Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 134/126/115 Female 5'2''
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Can't get to 20

I started Atkins almost 2 months ago. I did the first 2 weeks of induction and lost 7 lbs. I went overseas and did not follow (champagne, fries, etc.). I did not lose any more weight but I did not gain any more either.

Since I returned last weekend, I went back on strict induction (lost 2 more lbs). I realized though, that I am not getting my 20 g of carbs a day no matter what I try. Today, I added some raspberries to raise my carb count but it hardly moved. I had a slice of cheese. Had an extra cup of salad. I am so full from eating all day that I could explode.

I am currently at 10/7 Net according to Fitday.

Is it dangerous not to have 20 g of carbs a day? What can I do do raise my carbs without eating banned foods?

Here is what I have had so far today:

2 Large eggs with 3 slices of Bacon
2 small Ground Beef Patties with garlic and herbs
1 cup of mixed greens/herbs with Sesame Oil and Lemon, grated Parmesan.
1 cup of mixed greens/herbs with Olive Oil and Lemon
1 slice of Pepper Jack Cheese
3 slices of dry salami (nitrate free)
6 raspberries with Creme Fraiche (richer sour cream) + a little Splenda.
A spoonfoll of crab meat.
1.5 liters of mineral water.

5 Metamucil tablets.

I really don't feel like eating any more. Do I have to?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 15:34
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

It's not hard to up the carb count for me . Think fixings and side dishes. Put onion, pickle, and tomato slices on that burger. A fav treat of mine is two leaves of crisp romaine lettuce, with a layer of mayo. In the microwave take a slice of tomato, salt it, and cover with a slice of munster, nuke for 30 seconds, and add to your sandwich. Yummy, but very high in carbs relative to the calories. I LOVE spinach, it is so versatile, healthy, and can up your carb count. Fry a little up with some onion, olive oil, and lemon juice.

Also remember, dairy has carbs, so cheese and creams are good ways to pad your count.

A new recipe i discovered, that I am now in love with is the [url=http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost.php?p=1860&postcount=7]mock fried rice[/i]. It is about 5 or 6 carbs for a 350-400 calorie small side dish, and induction safe. Just make sure you buy a soy sauce brand that is not high in carbs.

Don't fret if you don't totally make 20 carbs, just as long as you don't go over is what really matters.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 16:59

Plan: The Obesity Code
Stats: 563/521/199 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just20
I started Atkins almost 2 months ago. I did the first 2 weeks of induction and lost 7 lbs. I went overseas and did not follow (champagne, fries, etc.). I did not lose any more weight but I did not gain any more either.

Since I returned last weekend, I went back on strict induction (lost 2 more lbs). I realized though, that I am not getting my 20 g of carbs a day no matter what I try. Today, I added some raspberries to raise my carb count but it hardly moved. I had a slice of cheese. Had an extra cup of salad. I am so full from eating all day that I could explode.

I am currently at 10/7 Net according to Fitday.

Is it dangerous not to have 20 g of carbs a day? What can I do do raise my carbs without eating banned foods?

Here is what I have had so far today:

2 Large eggs with 3 slices of Bacon
2 small Ground Beef Patties with garlic and herbs
1 cup of mixed greens/herbs with Sesame Oil and Lemon, grated Parmesan.
1 cup of mixed greens/herbs with Olive Oil and Lemon
1 slice of Pepper Jack Cheese
3 slices of dry salami (nitrate free)
6 raspberries with Creme Fraiche (richer sour cream) + a little Splenda.
A spoonfoll of crab meat.
1.5 liters of mineral water.

5 Metamucil tablets.

I really don't feel like eating any more. Do I have to?

Thanks.

hello

I was in the same boat as you a few weeks ago, not getting enough carbs. Know what I did? I've done two things. First, every morning, I eat two slices of low-carb bread, each with 4g carbohydrates in them. Loaded with butter I swear to god they taste so good (it's the thing I look most forward to eating). So that's 8g carbs there. Then, I get some kind of salad for lunch always (either Wendy's or Safeway brand.) That adds quite a few carbs also (about 6g). So that's 14g right there. Combined with all the other stuff I eat, it's well over 20g a day. It looks like you are getting a fair amount of veggies, so I would recommend trying the low-carb bread w/ butter
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 17:11

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Do you like fruits? Easiest way to add carbs into your menu is fruits! Raspberries, blueberries are higher in carbs than strawberries.. have a few! I wish I could eat more of them...
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 17:17
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Fruits are a good idea. I started adding blueberries in and a few strawberries. I actually had 1/2 an orange yesterday but all that citric acid hurt my stomach... I'm trying to stay under 30g so an orange may be a little too much for induction...

The low-carb bread is also great. I put butter and almond butter on it. Man, I'm getting hungry!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:18
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:

Some nuts could fix your problem. They are good for your health too.

Sam
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 19:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

You know that 20 is the max for induction , right ? You don't have to get in 20 every day, but 20 worth of veggies is a good thing for fiber and nutrients.

Last edited by manucpa : Thu, Sep-18-03 at 20:00.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 22:02
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Default LC Baking?

Do you like to bake? What about baking some LC zucchini muffins. My favourite Zucc. muffin recipe is on the Atkins website...in fact, I made some this evening and it's hard to stop at one, so maybe that would be good for you. Have one as a mid-morning snack and one in the late afternoon or after dinner in the evening.

Good luck!
Lily