Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 22:06

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Pilates for Dummies-Question

Hi
I just bought the Pilates for Dummies DVD and I did the first five exercises( I will add five everyday). Is it okay to do Pilates everyday or do you need a break in between workouts? I'm only adding five exercises a day, so I thought it would be okay if I did it everyday. I'm really excited about starting Pilates, so I want to really get each exercise down, so I figured doing a couple everyday would be better. I want to get to the point that I can do the whole workout.

I also do the trendmill 20-30 min about 3 times a week.

thanks
roxie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:35
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Does the program have any suggestions about how often you should do it?

I'm planning on looking into Pilates after I'm done my 12 weeks of BFL, but I was going to get the Windsor kind.

If you feel comfortable doing it, I'd say you could do it 5 times a week or so. If it makes you sore, then don't use those sore muscles the next day, give it at least one day in between workouts.

Beth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 16:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

I use the Winsor Pilates tapes, and Mari Winsor recommends doing them three times a week.

And while I'm here I may as well mention that I love Winsor Pilates, which I've been doing for two weeks and I can already see changes, especially in the stomach area.

Karla
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 20:59

BF:

Hi , I was going to do Wisnor Pilates, yet the price is kinda high. I figured the dummies dvd is cheaper and if I like it then I will go to the wisnor dvd. I also heard that the dummies dvd has all the wisnor exercises, so I hope I'm covered. I'm adding five a day, so today I did 10 of the 18 exercises. I know w/ Pilates quality is more important, so I'm really concentrating on getting the exercises precise. My stomach already feels it.

thanks,
roxie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default pilates everyday

Hi
I have done Pilates off and on since college...and being 53 this was long long before it was mainstream at all lol!
There are lots of great Pilates tapes out there now. But they all include the same basis.
You can do Pilates everyday if you like but you don't need to.
It is perfect after cardio.
You can also get things like the Pilates Magic Circle (at qvc or Gaiam.com) and there are tapes that use it as well. In addition there are tapes for using Pilates exercises with stretch bands (really nice and effective) and I think some that you can use with an exercise ball too.
The only caveat is that unless you are using something like the bands or the circle (or a Pilates machine) Pilates does not work your upper body as much as other workouts (my opinion)
QVC sells one of the best Pilates tapes around I think because it includes 3 complete workouts on it, beginner, intermediate and advanced with lots of terrific, precise demonstration separate from the workouts.
Winsor Pilates is great too. You can get the Winsor tapes at Collagevideo.com separately if you don't want to buy the entire set. (And they have lots of other Pilates tapes as well.)

have fun!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:27

Stats: 132/126.7/118
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default pilates everyday

I, to use Winsor Pilates, and I was doing it every day, and varying which part of the body I worked. Now that I am back into eDiets, I have an exercise routine that they provide me with weights/toning etc, so I only do pilates 2 times a week, but usually two different tapes. Great thing about winsor is that you get a set of tapes, one for each body part, or on busy days, a 20 in accelerated that works whole body. I can actually see my abs under all the blubber again! A definite winner.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 16:40
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default new pilates tapes

just got my new collage video catalog (also online) and I see they have a new Denise Austin pilates tape that is modified pilates exercises standing up. And a pilate tape using an exercise ball and both are very affordable.
I too like Winsor cause the tape is 20 minutes...just enough time to hold my interest!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 14:54

Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%

they offer pilates and power pilates at my gym so i participate 3 days a week. i have found that this is plenty for me as i also do kickboxing and spinning. the great thing about pilates is that it works on strength and flexibility while at the same time calming to the spirit, mind and body.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 19:12

BF:
Smile

I have done the dummies dvd for 2 weeks now, and I already can see results! My abs and back feel tighter. I'm so happy!

Roxie
thanks everyone!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 08:49

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 194/192.5/184 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Question questions about pilates

Hi Roxie,

I am also thinking about getting this video. My abs are extremely weak, how were yours when you started? I have about 60 pounds to lose, but I've been doing some exercise for awhile. Were you familiar at all with Pilates before you started?

Ellen
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-04-03, 11:35

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Roxie,

This is a revision to my last post on this subject, because, while I did hear Mari Winsor recommend doing pilates three times a week, I found a different answer on her web site:

"With over 4 million videos already sold, this one-of-a-kind Pilates program is guaranteed to Sculpt Your Body Slim™ in as little as 20 minutes a day."

This sounds as though you can do them every day, at least the Twenty Minute workout; the Accelerated Body Sculpting workout, which would proabably kill me if I tried it now, is an hour. That's probably the one to do three times a week.

So I think I'll start doing the Twenty Minute workout every day instead of three times a week. Sheesh! As someone who normally hates to exercise, I cannot believe I just wrote that!!!

Hope I haven't confused things further!

Karla
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-03, 21:15

Stats: 272.2/193.2/182
BF:Not Much
Progress: 88%
Cool Pilates for Dummies-Question

I would personally say that if you don't expierence any muscle pain or mass fatigue you could probably do it everyday. Just keep in mind that if you do the same routine everyday, after awhile you could plateau faster.

Just my thougths,
_Bigred

Last edited by _Bigred : Thu, Jun-05-03 at 21:17.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-05, 22:03

Plan: Healthy Eating
Stats: 199/160/130 Female 5'6
BF:Watching it close!
Progress: 57%

I didn't realize that doing the same excercise daily can make you plateau quicker!!! wow. thanks for thei info.