Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/200/185 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Default cutting fat

if i cut out some fat could i tone up better
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 17:18

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I think it depends on how much fat you are eating. I know we're conditioned to think we have to reduce fat to lose weight, but Dr. Atkins said you have to eat fat to lose fat. I do have better success if I am reasonable. I have heard some say you can eat all you want as long as its not carbs. It doesn't seem to work that way for me. Good Luck, Mary
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 18:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/224.1/205 Male 70 inches
BF:39%/27.1%/20%
Progress: 68%

HMMM, I don't think so. If you want to tone up, you need to exercise. The primary exercise to tone up would be weight training though cardio exercise will help you a bit if your muscles are really out of condition.

Now, the reduction of body fat will enhance the affect of appearing more toned. But...cutting out the fat isn't necessary if you are following good LC eating basics.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 18:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Holland, I have to agree with CueBald1. Cutting out dietary fat isn't going to help with 'toning' - it might actually be detrimental to your success.

"Toning" is a nasty word in the fitness world. It's been so overused by people who don't understand what it means that it doesn't mean much anymore. "Tone" refers to the tension of a muscle at rest. To achieve this you have to work those muscles by having them move something which causes them to tear and rebuild (i.e, resistance / weighted exercises).

Getting 'toned' or leaner is a function of body fat, or more specifically of less body fat Lifting weights, doing moderate cardio and eating adequate calories will achieve this for you. You're doing great so far! If you're feeling a little stalled out remember how well you've done to date - and realize that when a body lose a significant amount of fat it needs time to adjust to this. Stalls can suck, but they are necessary.

Before you cut out any fat from your diet you should have a read through this amazing post.

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Just agreeing with what others have said. I've tried cutting fat and eating more protein while weight training intensely. It built muscle, but didn't make me look any more "toned," or, I didn't lose any fat. For me what gets things moving is decreasing calories and keeping the fat high. However, if you've got a ways to go before goal I wouldn't recommend decreasing calories drastically, you don't want to lower your metabolism to the point of not being able to get to goal while eating a reasonable amount of calories.

Meg

Last edited by Meg_S : Mon, Aug-11-03 at 16:21.