Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:41
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Unhappy Ok ...now what do I do?

Hi every one,
Need some help here,
I have been lo-carbing for about a year while having my nightly glasses of wine along with a lo-carb snack. I managed to lose 20 lbs. over the summer months and into the fall. It was very slow going but I found it very difficult to forgo the nightly habit. Nevertheless, over the winter I managed to gain it all back.
I have been feeling so frustrated with the way I feel and look that I finally said to myself..."self, that's it" no more wine and nightly snacks
It has been 9 days since I have had any wine or nightly snacks. I have been very good about my WOE on lo-carb, drinking my water too. SO can any one out there tell me why I have not lost any weight? not only that ...I actually gained 3 pounds What is up with that????????????????? I have to admit that I am ready to
I need Osuzana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:45
Registered Member

Oh yeah... don't worry folks, I'm not gonna drink again.... I'm happy with my accomplishment of giving it up ( it has not been easy, especially when it comes to trying to sleep) But I did it, and I'm proud of me!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 20:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins~ Protein Power
Stats: 200/200/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

hang in there, you'll get there!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 20:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Hiya

Could be all sorts of reasons.

Are you drinking heaps of water?
What plan are you following?
You body might just be holding out on you and wondering what you are up to!

How about listing some menus so we can give some pointers.

lesley
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 23:41
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Suzana...

Did you replace the wine with anything?? Like coffee, or more snacking?

If you're on induction, you may just be adjusting to a new routine and will have to play it out...

Can you post a sample menu of what you're doing in a day?? Maybe we can spot something in it...

Don't worry...your body may just be holding on to water in lieu of the alcohol you're no longer consuming.

#6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:22
Registered Member

Hello again, and thank you for the replys,
I am drinking my water about 80oz. a day, and I am also taking a perscribed water pill for blood pressure (it's borderline) and I get edema in my legs. So I am living in the bathroom. And no I have not replaced the wine with anything. I drink decaf tea or decaf coffee in the morning. The thing that I find strange is that along with giving up the wine, I also gave up munching on a snack at night, (protein only)

Sample of a typical day:

Breakfast ~ 4pieces of bacon or some kind of meat
2 poached eggs

Lunch ~ leftover chicken pieces with mayonaise
salad w/ lemon and olive oil dressing

Snack~salami slices with creme cheese few pork rinds

Dinner steak cooked in butter ~ zucchini sauteed in butter
salad of lettuce w/ lemon and olive oil

Snack ~ jello w/ whipped creme
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Well, your menu looks fine...and you're drinking enough water. Maybe you are holding on to some fluids for now...and your condition may have something to do with that as well.

But I'm thinking that this is temporary...keep your diet real clean for a week or so and really watch the portions...you know, if you're hungry, eat...but if you're not...don't snack!

It's possible you're just going through a metabolic change that will right itself in a bit...

Hang in there...this will work for you!

#8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-03, 18:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

If you don't start losing soon, I'd consider consulting a doctor and getting him or her to run some thyroid and other tests. 20 pounds is a lot to gain during the winter if you were basically low carbing except for a glass of wine, and then gaining more weight while sticking to a strict low carb diet could indicate some sort of medical problem.

It's not unusual to stall out after losing for a while, but stalling out in the beginning and gaining in the beginning, is more unusual.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-27-03, 09:37
Registered Member

Thank You for you caring replies,
I didn't want to give you the impression that I was sticking to my lo carb plan all this past winter, because I was not. I was very sedentary, I got laid off in late November and didn't do a whole lot this winter... I also was not behaving myself about eating. I was just sort of depressed all winter. I live in upstate NY, and we had an extremely loooooonnngggg, very cold and snowey winter. I was in side a lot... But I am ready to start over, and do it right this time, without the wine.... at least that is the plan! But I'm getting discouraged. I am going to switch to the Protein Power plan, I have the first book, they put out in 1996, and I am re-reading it now. It does allow a little more room for carbs and even a glass of wine with dinner if I want it. We shall see, I did manage to drop a pound from yesterday. whoopie!!!

Donna :
I spent quite a while looking into your journal last night, I got about halfway through it, will pick up where I left off later today. You should consider writing a romance novel, your writings in your journal are compelling and very interesting to read. (couldn't put the book down) kinda stuff!
As for your struggle with weight loss, it seems like you mirror me.
The only time I lose weight is when I go into starvation mode. All the weight I lost last summer was from NOT EATING! I got a new and exciting job and I was EXTREMELY busy with it, I never had any time to eat. I managed 1 meal a day and that really wasn't a meal. So I did lose.... but the job was a seasonal job ending in late fall, so I was then thrown back into where I am now... doing nothing untill the end of May.
I just don't want to accomplish or attempt weight loss that way anymore!!! I want to be able to have a normal way of eating, without always worrying about gaining weight. I am 52 and I know my metabolism is almost on "off" mode so I expect to have to fight for this loss somewhat, but I am sick to death of having to go through drastic measures to see some success. I am truly not a big eater, and I never eat sweet foods. I think I messed up my metabolism when I was younger and sang professionally for a living for 12 years.... I had to be stick thin and the only way I could stay that way was to NOT EAT! I was hungry forever it seemed. But that is what I did for a living and I had to answer to my managers if I put on weight!
My weight gain started in my 30's when I had my 3rd child... It was not a big gain, but as the years have ticked by, I have managed to to gain a little more each year... Now I am one year into menopause and it really sent my weight soaring. I have never weighed this in my whole life! It makes me sad that I am struggling so hard and getting nowhere.
I read where your weight started to fall off when you were so hurt you couldn't eat. I'm glad you lost it , but not glad your heart had to break first, in order for that to happen!
Thanks for your encouragement, please stay in touch.
Susan