Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%
Progress: 0%
Default Ignorant waiter

Went to Ruby Tuesday's last night and ordered the low carb cheesecake for dessert. The waiter asks if I want the strawberry syrup on it. I looked at him like he was crazy and firmly said "No thanks!" Are they really that ignorant?

P.S. Sorry if I'm offending anyone that works there
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:09

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks

I think we just have to be tolerant and remember that not everyone is a low carber or even knows what low carbing is. I'd venture to say that half of the population doesn't know that low carb has anything to do with sugars.

That being said, he should have been trained enough to know you don't ask someone who orders a low carb dessert if they want a pound of sugar on it.

I had a similar experience at O'Charley's. My daughter and I went there for lunch and ordered low carb menu items. The girl asked us if we wanted a basket of bread. I politely refused, but she kept coming back to the table offering us bread....at least two more times. "Are you SURE you don't want some bread???" They really should teach these people the basics of low carbing if they want to be successful.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:11
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I'm just wondering if the strawberry syrup was a "Divinci" syrup or something like that, made with Splenda. Anybody know?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:32

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

Seriously, can you really expect every person out there to understand everyone else's different diet plans? Especially some poor waiter who makes minimum wage? I worked as a waitress for a long time and got really tired of everyone expecting me to understand their different eating plans....at the time I remember thinking Atkins was completely bizarre!!!
Even though low carb has become really, really trendy lately, most of hte population that is not on it (and even some who are but haven't read the book) don't understand it, and waiters in restaurants come across lots of strange requests....that waiter probably thought he/she was being polite by asking ifyou wanted the syrup.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Maybe it was sugar-free syrup!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guess without knowing if it was sugarfree or not, it's hard to tell. Reminds me of the "Do you want fries with that lc burger" thread, though.

I've learned that it never hurts to ask. At subway, they have a big sign advertising the "Atkins Approved" salads, so I don't know what posessed me to ask about the honey-mustard dressing, since the commercials all SAY it's Atkins brand. When I asked, however, the girl said "ours isn't." WHAT???? How many people are getting real honey mustard dressing on the salad they THINK is low carb?

My point, and I do have one, is.... ALWAYS ask.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:50

Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

Actually, it's the only cheesecake they have at the one by my house. On the menu it claims to be low carb without the strawberry topping for those counting carbs, for those that don't give a flying flip about carbs like my DH they can get the same cheesecake with strawberry topping. Maybe they just ask everyone since it's the only version they carry, the waiter I had did the same thing even after I ordered the low carb sides with my big ol' steak.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I'm just wondering if the strawberry syrup was a "Divinci" syrup or something like that, made with Splenda. Anybody know?

It isnt. It says on the menu that the syrup has sugar and isnt for low carbers.

The thing is, they only offer one cheesecake for low carbers AND non low carbers, so they offer the syrup to everyone and the non low carbers can get it with the syrup.

They are just trained to ask.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 08:57
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I've learned that it never hurts to ask. At subway, they have a big sign advertising the "Atkins Approved" salads, so I don't know what posessed me to ask about the honey-mustard dressing, since the commercials all SAY it's Atkins brand. When I asked, however, the girl said "ours isn't." WHAT???? How many people are getting real honey mustard dressing on the salad they THINK is low carb?

OMG Ive been meaning to go there to try the honey mustard dressing because I keep hearing how good it is. Wow!!! Now I'll know to make sure to ask. I am glad I didnt have a chance to check it out yet. Thanks for the warning!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:17

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

As for the Subway salads it's actually "Atkins, sweeter than honey mustard dressing". They don't put it on your salad, it comes in an individual package. So I don't know what the problem was at your subway, potato. The subway near me has all it's salad dressing in these individual packets, regardless of the type. They don't use the stuff they use on the sandwiches for salads. And yes, that dressing is really good and the salad is awesome!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:25

Stats: 116/116/110 Female 5'4
BF:15%

I know I shouldn't expect people to know what kind of diet I'm on and realize now that he was being polite and probably had to ask. It just shocked me for a minute I guess.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:29
Doctor Dirt

Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by climbergrl
Seriously, can you really expect every person out there to understand everyone else's different diet plans? Especially some poor waiter who makes minimum wage?

Well said, climbergrl. I worked my way through grad school waiting on tables, and let me tell you -- for every person who was offended by the waiter asking if you wanted syrup, there are 3 or 4 who would have bitched at the manager because you DIDN'T ask them if they wanted syrup. The waiter did the right thing.

And I WISH I had gotten paid minimum wage -- when I was waitressing, the pay was $2.10 an hour -- restaurants can get away with this because they are allowed to figure your tips into your pay and thus, you get paid less than minimum wage.

Jeannie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:30

Stats: 151/133/134 Female 5'5.5
BF:Getting better!
Progress: 106%

Yeah, you def can't expect everyone to understand the diet and what you can't and can't eat. When ever I go thru burger king and get the atkins burger they always ask me if I want to make a meal out of that.... it makes me chuckle thinking of gett ing burger with no bun and some fries.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:40

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

It's about as ludicrous as a person ordering a triple cheeseburger combo, supersize fries, and a diet coke.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 09:46

Plan: Keto
Stats: 284.6/239.0/175 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

At all the Ruby Tuesday's I've been to, the low carb cheesecake is the ONLY cheesecake offered. So it makes sense to me that a waiter may ask if they wanted syrup on the cheesecake.