Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/162/135
BF:
Progress: -23%
Default Gout as side effect

Just got back from the doctor and my foot had been painful and swollen since last Thursday. I have been doing the Atkins diet for about a month. I started taking L-Carintun (probably spelled that wrong) last Thursday. This was a supplemetn that I had read about to take while doing the Atkins. It think that it is a coincidence that the L-Carintum may have caused the problem. The doctor said that I had Gout from too much protein (only has 6-8 ounces each meal) It was probably elevated by the L-Caritum but it is a side effect of the diet as the ketosis increases blood levels of uric acid. This is what caused the gout. Sadly I have to quit the diet. I will take with me the ne knowledge of how carbs have affected my life and will try to reduce them.

Thank you for all the help and advice that I have recieved from you even if it was just reading the threads.

Do you know of any other diets that are not so drastically in ketosis and would be safer but still lowers carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 147/138/105 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default You Might Give This a Try

Sorry to hear of your problem with gout. If you want to continue low-carb but not as drastic as Atkins......you might try the CAD diet....Carbohydrate Addicts Diet. You will tend to lose weight a little slower but it does work. I have done the diet before and loved it. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Cindy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Tamika,
There are all kinds of lowcarb diets. A long time ago I was told I was glucose intolerant. The dr. gave me the glycemic index chart and told me to eat mostly the low foods. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months. I cut out bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, corn and candy, and kept my calories at 1200.

I hadn't heard of lowcarb at the time, the only thing I counted was calories.

You should find out what the special diet needs for gout are. Also aren't there medications you take for that?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 12:44

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Awwww Tamika I am sorry to hear.

The Gout is nothing nice. My fiancee has Gout and does Atkins. We are on induction and have been for some time.

His doctor placed him on medication to keep his uric acid levels low. And suggested he has no shellfish, no organ meat and try to have red meat only a couple times a week.

This has worked so far. Sorry you have to switch to another WOE, I am only familiar with Atkins so I am not of much help. But good luck to you.

Let us know how you make out, and what you decide to do.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 13:18

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default You may not need to quit...

So many doctors are quick to point the finger at low carbing as the cause of any ailment that you can come into their offices for. I'm surprised that some haven't tried to pin the common cold on it yet.
Having said that, I did a quick bit of research on the internet and eating protein was not listed as a chief contributor to gout per se...only specific ones that are high in purines such as organ meats and shellfish.
Interestingly enough, the best way to prevent gout attacks according to this source is to drink plenty of water and avoid alcohol completely.

Here is the quote:

"How is gout treated?

Preventing acute gout attacks is equally as important as treating the acute arthritis. Prevention of acute gout involves maintaining adequate fluid intake, weight reduction, dietary changes, reduction in alcohol consumption, and medications to reduce hyperuricemia.

Maintaining adequate fluid intake helps prevent acute gout attacks. Adequate fluid intake also decreases the risk of kidney stone formation in patients with gout. Alcohol is known to have diuretic effects which can contribute to dehydration and precipitate acute gout attacks. Alcohol can also affect uric acid metabolism and cause hyperuricemia.

Dietary changes can help reduce uric acid levels in the blood. Since purine chemicals are converted by the body into uric acid, purine rich foods are avoided. Examples of foods rich in purine include shellfish and organ meats, such as liver, brains, kidneys, and sweetbreads.

Weight reduction can be helpful in lowering the risk of recurrent attacks of gout."

Another point this source made is that gout is not necessarily caused by diet, but rather by an inherited genetic trait that causes the body to handle purines poorly.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:03

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

Have you been taking Vitamin C supplements?

I always thought that was a big factor in preventing Gout.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default i too have gout and

ive found that the atkins diet is actually helping with my gout. i have less pain and swelling now than i did before. And as i understand it gout is not too much protien but how your kidneys process it. meaning that the kidneys are not filtering out the uric acid. I am on medication and the atkins diet is actually helping me. Certain foods can actually trigger a attack but you will need to see what your trigger foods are.
linda
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:55

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%

Actually Vitamin C raises the Uric Levels.

I say go for a 2nd opinion.