Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-02, 22:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Question YO-YO DIETING: Effects on Rate of Loss

YO! Y'ALL!

I've read here and elsewhere, including Atkins about yo-yo dieting making it harder to lose. I'd like to know what constitutes yo-yo dieting? How does it affect rate of loss? And I'd like to know if, by definition, I'm a yo-yo? (My husband might agree.) In a nuthshell, here's my diet history: (and what would you make of this pattern?):

Age: 30: 146 lbs - followed two diets, Jane Fonda the carb queen!, and Nutri-System (remember? Foul!)
Went from 146 to 135.

Age: 34: 137 lbs. Made up my own starvation diet to get down to 122. By the end of it, I was eating cans of tuna.

Over the next 10 years fed up with diets, ate whatever I wanted, but oddly, read tons of diet and exercise books! ( Vicarious living indeed! During these years, I also became hypothyroid which probably contributed to some of this weight gain. Now treated.

During that time plateaued at 157, then 162, peaking at 169, which prompted:

Age: 44: 169lbs. Atkins, went from 169-145. Went back to old way of eating. Regained all but 7 lbs.

Age: 45: 162 Atkins (Started currently, Jan. 2000) with goal weight of 125. Finally realised I can't just eat whatever I put my hands on.

Does this make me a yo-yo dieter? Will it likely affect my diet? Have I ruined my metabolism. Is there some diet guru who knows these things? Thanks for any help,

Ruby

Last edited by ruby : Wed, Jan-16-02 at 22:46.
Sponsored Links