Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 12:34

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default Can you explain the 'minus fiber' concept?

I've seen several recipes and heard it mentioned, but I don't understand exactly what that means. Could someone tell me or direct me to the answer?

Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 14:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

We can't digest the fiber in carbohydrates, so it doesn't do anything to our blood sugar. Therefore, when counting carbohydrates, you can subtract the number of grams of fiber from the number of grams of carbohydrates. What you have left is the Effective Carbohydrate Count or ECC. That's what you want to watch and track.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 15:26
Registered Member

Stats: 191/190/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Fiber acts as...shall we say...a "colon cleanser". We don't digest or absorb anything from it, so it doesn't count. Keep in mind that not only is it "free" carbs, you need plenty of it to stay regular. Hope this helps.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 15:46

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 283/162/165 Female 5ft6
BF:
Progress: 103%

ok, so for instance, fitday says that 1 cup of lettuce has 1.15g of carb and 0.77 g of fiber. I subrtract .77 from 1.15 and that's the # that I count in my totals for the day? Do I do this even on Atkins induction?

Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 22:08
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 308/158/160 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 101%

I understand the concept but get a little confused with some of the nutrition labels.

For example, a packet of ground linseed (flaxseed) I purchased yesterday quoted per 100g at about 7g carbs and 30g fibre. As I don't believe that it can possibly be -23g effective carbs (oh what wishful thinking!) I suspect that the 7g carbs has already had the fibre content taken out of consideration.

Does that sound right? I wish that all food labels looked the same to avoid confusion!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-03, 22:29

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Fiber is a Carbohydrate. But, it is not absorbed. Sadly It is not physically possible for a food to have a negative ECC. If there were such a thing, it would be sold as a miracle diet aid.

Quote:
Originally posted by kiwilass
I understand the concept but get a little confused with some of the nutrition labels.

For example, a packet of ground linseed (flaxseed) I purchased yesterday quoted per 100g at about 7g carbs and 30g fibre. As I don't believe that it can possibly be -23g effective carbs (oh what wishful thinking!) I suspect that the 7g carbs has already had the fibre content taken out of consideration.

Does that sound right? I wish that all food labels looked the same to avoid confusion!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-03, 00:44

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It all depends where you live. In some countries, like the UK (and by the look of it New Zealand) the fibre is already deducted so you can't do it again. In the States the fiber is not deducted so you can subtract it from the number of carbs given.

robert