Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: high fat
Stats: 205/205/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sharing Success

Hi All,

I just wanted to share with you a bit of my success... being a Type 1, the Diabetes factor is huge in my program, so this seemed like the right place to share.

I've been LC'ing for three weeks now. Haven't adapted to the Bernstein program yet, I have kind of been doing an Atkins OWL (extra veggies, dairy, and a few nuts). I have lost five pounds, which I am really pleased about.

I think it's mainly because of insulin dosing that affects the weight loss. I have been carefully working to cut insulin. For the past five days, I am down to almost half the insulin I was previously using: now taking 40 units a day (20 lantus / 20-25 humalog). I think at this rate, the decreased insulin and combined LC will help me lose about 1 lb. a week. That's what I am hoping for, anyway. As far as I am concerned, this is a big success too.

As far as control, I think my body still needs a bit more insulin for optimal control, but more insulin will prohibit weight loss, and then as I lose weight my body shouldl need less insulin.

So right now, sugars are ranging from about 100 to 150. Not optimal, but much improved. I think i am willing to live with these sugar ranges for a couple months with less insulin. I am hoping between continued weight loss and continued body/diet adaptation, this amount of insulin will eventually provide even better control.

It's going to be a long journey, but I'm feeling really good right now. Although I was tempted, I passed on the cookies and brownies my friends brought over yesterday for our BBQ (as well as the rice, bread, crackers, chips, and carrots.) My only indulgences so far have been 2 pieces of sugar free dark chocolate. And my husband is becoming more supportive. At first he was worried about my going too low and the diet not being good for me. Now he's suggesting things we can make for me (e.g. Cordon Bleu sans breading, fajitas without the tortillas).

For the first time, I am actually looking forward to my next HBA1c. Now I just need to start exercising. Anyway, thanks for all your responses to my questions... I am sure I will have more in the future, as well as moments of frustration. This is a wonderful forum.

Deb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 11:25

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default new you

Congratulations! Sounds like you are on the way to a new, healthier you. All your hard work will pay off.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Exercise thoughts

Exercise is all important to good health, especially for us diabetics. You gave the exercise much thought?

I have a stationary recumbent bike that I use 3 times a week (cardio) and lift weights twice a week. Be careful starting cardio for obvious reasons, but for cardio this recumbent bike is nice. I have mine in my office so I can watch TV while getting my 1 hour of cardio in, no matter how the weather is. I do the same program, and it makes it not so cumbersome as I have the phone by me and the remote control as well.

Also, my BG meter and glucose tablets are also available.

Good luck, those pounds will really start flying off once you get into exercise.

Good luck,
wsgts
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:12
Registered Member

BF:
Default Exercise

I've been thinking about exercise LOTS. I just have this weird behavioral thing where I can't do two things at once. My husband complains we never have a hot dinner because I can't make two dishes at the same time - the side dish is always cold. Basically, I can't multitask. So, anyway, I've been really focused on getting this WOL started, and now I'm about ready to add exercise.

We got a recumbent bike, too - this January. My hubby won a sports shop gift certificate at his company's Christmas party and we knew that we needed to start exercising. I also got a beginner's yoga dvd - I am such a stressed person that I really want to start this, and I just cleared a spot for it in my family room yesterday. Also, our company has a workout room with treadmills and elliptical machines that I would like to try at lunchtime. I usually eat my salad and meat at my desk since I don't go out anymore. Plus I have some weights. Plus I have a large dog that would love to be walked more in our hilly neighborhood. So I AM prepared and I have lots of options. Just gotta kick it into action and not go overboard. I have really lost ALL cardiovascular fitness. It's sad.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 12:30

Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default You will get used to it

Sadly, I am about to get used to regular exercise for the first time in my life. I have been doing really well for about 4 years, but only since I have started doing Atkins really heavily have I lost any weight.

That recumbent bike in the living room is the best thing I have found. Just use an hour of your TV time, and you don't have to miss you favorite TV show (ours is Star Trek TNG).

