Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 14:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/225/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question adjusting Carbs?

If anyone could help me on this one I would really appreciate it. I am doing a lot of training to get back to my pre-accident condition, the problem is when I was working out before I consumed quite a bit of carbs (pasta, rice and grains) I always thought that was the way to go. Now when I am working out I am getting light headed and fatigued and that is not like me. So I wanted to know if I should increase my carb intake a bit?

Thanks Sharon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 10:49

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default carb increase

You might want to try changing your carbs some and see if that helps. Also, make sure you're getting enough protein and taking your vitamins. And, one thing that many don't think of is to make sure you get enough sleep at night.

For quite a while after I started Atkins, I noticed that my muscles fatigued faster and I would get tired out and have little dizzy spells from time to time. Nothing serious, but enough to notice. It's been almost 4 months for me now and I can't even say when those symptoms quit, but they don't bother me anymore. I guess they just eased up gradually and disappeared without me realizing it. I don't know of any real changes I have made that would have stopped them so I just chalk it up to my body finally totally adjusting to this WOL.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 16:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/225/155
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Thanks

I'll try increasing the carbs somewhat. I am getting enough of every thing else but, I guess I still needed a bit more carbs.
Thanks for the advice
Sharon
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-21-02, 16:51

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Sharon,
I use carbs when I'm working out. I don't load up beforehand I just use them during sustained activity. I'm on the Schwarzbein principle and she has a table/guide in her book for the number of daily carbs based on your activity level. I average 70-80 per day and add more on my active/running days.
I've read posts that suggest that your body will adjust to functioning without carbs, maybe it works for some people. I use what works best for me. Good luck to you! Maureen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 10:35

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%
Default more carbs

Just as an FYI... I know Nat has posted under BFL the importance of upping carbs when working out/muscle building, and I also read in an old FLEX magazine last night that it is important to have more carbs if you are muscle building especially.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-22-02, 10:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sharon, depending on the intensity of exercise, yes, you will need to raise carbs from <20g a day. You should also keep in mind that both Atkins and the Eades of Protein Power suggest waiting a good 2 weeks before you begin/resume any exercise program when you start LCing. Your body needs a time out to adjust to burning a different type of fuel.

Nat