Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 303/295.5/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Question About Fats And Carbs

Hi, everyone...
As a few of you know, I'm a newbie... been on this plan for 3 days now; and I was wondering something.

I checked out the other threads, and apparently, I'm not getting ENOUGH carbs. I am on the Atkins 2 week Induction; and I've been getting around 7 carbs a day, and a LOT of fat. I was wondering if this is ok, because I am going exactly by what Dr. Atkins says in his book, and there is no way that I can see that I can get closer to 20 carbs a day. I don't want this to slow my weightloss.... I have a long way to go....

Any help from you "seasoned professionals" would be wonderful.. thanks for all the help...

Below is a sample menu of what I eat in a day.. please let me know if I should tweak it a bit....

meal 1:1 egg white1 and 2 whole eggs

meal 2: 1 oz of cheddar cheese

meal 3: salad (2 cups of lettuce), with 2 fried chicken strips, 1 oz cheddar cheese, 1 whole egg and 1 egg white

meal 4: 3 fried chicken strips ( in Canola oil), 1 oz cheese, and a fiber drink with 2 impact carbs and made with Sucralose

Meal 5: 15 shrimp fried in butter

Meal 6: 1 oz cheese
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 14:00
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

IF you take into account that items like eggs and cheese do carry some carbs in them, you may find you get more than you think. Do you use dressing on your salad?
Make sure you get plenty of water and relax!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 14:30
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

heya,

my suggestion is get it more veggies.

Add some spinach and mushrooms to the eggs and you dont need to eat just the whites, the yolks have all the vitamins and other good stuff.

maybe add some more veggies to your lunch instead of just 2 cups of lettuce, maybe some more leafy greens, some cucumber and a nice full fat dressing. I am assuming by chicken strips its just sliced breast no flour or coating of any kind.

Meal 4 I would also suggest more veggies instead of the fiber drink, maybe celery with cream cheese or ranch dressing? also does your drink have any sugar alcohols in it? Not sure thats a good idea on induction.

Basically you get the picture, add veggies when you can. Half an avocado, some sliced tomatoes, a little bit of onion, broccoli, peppers, all kinds of greens you'll get plenty of fiber and vitamins not to mention help raise your carb count.

try keeping an account at www.fitday.com to track what you eat.

I aim for 65-70% calories from fat 5% carbs and 25-30% protein.

good luck
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 15:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

If carbs are too low, it's a good sign that calories might be too low as well. If you keep that up for too long your metabolism might slow, making it hard to lose.