Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-02, 23:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 174/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Cool Jumping Rope

Hi all! Does anybody here jump rope for their main cardio workout?

I started jumping a month ago. First I could only do it 2 minutes, then 3, then 5, then 10, and now 15. I don't do speed jumping (well a little now and then ) but more like the way I jumped as a young girl; jump the rope then hop, jump the rope then hop and so on. I really like it because it doesn't depend on the weather. I can listen to music. The equipment is cheap. And sometimes it's actually a little fun.

Am I doing enough to warrant upping my carbs? If so, how much? Today I ate a total of 17 carbs. Since I started LCing a week ago, my carb intake hasn't reach 20, except for yesterday when I ate too many plum tomatoes (it was 23 then). I

My husband is LCing about the same as me, but he isn't exercising right now.

Thanks for listening. ~ Carolyn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:11

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I’m also jumping rope for my cardio. I do 3 min of jumping and then 30 seconds of rest. I do 4 sets for a total of 12 min total. It seems to be working ok for me but I will go back to sprints as soon as it is light enough in the mornings. As for upping your carbs, the Protein Power Plan recommends that you keep your carbs at or below 30 grams a day until you near your goal so you can up them to that level. While I was trying to loss my weight I kept my carbs around 20 grams while only doing aerobics and I was able to average a loss of about 2 lbs a week I hope this helps and good luck
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 10:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 174/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Smile Thanks

I'm glad I'm not the only jumper! Do you speed jump? I can only keep that kind of jumping up for about 30 seconds at a time. You sprint too? Do you normally run?

Thanks for the info. I am using Protein Power too but it's kind of vague about how long you should stay on Phase 1. Actually I think I'm ready to add a little carb. Since I'm usually not above 20, it would probably be good to go up to 30. I have a friend who kept her carbs at 40 and still lost about 2 pounds a week. Phase 2 allows 55 which seems like an awful lot.

After reading the book, I almost have carb-phobia! It's hard to add. I think adding a cup of milk a day to my diet (12 g.) and not changing anything else might be a good idea.

This is the first day of my second week and I'm tired all the time. Perhaps a little increase is good.

Thanks again!

~Carolyn
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-02, 14:26

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I very my speed to keep it interesting. I mostly do one jump per rotation of the rope and I alternate between one leg(jogging style) and two footed jumping. Lately I have been trying to slow down some and jump higher, you can really feel the burn in your calves when you do the high jumps. Before the days got so short I would jog out in the open area behind our house(takes about 4 min to get out there) and do wind sprints. These are very good at speeding up your metabolism. I was sprinting for 20 seconds and resting for 10. I would do 4 sets 4 with 30 seconds between sets. I would then jog back home(another 4 min) for a total time of 16 minutes of aerobics. I here you about the carbo-phobia, there for awhile I was not eating anything but meat, eggs, cheese and a handful of nuts so my carb count was probably below 15 most of the time. I have recently been adding carbs back in and I am probably up to 50 grams or so a day and my weight has been going up and down around 176.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-06-03, 16:10
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I, too, enjoy jumping rope, unfortunately I can't do it in my basement (ceiling too low) and I can't do it anywhere else in the house because I'll wake everyone up. This leaves the garage. My UNHEATED garage. I jumped for about 20 minutes on a cold, Iowa winter morning. Thought my lungs were going to explode. Other than that, I really enjoyed it. I was trying 30 seconds, jumping, 30 seconds 'speed jumping', 30 seconds walking. TOUGH! Glad I saw this post, I'll be digging the rope out again, soon.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-03, 19:33

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 192/167/145 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 53%

I use to love jumping rope as a child! Think I might get a new one and give it a go. Thanks for reminding me

Kara