Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:21

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Question Ketosis

Simple question. You think you got it all figured out and then...

I always thought (because of what I'd read) that ketosis or having ketones in your urine, indicated that you were burning fat.

I was at my dr. appt today and he said I had ketones in my urine "which means you're buring too much protien." (What he said.)

Okay, so what is ketosis?

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Ketosis is burning fat, not protein.

Ketoacidosis is when you are burning protein and that is unhealthy. This happens when people are starving themselves.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:32

I am most certainly NOT starving myself. (Hee Hee Hee)

I eat plenty, thank you. (and unfortunately.)
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 13:36

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%

Yep! Me too!

I am in Ketosis and working out AND I have gained a pound of muscle in the last month, so no problems there!

You just make sure to take all your vitamins!!

~shelly
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:19

Stats: 144/140/125 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

dont have any preg experience myself, but are you sure it is a good idea to be in ketosis while pregnant? Also, I notice on the pack of ketostix I have something about pregnant women checking for ketones...there is some kind of diabetes brought on by pregnancy. Like I said, I'm use you know more about this than me, just want to make sure you are safe and healthy along with the baby when its here!!! Good luck!

BTW ketosis is fat burning not proteins. maybe dr mis-spoke?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 14:58

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Dr.s are like any other proffesionals, they don't know everything. There's a misconception about Katosis. A GP will hear the word Ketosis and because of the "sis" at the end will talk about it as if it is a bad thing. If you ask an endo expert, he'll understand better the different types of ketosis.

I know of kids suffer from epilepsy who are put on "the Ketogenic" diet (fat and protein, 0 carbs) where they are constanly in ketosis. Ketosis changes some metabolic proccess in the brain and for some people eliminates epilepsy symptoms.
I know of people who are on the diet for years.. This diet concept is over 80 years old, and if it would have been bad for your muscles or kidneys we would have known it by now...
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 15:15

er badger

Don't worry, I'm not TRYING to be in ketosis. I was very, very surprised when they gave me that info. I'm just trying to eat healthy and avoid overdoing the carbs while pregnant.

I'm a low carber in normal times and right now I'm just trying to be reasonable. Cantelope instead of bananas, spinach, not corn, yadda, yadda, yadda... I'm trying not to gain a million pounds this pregnancy. (It's number 4 for me.) I came out of my last three pregnancies looking like Mama Cass. (I'm dating myself, I know.)

Ketosis isn't a good thing for the baby, so I don't want to be in it right now. I was just really confused about the definition when the dr. told me his little blurb about burning too many proteins. So much mis information out there it's scary!!!

Thanks for all the answers, friends!

Jeannie