Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 08:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/159/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Unhappy How can this be?

I have been doing Atkins since the middle of March. I have lost 20 pounds. That's if you take Friday's scale reading. As of today I am up 4 pounds I haven't cheated or changed what I am eating at all. I could understand a pound of water now and then but 4??
Maybe I shouldn't weigh everyday. But I am so curious. Does anyone else have these large fluctuations? I'm making myself crazy! Sweebie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 08:47

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

Yep don't stress over a large fluctuation, could be anything! Drink hoards of water today, and remember time of month affects your weight huge also.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 10:24

BF:

Thanks YukonSun. I am past the TOM thing. Had that removed a year ago. I am 55 and not as patient as I should be. I'll go for the water.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 19:13

Stats: 236.5/223/120
BF:
Progress: 12%

If they left you an ovary, TOM still applies.

What did you eat the day before your weighin?
You could be retaining water or it could be the weight of what you ate. A pound of food remains a pound whether it is inside you or outside of you. And if you didn't have a______, it will show up on the scale. (sorry to be so vulgar, but I think this is need-to-know information).

Good Luck and keep on truckin'

Last edited by Roberta : Sun, May-18-03 at 19:17.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 21:11

BF:

Thank you Roberta. And you are no doubt right. I have no TOM anymore. Nothing was left. And I quit my hormones slightly over a month ago. I'm sure there is some shock going on as the night sweats and hot flashes are unbelievable. That aside...and without getting graphic...I am having trouble with being regular. I could use suggestions on what to do about that. I finally resorted to a serious laxative and tonight I am feeling much better. I do think, too, I will try to not weigh everyday. No sense making myself nuts.
I do appreciate the caring response. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 21:35

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Sweebie
I am in the same situation Ovaries wise. I will be interested to learn of your adventures without HRT.
I went that route once and I am now back on it.
For regularity I have been using about 2 tsp. Psyllium husk in a big glass of water twice a day {buy it at a Heath Food Store}Beside keeping you regular it gives you a feeling of fullness.

Pene
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: south beach
Stats: 245/261/180 Female 63
BF:
Progress: -25%

hi sweebie
I am impressed with your 20 pound loss. GOOD GOING !! I have been low carbing for three months and have not lost but a couple of pounds and that is a + or - thing. I am pleased that although I stopped HRT in January and I began gaining [8 pounds in one month] and after starting an atkins plan I stopped gaining.
My body is reacting as though I am pregnant, at least the way it did 40 years ago when I was.
when I stopped HRT I did it very gradually over 2 years. I took it for ten years altogether.
One thing unusual in the last three months is that I have lost an inch around each thigh and gained an inch+ around my waist and hips.
we should start a life after HRT group!
good luck
helen
"talkercise"
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 08:43

Plan: PP
Stats: 285/270/230
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default once a week.....

sweebie,

I know it is hard to do, but don't weigh yourself everyday. You can loose 2 punds one day, and gain 3 the next. It can become depressing. Try to weigh yourself once a week, and look for the results.....

Mark
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:05

BF:

Penelope & Talkercise, I was only on HRT for a year or so. My triglycerides (sp?) jumped from normal to over 700. My doctor took me off the hormones but then allowed me to have 2mg Estradiol. It helped with the hot flashes and night sweats but that's all. The other problems (and you KNOW what I mean) stayed the same. So I took myself off them. I don't cry like I thought I would, but the hot flashes are incredible. I am trying to convince myself that each time I set myself on fire that I am bound to be burning some calories or something useful.
I gained alot of "middle" weight after the hysterectomy. UGH.
I think it is getting alittle better. I just measured today so I have a base. Hadn't done that for fear of freaking myself out.
I really appreciate this group or forum or whatever you call it. I have learned so much and found people who really are walking the walk. Thanks to all. Sweebie
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 09:07

BF:

Mark, I know you're right. I have made myself a promise that I would only weigh twice a week. Less if I can manage it. The curiosity gets to me but then I am usually disappointed. Not good for the spirit. Thanks for your imput. Sweebie
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-29-04, 16:50

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

...summer is almost here.
I hope everything is fine with you
Pene