a lot of company. Says Atkins President Scott Kabak: "Competition is inevitable." But he insists the Atkins brand will withstand the assault from Big Food.

Atkins will have its work cut out just handling its own expanding appetite. This year, analysts estimate the company doubled its revenues, to $200 million. Moreover, Atkins has introduced 100 products in the past three years and, says Kabak, plans to "maintain that pace for years to come." The company's sizzling growth caught the eye of Goldman, Sachs & Co. (GS ) and Parthenon Capital, a Boston private equity firm. In October, the two paid $600 to $800 million for a majority stake in Atkins. Parthenon co-CEO Ernest Jacquet, says Atkins could go public before the end of next year, adding: "Our job is to manage growth."

How to expand is the subject of considerable debate within the company, says one insider. On one hand, deals like Friday's help broaden awareness of Atkins. Yet with the diet still subject to attacks that it represents a "junk-nutrition" approach, some Atkins execs have argued that tie-ins with the wrong partners make it easier for enemies to score hits. They decided to tie up with Friday's only because it has made efforts to offer more nutritional choices. Maintaining the Atkins brand is crucial. As Richard Snead, CEO of Friday's parent Carlson Restaurants Worldwide Inc., says: "The Atkins name confers trust."

HEFTY MARGINS

The Atkins label also means the company can charge high prices -- such as six bucks for a box of cereal. While execs won't divulge numbers, analysts suspect margins are substantial, since making low-carb food costs little more than producing regular fare. Atkins pasta, for example, is based on soybeans, which don't cost much more than wheat, yet Atkins charges $4.99 a box, twice as much as wheat-based noodles.

Atkins may be forced to cut prices as more players enter the market. Many companies are waiting for the government to define what constitutes a low-carb product. Already, however, Kraft aims to highlight the low-carb content of some of its meats and cheeses. In March, Heinz (HNZ ) One Carb Ketchup will hit stores. And General Mills plans to announce several new low-carb products in the next few weeks. The Atkins Diet seems here to stay. For Atkins Nutritionals, that prospect holds both promise and peril.

By Brian Grow in Chicago, with Gerry Khermouch in New York
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:45
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Up to $100 a week on Frankenfoods? Whoa - he must be a medical resident or something.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:55

Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kristine I agree with the Frankenfood statement. What I have gotten the most out this WOE is keeping it simple. Keeping to real foods. If we just go back to yuky processed foods even though they are low carb this to me is totally against the hole basic principle of this WOE. A lot of focus is made to go back to they way our forbearers ate... simple foods.

I for one will keep to the natural simple foods, possibly augmented by the occassional sugar free chocolate... Heh wait Chocolate's been around for a long time . Plus the odd bar I have tried have not appealed to me anyway... taste like sawdust!

Here's to keeping it simple
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

$100 dollars a week on frankenfoods?? Yikes! I'm with you guys...you can buy an awful lot of meat, eggs, cheese, cream and veggies for $100 bucks, especially if you shop the sales.
I do find some of the low carb products useful such as a brand of low carb bread that one local store carries and my kids enjoy the CarbSmart ice cream but most of those low carb products are a waste of money that could be better spent on healthier foods that will certainly go a lot farther than an Atkins breafast bar: 1 box of breakfast bars, $6.00. One dozen eggs: $1.50.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 23:16
Registered Member

Stats: 270/258/125 Female 61 inches
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 8%

For some reason I thought the whole point of this WOE is to get back to more natural foods.

I guess I am getting it all wrong.

*BTW...both my man and I are on Atkins and I manage to spend about a total of $150 a month, which is more than I have ever spent, but than again I was used to living off of mac and cheese and chicken*
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Yikes! I wonder what diet he's following? Doesn't atkins recommend NOT eating convenience foods? (And then in the same breath say "oh but buy ours" )

I spend maybe $20/month on food that I wouldn't normally buy were I not dieting - most of that is in Low Carb tortillas (which are the one thing I must say I can't live without!)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 06:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is where I'm starting to see that Atkins logo as the scarlet letter. I firmly believe in the message the good doc was trying to get out, but now that he's passed on, Atkins Nutritionals is all about $$$ , even if they're contradicting DANDR. *sigh* I dread reading the next addition of the book: I can imagine all those packaged foods being slipped into the acceptable foods list.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Dec-13-03 at 06:18.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 12:21

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
[B]
The Atkins label also means the company can charge high prices -- such as six bucks for a box of cereal. While execs won't divulge numbers, analysts suspect margins are substantial, since making low-carb food costs little more than producing regular fare. Atkins pasta, for example, is based on soybeans, which don't cost much more than wheat, yet Atkins charges $4.99 a box, twice as much as wheat-based noodles.

In other words we are being ripped off. This makes me more determined than ever to stay away from anything with the Atkins brand
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Omega
Stats: 163/123/120 Female 5'4"
BF:no idea/too much
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiawyn
Yikes! I wonder what diet he's following? Doesn't atkins recommend NOT eating convenience foods? (And then in the same breath say "oh but buy ours" )

I spend maybe $20/month on food that I wouldn't normally buy were I not dieting - most of that is in Low Carb tortillas (which are the one thing I must say I can't live without!)

WHERE, OH WHERE DO YOU GET LOW-CARB TORTILLAS? PEASE RUSH ANSWER.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 19:08
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
This is where I'm starting to see that Atkins logo as the scarlet letter. I firmly believe in the message the good doc was trying to get out, but now that he's passed on, Atkins Nutritionals is all about $$$ , even if they're contradicting DANDR. *sigh* I dread reading the next addition of the book: I can imagine all those packaged foods being slipped into the acceptable foods list.

Sad, isn't it?
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 20:07
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Tortillas

They are really awesome!

I buy them from a local store but you con orfer them online. Just do a google search on La Tortilla Factory.

They have 3 net carbs and are very high in fiber.