Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/159/140
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default New here and needs some suggestions, please!

Hi,

I am new here and wondered if someone could help...maybe others have done this.

I started doing Atkins about 6 weeks ago, had a good start of 8 pounds lost and for the last 2 weeks, I am just stopping in the fat loss department. I added cardio and more weights and stopped diet soda. I can't seem to pin point what is making me lose or what is making me not.

I read the CAD and thought I would try that or move into that. It seemed easier to work with my schedule and I wondered if any one had suggestions how to 'slide" into the CAD after Atkins. Will I gain weight as I am going to add carbs in my RM?

Any thoughts? I would really appreciate it. Also, this is a great site and all of you are just incredible. Very, very inspiring and kick-ass!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 11:42

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

no need to do anything special. Just make sure you read the CAD book so you understand what you need to do and then start. Alot of people do gain back a little weight changing but Im told it goes away quickly. I didnt gain switching.

Atkins allows alot of things that CAD doesnt. No artificial sweetners, no sugar free candy, no snacks, no nuts, no shakes , no bars. (except during reward meal) I think alot of those things stall another people. I am thinking CAD works where atkins doesnt sometimes because you have to be more disciplined about those things. . CAD seems easier but actually its alot more structured. At least thats mho

Jaden
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: Sugarbusters!
Stats: 223/209/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

i agree with jaden. you are giving up sweeteners and snacks, etc, but look what you are getting in return. a reward meal where you can actually eat a baked potato or a piece of pie. and its flexible as far as when you eat your RM. just find what works for you and roll with it. im in no way an expert, being that i just started myself, but after doing atkins for a while, CAD is a breeze.
Good Luck to you!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:10

BF:

Thanks to both of you~

That is encouraging...

One thing, in the reward meal...the most important thing is the proper ratio of protein, fats, and carbs...more so than calories? That I can't get over in my diet-driven mind.

Do either of you use extra flaxseed oil in your meals? I was told by so many people that i should increase my good oils and they suggested Udo's for that. I was going to add a tablespoon to my morning protein shake and maybe on some salad.

The other thing that stuck out from what you wrote, I can use the Atkins Advantage bars as a non-RM meal, can't I?

Thanks again...I appreciate it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:27

Plan: Atkins now CAD
Stats: 238/193/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 51%

according to some people doing CAD balancing the meal isnt necessarily as important as it says it is in CALP. I would definately try to be as balanced as possible if for no other reason then its the most healthy. The most important key seems to be no eating after that RM hour is up.

The atkins advantage bars have sugar alcohols in them. On Cad Sugar alcohols and fiber are not deductable so that would make bars illegal. Also, one of the theorys on CAD is that any sweet taste, sugar free or not causes your body to give an insulin spike. The whole point of CAD (unlike atkins) is not to get those insulin spikes so since the bars are sweet I am guessing that would make them double illegal. I would definately not use them till you get into the swing of cad and are losing and "feeling" the diet.

If you really want to try adding the bars *later*, Id try adding one and not adding anything else new that day and see how it effects you. I am like that with the shakes. I always had a shake for breakfast on atkins. I stopped for cad but in a few weeks when I have a good feel for things I might try adding a shake to see how it effects me.

Good luck

Jaden
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 15:12

BF:

I have like 100 bars in my pantry...same hold true to the Atkins shake stuff? I bought keto-lite shake stuff and some others...I don't think they have any sugar alcohols in them (I think) and their carb grams are low 2-5 net grams.

I better investigate.

Drats~
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 18:55

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

You can always save them for your RM. I am one that anything sweet at any other time than RM makes me stall or even gain, so I avoid them at CM and save them for RM if it's something I really want.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 19:19

BF:
Default Ding-dong...

Perfect.

I didn't even think of that...I think my mind is stalling with all of this new menu and food planning! I was actually thinking of selling them on E-bay but your suggestion is great. Let's put it this way, I would easily eat a bar instead of a pint of Ben & Jerry's 9which was an old pastime) as dessert for my RM.

Thanks for waking me up!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 09:22

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I'm glad you like the idea. I still have some Atkins bars and I use them at RM sometimes when I feel like I want something sweet but don't want all the sugar.

CAD is really cool for that reason... You always have that RM each day to eat what you want to.