Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/201/145
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default bacon and weight gain

Hi everyone
I have been on induction for 2 weeks now and have lost everyday, total 15 lbs. I usually do not eat breakfast. My question is yesterday morning I had 5 strips of bacon with salt & pepper and when I weighed myself this morning I was up almost 1/2 a pound. I changed nothing else in my diet, could the bacon have effected my weight loss?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 08:21

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Yes it can.

Bacon has salt AND nitrates, both of which can make you retain water. If you are going to consume salty foods increase your water intake to help offset the dehydrating effect of the salt.

I wouldn't worry too much about a 1/2 pound. Most of us have a weight flux of 3-10 pounds a day depending on what we consumed that day.

Oh and Bob, you only need make one post in either the Atkin's forum or the Newbie Question forum. Not both. We remove duplicates to keep all the answers in one place instead of having two separate threads going
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 20:48
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 168/164/108
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Sugar in the bacon?

Did you read the label. Lots of bacons have sugar added!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-07-02, 21:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/148/128
BF:
Progress: 66%

I buy slab bacon at a little upscale grocer here, it's even cheaper per pound than the prepackaged stuff in the supermarkets, and it has no added sugar, probably lower in nitrates, and lower in salt. You said you added salt to your breakfast, so you probably were just holding more fluid.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 16:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default bacon

I have found a nitrate free, sugar free bacon and it does cost about the same as packaged bacon (the stuff I buy is in the butcher counter). But sometimes a packaged bacon will be on sale so cheap I can't resist it. It might be my imagination but I am pretty sure I retain a lot of water with the packaged stuff (but not with the butcher bacon).

I do believe the salt makes a difference and, for me, drinking a lot of water does not make a dent in water retention.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 22:50
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 168/164/108
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default committed quote

I enjoyed your quote as much as the bacon note. So true! But it's one that's stuck in my mind, and I had seen it attributed to Goethe. Let's look it up.

Whoever said it, it's certainly apropo.

Cheers!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 10:24
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 30%

Does nitrate free bacon taste different from regular bacon??