Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 09:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default TGIFridays will be Atkins Approved

Just went to the website to find nutritional info since I forgot my lunch on the counter this morning The main page states that they will have an Atkins-Approved menu. I wonder if it will be just an Atkins friendly or really an approved menu. Hopefully this will be better than how Ruby's handled it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 09:57

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I'd be interested to see what their menu will consist of..."lower carb" or truly Atkins Approved...we shall see.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 13:08

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

I ate at Friday's with my son on Saturday. At 10 he is not lc'ing but his steak came with a potato which they happily would have replaced with a veg. I had the garlic chicken and asked for double veggies and no potato. No problem. I found it rather easy to eat real lc food (not replacement food with artificial sweeteners and stuff) at Fridays. Take a look at their regular menu.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 18:21

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

I have no problem getting a meat and veggies substitution, but I wish they would offer low carb desserts.

brobin
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 19:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Perhaps desserts will be included on the new menu. I love potatoes and mashed cauliflower is the ideal substitution if it is made well. I would prefer a veggie and mashed cauliflower instead of double veggies, although that is the same thing. I wish I grew up on mashed cauliflower. Imagine the salads. Thanks for the info. I may go on that web-site.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 07:12

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Ive been buying the TGI artichoke and spinach dip in the store. It says 2g c and 2g fiber. Ive been eating this with bacon. DELICIOUS! Yes, I have double checked the box. Try it, its great! Over cook the bacon to make it firm for dipping.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 07:59
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Ive been buying the TGI artichoke and spinach dip in the store. It says 2g c and 2g fiber. Ive been eating this with bacon. DELICIOUS! Yes, I have double checked the box. Try it, its great! Over cook the bacon to make it firm for dipping.

Usually when I see something like that I assume that the fiber has already been subtracted from the carb counts.

confusing since I am so used to subtracting carbs, but I had a not-so-good incident with a pasta sauce that read similar until I was informed that some labels in the US subtract fiber from the carb counts and just dont tell you.

I would probably count that as 2g carbs, but hey even at 2g carbs that sounds great!

I saw their wings in the frozen section at the supermarket and they listed as 1 or 2g carbs also. I considered picking them up but I didnt yet because I wasnt sure if I would like them.

I will look for the dip and try it though.

Thanks,

MJ
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:06

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I can't bring myself to trust these companies. I'm not sure what it is about the current LC trend, but for some reason I absolutely cannot and will not bring myself to eat at these restaurants. They are cashing in on the LC fever that seems to be hitting the nation, so I hope no one is fooled that this is about Atkins, because it's really about one thing only - $$.

I'm sure not everyone is as pessimistic as I am. For some reason, since starting this WOL I don't trust food that I haven't prepared.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:27
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I'm sure not everyone is as pessimistic as I am. For some reason, since starting this WOL I don't trust food that I haven't prepared.

I trust the counts the restaurants are giving and no doubt in my mind that they are doing it for the money, but if it helps me stick to a plan or enjoy it more while I am out, giving me more options I think its a great thing.

Fact is there IS a lot of money to be made here because more and more people are low carbing and I dont hold it against any company for trying to take advantage of it.

I, for one, totally appreciate what Ruby Tuesday did. I think the research and taking a step up and trying to break the stigma that LC is bad for you and helping promote it is better for me and my WOE. Granted they still have a few quirks but they are trying to do something which is more than I can say for most places.

Hopefully more places will jump on and more will understand the benefits of it.

As for trusting food I havent prepared myself... I am like that to a degree where I dont trust non LCers (family members) to make anything for me simply because I am so paranoid about getting things exact.. making sure I use spices that dont have sugar added or just watching ingredients and I dont think that someone else will be that careful and I want the added security of making it myslef... plus it usually comes out better when I make it myself lol. That said, I do trust restaurants to make things correctly because they are trained to do things a certain way and do have some sort of understanding of different menus etc.

I am very happy that Fridays is getting on board and I will make a point of checking it out when they do for that reason.

MJ
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 20:01

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Friday's is one one those places that you can count on to make it as easy as possible to low carb. I appreciate that!

I've also bought their wings at the store and they are great.

In regard to why companies are making it easier, OF COURSE they are doing it to make money -- THAT is why they are in business. Why Shouldn't they make money from selling low carb things -- they've certainly made enough from selling high carb ones!

As to not trusting things that you haven't made yourself -- I hate cooking all the time, and its GREAT to go out to eat and not have to agonize over what you can eat! You can tell pretty easily when something has a coating you weren't expecting, or is too sweet, etc.

Most importantly, if companies DO make their products incorrectly and people gain weight, it won't take long for word to get around. They are not going to want to risk their profits by developing a bad reputation. There's a lot of Buying Power in LowCarbers!

Last edited by Sunslyte : Fri, Dec-05-03 at 20:03.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 09:33

Plan: Atkins & Gluten Free
Stats: 162/154/110 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 15%

I saw on the news that the new Fridays menu is going to be Atkins Approved not merely low carb. This is good for me as I love Fridays, and they are a business so of course they are in it for the money. But if they are able to give me food that will help me stay on course while enjoying a meal out with my family then I am all for it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 09:57

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

TGI Fridays is my familys favorite restaurant to eat at. WE absolutely love the French Onion Soup.It couldnt be too bad as far as carbs go, as long as you dont eat the bread at the bottom of the bowl. I learned to make it myself, but its been awhile.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 16:05
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggersmom
I saw on the news that the new Fridays menu is going to be Atkins Approved not merely low carb.

This is great news! I love the fact that they have considered that many of the people who come to eat there are eating low-carb. It's about time! While one can always substitute veggies for the potato, other things sometimes worry me, and knowing they have designed a dish to be low-carb is a GREAT HELP!!

How many times have you wondered what they might have put into a dressing, a gravy, or a sauce? I hate the wondering myself.

As long as they list how many grams of carbs are in a given "low-carb" dish, I see this as a very welcome development!

It also means we'll have more choices when we go to places like this. I went to Ruby Tuesdays for the first time a week ago and was amazed at all the choices that were available. At some places, the ONLY thing I can get is a salad !!

And this competition will make many other restaurants do the same!! Yeah for low-carbing going mainstream!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 04:07
Hail to the King

Stats: 394/219/200 Male 5' 11''
BF:Big Time
Progress: 90%

I just went to TGIF website and found the Menu!!

http://www.tgifridays.com/menu/healthymenu.htm
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 18:09
Hello

Plan: Modified Ketogenic
Stats: 182/180/145 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Just had the sizzling chicken Atkins menu meal and LOVED it! So nice to be able to order an item from the menu and not have to rattle off a list of substitutions to the server (HOPING they will get it right!!)
Friday's fans, enjoy!