Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:27

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%
Default Weighing benefit versus injury - help, please

As you might guess from my name, I ride my bike to work. I love it. The route I take is gorgeous; I see lots of wildlife and it's very peaceful. I get cardio twice a day by doing this, I have to climb a pretty good hill everyday, and I often lengthen the ride because I enjoy it so much. Moreover, it's the only exercise I have found that I like.

Here's the problem: I have a decade-old case of tendonitis in my wrists from repetitive motion in a job I used to have. Now I use a computer all day, which adds to the irritation. But the big source of re-injury is resting my weight on my palms on the handlebars or bar ends while riding my bike.

Should I just endure the pain, keep re-injuring my wrists, and take anti-inflamtories? I NEED the exercise and this works for me (mostly). Is there some way of judging whether I'm doing more harm or good?

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 18:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi. I noticed your post, and though I'm no expert I thought that I would add my 2 cents (if you even think it's worth that much!! )

I would definitely not put additional stress on a previous injury. If you injure yourself further you may not be able to ride your bike at all, right?

Have you considered adjusting the seat and/or the handlebars? Maybe if the seat was a bit lower than the handlebars more of your weight would be distributed to the seat? (again, I'm no bike expert here).

Also, have you considered getting shock absorbers for your bike? Some sort of suspension system may help to alleviate some of the jarring that can occur as you hit bumps and the like. I would think that it would be a lot easier on your joints.

Maybe someone with more biking experience can comment on this??

KC
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 06:23
Registered Member

Plan: None
Stats: 200/195/195
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Biking

Might be a few ways to help this without getting a new bike - look into aero bars or mountain bike handles (http://www.performancebike.com is a good place to work). Might take a little getting used to but the weight of your body is also supported by your elbows here. Only problem is switching from regular grip to the aero grip - a little practice and you will get it - this can include braking so you might look into adding a 'bleeder' brake so you can have a brake handle on the aero bars also. Mountain bike grips can change the angle and may help. In addition, definitely, definitely get a good pair of gloves (performance has plenty).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 18:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Thanks for your input.

KC - Raising the handlebar is an interesting idea. I know I'm not suposed to lower the seat, though it's quite high - something about the angle of the kne during a pedalstroke. I've got front suspension and a suspension seatpost; that's a good part of what makes riding so much fun.

Metaldude - The site you sent me to is great. I've never thought of aero bars (never seen them actually). Great idea. Do they go on mountain bikes? Not sure what you mean by mountain bike handles. I added grips recently and I think they're helping. I made the mistake, though, of switching to unpadded gloves and immediately felt the twinge of a pinched nerve.

Thanks for the help.