Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 01:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking Skinnier fingers

Hey all,

The first place I notice a weight loss on this diet is in my fingers. My rings keep falling off and they never did that until I do Atkins. My wedding rings came right off my fingers and down the heat register....luckily hubby retrieved them. And also lost another ring that my son brought to me that I didnt even know that I lost. Will have to get them refitted one day. Has anyone had this problem ?
Had this problem last summer on this diet [lost 30 lbs. in 3 months] and now again but so far this time I have lost only13 lbs. Can fingers get skinnier or do u think it is loss of water that does this???

We can do this together !!!

Support = Success

Traci
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 04:44

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Happened to me too, one day my wedding ring flew off my finger and bounces down the hallway. Its ring size was 7.5 US. It couldn't be sized so I had a ring gaurd put in. Recently I was using so much of the ring gaurd (my fingers kept getting smaller) that I caught it on something (from the ring hanging off the back of my finger) that it was dangerous! Hubby let me trade my ring in for a newer, better model - this time one that can be sized. Right now the new one is a 5.5 US and it is really a bit too big, it keeps running around my finger. I think it about 10 pounds or so I will get it sized down again to a 5.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 05:02
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

My watch is also spinning around my wrist!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 05:20

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Isn't that a great feeling!! I had not been able to wear my wedding ring since I got pregnant with my son (It is a size 4) and now I can finally wear it. I am sooooo happy and so is DH.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:03

Stats: 249/197/170 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 66%

For Christmas, my hubby bought me a new wedding ring (we were pretty strapped for cash at the time we got married 7 years ago). The new one is so beautiful, but it was about 3 sizes too small (have to love those husbands, eh? lol). Anyway, I kept forgetting to get it sized and now it almost fits!! I try it on everyday and it's nearly there! I'm hoping to sport my big new diamond in about 2 weeks.

~Angi~
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:31

Stats: 155/141/135
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Skinny fingers!

I agree that fingers gets skinnier! I swim constantly and have now started to leave my rings at home, as the cool water also seems to have an effect and one day I nearly lost them. I lost what I needed to right away on this diet..15 or 16 pounds and it seems to be staying off. Have done lots of other diets, & regained the weight but maybe this time it will stay off. Time to get them resized...I like the "new ring" idea too! have a great day...from White Rock BC.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:35

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have the "loose ring syndrome", too!! Isn't it great!? It makes me so excited because it's my first body part that's getting skinny!! I find myself playing with my loose ring all the time... watching it spin around and slide up and down my finger. Yesterday, as I was shaking my hand so my ring would "do it's thing" my co-worker said "WHAT are you doing?" I told her my hand was going to sleep.... didn't want to tell her about my weight loss... (I want people to notice it on their own and not because I tell them). So anyway, congrats on your success and your loose rings!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 08:53

Stats: 223/210/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I actually am amazed that I have wrists.... For years I only had arms and hands.

D'Lynn
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 09:30
Registered Member

Stats: 304/146/144 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I'm a ring a holic and my fingers have each gone down about two sizes. It's so cool to be able to finally wear a ring that's been too small for a long time!! I've been wearing my wedding set on my middle finger for quite a while because I didn't want to worry about losing it and also because I didn't want to get it sized until I'm finished losing weight. To try to make my rings stay on while I'm losing weight I put a little bit of waterproof medical tape in the back and it keeps them on and stops them from twirling around (I hate that). I have also had my watch band shortened twice and it's almost time to take out another link! Right now I'm waiting to lose another 10 lbs. or so and then I'll be able to wear a cute size 3 tri color rolling ring! I love jewellery!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:18

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Smile

My wedding band and the ring my husband bought me for my birthday last year. The watch that I have not been able to wear since 1995
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 10:23

Stats: 153/139/120
BF:
Progress: 42%

Believe it or not, fingers DO have fat!! I sliced mine open chopping veggies this winter and the nurse commented on the fat in my finger (she wasn't being "rude"----my fingers aren't really fat even, she was just saying how it was sliced open so far that she could see the globs of fat........yeah, I know, lovely thought )

When I get below 125 or so, I can't even wear my wedding ring. And, I know it's not just water, although water weight loss or being cold (body fluid goes from the limbs to the trunk when you get cold) CAN temporarily cause your fingers to get smaller.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

When my fiance and I first started looking at rings last June, I was wearing a size 8 ring. By the time we got engaged in November, he figured he'd better go with a 7.5, since I'd already got some weight. In less than a month, I had to start wearing it on the middle finger, and even then I had to be careful by March or so. I had it resized when we picked out our wedding rings last month, and it is now a 6.5 -- the wedding band is a 6.25. It's loose, too, and I could easily start wearing it on my middle finger again. I'll probably have both rings sized again after the wedding (in 10 days), because they are *way* too beautiful to lose!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 12:32

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Isn't it a lovely feeling??

Actually, the fingers and the face are the first place to lose weight. I know a lot of people on here think it's there hips or stomach or whatever... but scientifically speaking it's the face and hands.

That is why you will get comments like "have you lost weight" even when you haven't shrunk or lost weight.

Those of you that are having the ring problems (and I use 'problems' loosely) get an old face picture of yourselves.. and have a good look in the mirror just at your face. Notice it?

Linnea
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 00:17
Registered Member

Stats: 172/157/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking Thanks !!!

Thank you for all your comments on this guys I didnt even think anyone would respond.... !!!
Now I know I'm not the only one losing her rings I just thought it was some quirky thing I was just going through...lol !
I dont even have my rings on now because I was doing laundry and my wedding ring fell into the washer.
Like someone said dont want to try and have them refitted until I'm at my goal weight. Anyways is having rings refitted expensive ?
Wish it was my waist and my pants were falling down.....lol
Did I just say that !!!!!

We can do this together

Support = Success

Traci