Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 375/375/200 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Chinese Food Carbs

Last night, my Honors class met at the local chinese restaurant for a dinner on our Prof. She warned me about this ahead of time because she knows I'm on Atkins (I was VERY sick in her class my first week of Induction...). Anyway, I didn't touch the rice or the noodles or the cookies or the rolls. I did have egg-drop soup, spiced tofu, beef and scallops, and garlic shrimp (small portions of each! You know how eating Chinese is...) I felt satisified very quickly, and I didn't really feel bad or guilty at all. It's a WOE and sometimes you have to go out and eat with your associates *shrug*. I didn't binge or eat known HC foods, but I am curious about possible carbs hidden in the sauces. Are the sauces my downfall?

FTR, I started Induction this week before the chinese dinner because I was worried about "hidden carbs" (DH is wonderful but sometimes a little clueless).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 20:04

Stats: 188/180/160 Female 5' 4''
BF:Next Mini Goal:175
Progress: 29%

Not Sure But I Would Be Very Interested In Finding Out Because I Love Chinese Food And Miss It To A Certain Degree. Plus, It Is Always Nice To Have More Options. I Know Some People Mentioned Eating Beef & Broccoli.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 20:11

Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

I know egg drop soup is legal but possibly the spices/marinades on the other food you ate had a few carbs. I know sweet and sour, soy and hot sauce from the place I order from has sugar added. However, I wouldn't worry about it as it probably wasn't a WHOLE lot and definetly better than eating egg rolls, rice, noodles...all that other good stuff. Also going back to Induction levels couldn't have hurt. Way to go for avoiding temptation!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 21:39
Registered Member

Stats: 186/140/140 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 100%

I eat chinese all the time, and did so immediately after induction. The big trick to eating chinese is to ask (or DEMAND) that they do not cook your servings with starch or sugar. My two local chinese restaurants always listened, and I never kicked out of weight-loss mode.

If you pick up any seasonings that are available off-the-shelf (or via-the-click) you can throw them in a tiny shaker and use them yourself. I love chinese food, and you'd be surprised how much you can eat there. My local chinese restaurant's egg roll stuffing was completely low carb so I'd always order them double size and just toss the wrap.

Be cautious with sauces, but if they skip the sugar and the starch, you're usually OK.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 22:03

Plan: Weight Watchers/S Beach
Stats: 201/195.8/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

WHile we're on the subject of Chinese, does anybody have any idea of how to make a low carb version of Crab Ragoon? Probably darn near impossible but hey, impossibilities is what I thrive on!!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-17-04, 22:08
Registered Member

Stats: 186/140/140 Male 5'8
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've made a similar treat using low carb tortillas, real crab meat (not imitation), cream cheese, and a few herbs and spices.

If you can handle a few carbs, you can make ultra thin ragoons using normal "high carb" phyllo dough, just use very little of it. The tortilla method works surprisingly well. I wish I could find a low carb phyllo dough recipe!