Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-07, 06:24
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ(10)) acts both as an antioxidant and as an electron acceptor at th

Data on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis published by researchers at National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

NewsRx.com

09-28-07

"The etiology of several neurodegenerative disorders is thought to involve impaired mitochondrial function and oxidative stress. Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ(10)) acts both as an antioxidant and as an electron acceptor at the level of the mitochondria," researchers in the United States report.

"In several animal models of neurodegenerative diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's disease, and Parkinson's disease, CoQ(10) has shown beneficial effects. Based on its biochemical properties and the effects in animal models, several clinical trials evaluating CoQ(10) have been undertaken in many neurodegenerative diseases," wrote W.R. Galpern and colleagues, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

The researchers concluded: "CoQ(10) appears to be safe and well tolerated, and several efficacy trials are planned."

Galpern and colleagues published their study in Mitochondrion (Coenzyme Q treatment of neurodegenerative diseases of aging. Mitochondrion, 2007;7(Suppl. S):S146-S153).

For additional information, contact W.R. Galpern, National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 6001 Execut Blvd., Room 2225, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA.

Publisher contact information for the journal Mitochondrion is: Elsevier Science Ltd., the Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1GB, Oxon, England.

Keywords: United States, Bethesda, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Central Nervous System Disease, Clinical Trial Research, Huntington Disease, Mental Health, Motor Neuron Disease, Neurodegenerative, Neurodegenerative Disease, Neurology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

This article was prepared by Pain & Central Nervous System Week editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2007, Pain & Central Nervous System Week via NewsRx.com.

To see more of the NewsRx.com, or to subscribe, go to http://www.newsrx.com .

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNew...0&Section=AGING
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-08, 19:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
Data on amyotrophic lateral sclerosis published by researchers at National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

NewsRx.com

09-28-07

"The etiology of several neurodegenerative disorders is thought to involve impaired mitochondrial function and oxidative stress. Coenzyme Q-10 (CoQ(10)) acts both as an antioxidant and as an electron acceptor at the level of the mitochondria," researchers in the United States report.

"In several animal models of neurodegenerative diseases including amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Huntington's disease, and Parkinson's disease, CoQ(10) has shown beneficial effects. Based on its biochemical properties and the effects in animal models, several clinical trials evaluating CoQ(10) have been undertaken in many neurodegenerative diseases," wrote W.R. Galpern and colleagues, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

The researchers concluded: "CoQ(10) appears to be safe and well tolerated, and several efficacy trials are planned."

Galpern and colleagues published their study in Mitochondrion (Coenzyme Q treatment of neurodegenerative diseases of aging. Mitochondrion, 2007;7(Suppl. S):S146-S153).

For additional information, contact W.R. Galpern, National Institute of Neurological Disorders & Stroke, National Institutes of Health, 6001 Execut Blvd., Room 2225, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA.

Publisher contact information for the journal Mitochondrion is: Elsevier Science Ltd., the Boulevard, Langford Lane, Kidlington, Oxford OX5 1GB, Oxon, England.

Keywords: United States, Bethesda, Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, Central Nervous System Disease, Clinical Trial Research, Huntington Disease, Mental Health, Motor Neuron Disease, Neurodegenerative, Neurodegenerative Disease, Neurology, National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke.

This article was prepared by Pain & Central Nervous System Week editors from staff and other reports. Copyright 2007, Pain & Central Nervous System Week via NewsRx.com.

To see more of the NewsRx.com, or to subscribe, go to http://www.newsrx.com .

http://www.lef.org/news/LefDailyNew...0&Section=AGING

Being a musician, my attention has been brought to something that is quite new to me. It is a neurological malady called focal dystonia. This is an occupational dystonia that affects musicans more than any other professional. It can be thought of as a human computer that has crashed. Fingers, embouchure ( mouth ), or even the tongue do not obey expected commands. Music that has been common place in the sufferer's life and livelyhood become impossible to play. I have only known about it for 2 weeks but I have read much on , what I think are related ailments such as ALS and musclar dystrophy, with positive results form our dietary lifestyle. The more I read about FD and other life altering diseases and how we as low carbers, can help these people, the more I am resolved to be a low carber forever! FORE EVORE!!FORE EVORE!! I look forward to presenting this to the Musicians with Dystonia site. Thanks Kebaldwin.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 23:13

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am marking this thread so that I can use it in the future.