Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 04:23

Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/144/135 Female 5'9"
BF:19
Progress: 44%
Talking did you miss me?

Yeah right, I am sure you didn't even know I was gone. Well, here I am back to the forum. That does not mean I was out of the Zone. I just didn't have much time to go on line. Still don't, but wanted to say hello to everyone.

When I moved in May it was tough getting back into the Zone after just started a few months prior.

This weekend will be 2 weeks that I have been back officially into the Zone. The only problem is dealing w/ the carb cravings still. Why do I even start?! AUG!

Anyway, other than finding myself craving a cookie ever now and again, (and giving into the urge) I am doing OK. Just OK since I do have a cookie or hershey kiss laying around at my new job. This new job is terrible for anyone on a diet. Their kitchen looks like sugar and carb heaven/hell, which ever way you look at it. I know, just avoid etc etc. I am not seeking any advice on the subject. Lord knows what I have to do. NOT EAT IT. period. LOL!

Anyhow, that's it for me for the time being. Oh, one question though, zoneperfect states 1 and 1/4 cup strawberries = 1 carb block, but Netzer's says 1 cup. Is that b/c Zoneperfect already subtracted the fiber count to the carbs? I wish Dr. Sears did that for his books. Or maybe he did and I have no idea what I am talking about?

OK, talk to you soon.

Lisa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 23:06

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: did you miss me?

Quote:
did you miss me?

Actually, I was wondering what happened to you.
Glad you're back.

Quote:
Oh, one question though, zoneperfect states 1 and 1/4 cup strawberries = 1 carb block, but Netzer's says 1 cup. Is that b/c Zoneperfect already subtracted the fiber count to the carbs?

I don't think ZP subtracts anything, although I'm not sure. I haven't used that resource in almost 2 years. Didn't you buy a digital scale? Try weighing them. 140 grams comes in at 11 carbs which is only 8 calories over 9, so it's perfectly acceptable. You'll be surprised what 140 grams of strawberries looks like in a measuring cup.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 06:12

Question another question...

Hey ZC, thanks for the tip and glad to be back!

Here's another question to throw into the mix.

I looked up the strawberrie content on USDA site and gained the following info: (http://www.he.net/~zone/usda.html)

140 grams of Strawberries equals
9.8 grams of carbs minus the
Fiber content 3.22 grams

Which makes the true carb count 6.58 grams of carbs.

So shouldn't one block of carbs equal=
190 grams of Strawberries which equals
13.3 grams of carbs minus the
4.37 grams of Fiber

Which makes the true carb count of the berries 8.93 grams. Close enough to the 9 that we are trying for.

Sorry, don't mean to "challenge" you, but it's just so confusing if you do too much research like I do.

I have decided to stick w/ the USDA site for all my carb content food. If I follow my above rule of subtracting the fiber, will I be OK?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 06:19

Exclamation ooooh!

I may have answered my own question.

On the USDA site it states the following:

STRAWBERRIES,RAW
100 grams

KCAL 30
PROTEIN (GRAMS) 0.6
FAT (GRAMS) 0.4
CARBOHYDRATE, BY DIFF. (GRAMS) 7
TOTAL DIETARY FIBER (GRAMS) 2.3

Look at it again, see how it says "Carbohydrate, by diff." Does this mean the difference after the fiber content of the food? Hmmm, good question.

If so, then you ARE absolutely correct w/ 140 grams equaling 1 carb block of strawberries!

Last edited by lisalaura : Sat, Jun-28-03 at 06:20.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 21:27

Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: ooooh!

Quote:
Originally posted by lisalaura
I may have answered my own question.

On the USDA site it states the following:

STRAWBERRIES,RAW
100 grams

KCAL 30
PROTEIN (GRAMS) 0.6
FAT (GRAMS) 0.4
CARBOHYDRATE, BY DIFF. (GRAMS) 7
TOTAL DIETARY FIBER (GRAMS) 2.3

Look at it again, see how it says "Carbohydrate, by diff." Does this mean the difference after the fiber content of the food? Hmmm, good question.

If so, then you ARE absolutely correct w/ 140 grams equaling 1 carb block of strawberries!

Got me hun. I've never seen that phrase before.
I'm not near as analylitical as you (makes my brain hurt). I just go by package labeling. In the case of strawberries, I buy them frozen most of the year, except for right now. They're ready for pickin', so I'm headed out in the A.M. My freezer will be LOADED for the next several months!