Good luck, sounds like you are really on your way.

wsgts
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 14:21

Stats: 150/150/130 Female 5 Feet 8 inches
BF:
Default I'm a T1 on Atkins

I'm a Type 1 on atkins, I've been on semi-induction for 2 weeks (I eat more salad then he suggests, because I really love salad). I'm so happy for your weight loss. I've actually gained weight on atkins, 4 pounds to be exact. My bs was pretty much out of control before, but now since I started lowcarbing, I'm finally off of the rollercoaster. I cut my insulin dose in half. I'm taking 20 units of lantus and 8-10 units of novolog everyday, down from 40 units of lantus and 10-12 units of novolog. I exercise every morning for 30 minutes on my exercise bike and 45minutes to 11/2 hours at the gym after work. I measured myself and I am not smaller, my clothes are not loser either. Any idea why I'm gaining weight? I know once an uncontrolled diabetic becomes controlled they gain some weight, but I've been decreasing my insulin. Am I doing something wrong? How can I stop gaining and start losing? I eat about 1500-1700 calories a day. Please share any tips you may have.

Thanks,
Mary
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 15:05

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Mary and Welcome!

If you post a "sample" day's menu, someone will be able to tell you if it has too many carbs. The reason for such a strict induction is to get things started.

Most of us are on Dr Bernstein's eating plan....we have 30 carbs per day forever........6g for breakfast, 12g for lunch, 12g for dinner, so we are really counting closely! Bernstein's eating plan helps control BG amazingly well.

(Even eggs have carbs...that need to be counted. Salad ingredients can really add up fast.) HTH
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 15:23
Registered Member

BF:

Mary,

It's so nice to hear from someone else with Type 1.

I'm sorry you haven't seen any weight loss yet. Especially since it's challenging to try and eat like this. For the first week, I didn't see any weight loss at all either. Even now things are going slowly. I try to remember that my number one priority needs to be good control and that my number two priority is weight loss.

It's so great that your sugars are better. I know I felt a lot of relief just watching my numbers go down. I don't know how "out of control" your sugars were, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was just an adjustment to your improved control. I would say write the four pounds off for getting better sugars, and in your head, start your weight loss program from today. I hope that with a little more time, the scale starts to go the right way for you.

I'm still a beginner too. The only other thing I would say that the experienced "experts" on atkins at this forum seem to have certain questions they ask when people aren't losing weight and ideas about what might be interfering with the weight loss. These include things like water consumption, processed meats, caffeine, aspartame, etc. You can find these posts in the newbie's questions section - maybe they'll give you some inspiration.

Good Luck!
Deb
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 12:45

Stats: 150/150/130 Female 5 Feet 8 inches
BF:

Here is my fit day link, I have a bunch of days filled out if you scroll backwards. I also have some caffeine free diet coke once in a while maybe a glass a day. I use no more then 3 packets of splenda a day and I've cut my coffee consumption significantly. I used to drink 1 pot a day. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. My doctor say's my weight is fine, but I really want to lose 20 pounds. My thyroid tests are fine, so it's not that. I take vitamins every day and drink about 100-128 ounces of water, please don't say drink more water...I really can't. Thank you everyone.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Public...?Owner=crush180
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-03, 00:41

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Are you also using the ketostix to measure your urinary ketones? From what I've read on your Fitday it looks like you are probably consuming too many carbs to get into ketosis. But you *should* lose weight. Being female, you will also have a harder time losing weight. From the amount of exercise you are doing, you probably weigh more from muscle. For you measuring your fat percentage and/or using a measuring tape to determine inches lost would probably do better for you rather than the scales. You could be losing fat and gaining muscle (and possibly have some water retention) could explain a weight gain. (Over how much time and how much weight gained?) Frankly, I don't really care about how much I weigh any more. I go more by how my clothes fit. I've gone from a size 20-22 to a 14-16. By the scales I've only lost about 30 pounds which would not account for that many dress sizes lost. But there it is. I just look on the weight loss as a bonus compared to the benefits I've gained in the BG readings and my cholesteral readings. I'm going to be eating this way for the rest of my life. So I'll just kick back and enjoy the ride and not care too much about the numbers....