Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:35

Plan: Undecided
Stats: 188/188/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Fear of Veggies

I'm still undecided on which diet to go on, however I know that I will be going low-carb. Here's my problem: I have an excessive fear of all vegitables and green foods! Before I go full force on the diet, I am going to attempt to kill this irrational fear of mine so I can eat healthy!

My friend attempted to help me out by making some brocilli & velvetta cheese last night... I tried it and didn't whole heartedly hate it but I didn't feel as though I would ever desire to eat it again...

Next on the list is asparagus. I'll let you know how that goes...

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me break through to my green roots??? If things stay as they are now, all I will be left with is meat and eggs and I bet that will wear me down after a while. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:50
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Does this hate also include lettuce? You can go far with salads. Also if it helps, you taste buds will change and after a while you may find you like the dreaded veggies more than before.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 19:50

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Next on the list is asparagus. I'll let you know how that goes...

Try wrapping 5 or 6 medium thick spears of asparagus in a slice of bacon and roasting it in the oven at about 375 degrees for half an hour or until the spears are tender. Serve with a splash of lemon juice, if desired. Wonderful stuff!

Good for you on trying to find veggies that you can eat and get past your dislike for them. Keep trying different veggies and different ways of preparing them until you find some that you can at least tolerate even if you don't exactly love them at first. I've heard it said that you really need to taste something more than 2 dozen times (or was it 4?) before you can honestly say that you don't like it...you need to give your taste buds time to adjust to a new taste before you can decide if you really like it or not. This is probably why I make my kids at least take a bite of everything even if they've had it before. My motto to them: "You have to at least try it before you say yuck! even if you've had it before. Tastes change and this time you might find that you like it."