Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 10:57

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%
Unhappy Family pressure to cheat??

Went to dinner with friends last night to a very nice chinese restaurant. (didn't know that's where we'd be going) I tried to find something LC on the menu but there wasn't much without sauces etc. My dh, who has been following this WOE with me but cheats all the time, began pressuring me to 'take the night off'. I think he wanted license to do the same. He began telling me that it would be rude and make others uncomfortable if I made a fuss over what I could or couldn't eat.
Good news is that I held my ground and ordered chicken and broccoli. There was a sweet sauce on it, but at least I tried.

How have others handled this type of pressure?
Amy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 11:10

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

I told my family, absolutely noooo chinese restaurants!!! But if I had to go, I probably would try to ask the people there if they could fix it without the sauce. I always let it be known Im a low-carber in any restaurant and have surprisingly been well accomodated. I know some restaurants can't adjust their menus but I sure try at least!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 11:10
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

As I continue with this way of eating longer, and the results are more obvious, I have learned to just say no to people who pressure me to eat something I don't want to eat. Frankly, those people are being rude. You can order chicken and broccoli without the sauce or you can insist that you do not eat Chinese food and you want to go to another type of restaurant. I think most of us are more reluctant to do that when we are starting this way of eating, because we have tried and failed at so many diets and don't want to make ourselves look like fools by announcing we are on another diet and then publicly failing once more. It definitely gets easier to assert your needs the more confident you get that this way of eating is working for you.

Tell your husband you are not making a fuss, you are merely asserting your needs, just like you would if you have a food allergy. It sounds like he was the one making the fuss.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 11:20
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I do the same thing you did-make the best choice I can under the circumstances. It always amazes me that people don't want me to be rude when I am considering my health. I understand that my choices are not the same as other people's, and I certainly do not expect other people to revolve their world around my choices. Since I am usually the "difficult" one when it comes to eating out, I normally don't say anything about where we go unless I know for sure there will be nothing on the menu for me. I can usually get a salad or a veggie plate no matter what. My mom and I did walk out of an Applebee's once because I looked at the menu and couldn't find ONE thing I could eat (being a vegetarian low carber has it's charm, huh?) But, I do appreciate it when my choices are at least taken into some consideration.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 17:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%

Hi Amy,

I think the only solution is to get divorced. (just kidding)

Oh beef and brocoli is a good choice. you can take out the baby corn and the rest is LC.

Jon
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 17:25

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I had chinese with my coworkers on friday. I got steamed veggies with chicken and shrimp with some garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. It was delicious! I also get chicken wings from our local restaurant (they only put soy sauce). Don't be afraid to make special requests of the chef! You may even find out the chef knows a bit about lowcarbing or is one and makes you something fabulous!

My family and friends realized quickly that I have completely changed my life in many ways, that this isn't a fad for me. At first they didn't realize just how much one cheat could mess things up, but as they learn over the time that I've been doing this and when they ask questions about why I can't have this or that, they understand. They are finally past feeling guilty about eating things I can't have in front of me, strangely that took the longest!

You're one of the new a$$kickers aren't ya? I am one of the old a$$kickers, it's gotten too big now, can't keep up anymore. Too much of a chore. Are you aware of the NE Low Carb Connection thread over at LCF??? Anyways, We're getting together 4/6/03 at 11 am up at Smokey Bones in Tyngsborough. You're welcome to come if you'd like.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 17:58
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
You're one of the new a$$kickers aren't ya? I am one of the old a$$kickers,

Dark Lotus - Just curious here, are you refering to one of the quitsmoking sites, I used to log into one and Ashkickers was a well used slogan, actually I haven't checked in there in a while maybe I should - I used a different alias tho - can't quite remember what it was - wow it's been that long-who knew 3 months could seem like 3 years
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-23-03, 18:21

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Nope, the a$$kickers over at low-carb-friends
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 07:57

Plan: Atkins, KISS, BFL
Stats: 205/153/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Yes, I'm a new A$$kicker. Doing everything I can to keep my motivation up. I do enjoy the group but am sorry that the new folks are squeezing the originals out.

I don't think I'll be able to make the April lunch. I have to work that day. Thanks for inviting me though, Darklotus.

Amy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 10:04

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Thumbs down

Family Pressure STINKS!!

I get it ALL the time from my BF. He THINKS he is a low carber but eat whatever he wants when he wants. I call that a weekend warrior.

At a chinese restaurant I order the chicken wings. That is about all I have ordered. I tend to eat before we go and pick.

I have gotten to the point where I don;t care anymore if someone gets offended. This is my health. I would not take a vegetarian to a Texas BBQ and expect them to eat.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: somersize
Stats: 180/178/126
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default My daughter asks for no sauce

My daughter hates chinese, so when we go, she orders sweet and sour chicken without the sauce. They don't blink an eye. I think you could ask for whatever without the sauce.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:34

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi,
I have found if I say I am allergic to things like cornstarch, MSG and sugar they will steam veggies and seafood or chicken without any problem. The egg drop soup is good also. Pat S
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 11:59

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

Going out with my family for dinner is the hardest thing for me. First of all... the main 2 foods we go out for is Tai and East Indian. Get the picture. In these two cases we don't order individual dishes... everything is shared, and includes steamed rice (the devil disguised in white). A couple of times I've passed on going out... and stayed at home alone and eaten low-carb. But occasionally I do go and try to eat as little as possible. I can't avoid going out completely, I'd miss out on family time which I love. The thing is, I can't demand a differet place to eat as I'm the only one with real restrictions... and I can't force my WOL on others. If this is going to be my WOL, I have to allow for the occasional binge, otherwise I'll just make myself miserable trying to be the "perfect" low-carber. Not going to happen!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 12:19
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Someone else just asked about this...

I like the egg foo young dishes without gravy or rice. They are kind of deep fried omelets w/ induction allowed veggies.

I use a little hot chili oil and soy sauce. Filling and full of protein. Good LC food.

Now Thai and Japanese are much harder but I found that I still can enjoy chinese food.