Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 19:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 280/190/180 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 90%
Default B5 and Pantethine

Dear Board,

i have a question,
i take one a day men's formula, and i was comparing that with Atkins basic#3 and they have different dosage, i tried to buy Pantethine from GNC and the smallest dosage they have is 250,
and Atkins#3 has only 60 mg,
my question is:
is it OK to buy that 250 mg Pantothenic Acid from GNC, or that's gonna be too much?

By the way, are Pantethine and Pantothenic Acid the same thing?
thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 21:19
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Pantethine is a derivative of the the B-complex nutrient panthothenic acid. Panththine will lower triglycerides, low density lipoprotein and total cholestrerol while increasing high density lipoprotein.

Are you wanting to take it to lower your triglyerides? I'd just suggest taking Basic 3, unless you have high triglycerides.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-04, 21:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflyer
Pantethine is a derivative of the the B-complex nutrient panthothenic acid. Panththine will lower triglycerides, low density lipoprotein and total cholestrerol while increasing high density lipoprotein.

I have hign blood pressure problem, and I'd like to decrease cholestrol level in my blood, if I start taking 250mgs will it help to lower my cholestrol?
thank you
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 09:09
Contributing Member

Maximus,

You have already taken the first steps in helping yourself. That's by starting ATKINS. But, you must become very serious about this WOL and follow it correctly. As you do that, your body will begin the long process of healing itself.

I'd like to suggest that you purchase (if you haven't already)
DANDR and Vita-Nutrient Solution. The latter, I feel, is a very important reference book.

As I stated earlier, Pantethine is a derivative of the the B-complex nutrient Panthothenic Acid. Panththine will lower triglycerides, lower density lipoprotein and total cholestrerol while increasing high density lipoprotein.
So yes Pantethine will lower your cholesterol, BUT, it will work much better if you take it in a B-COMPLEX. Why, because the B vitamins are so intertwined, separating them would diminish the functioning of the complex as a balanced whole. By keeping them together, we can take advantage of their individual traits without creating new imbalances that have their own specific consequences.

In addition to your diet change, taking a B-complex, you should add a good multi vit such as Basic 3 or Centrum or GNC's men's formula at the very least!

Your body is depleted of building blocks right now. That's why you have high blood pressure and high cholestrol.

#5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 18:51

Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

In Atkins book on vitanutrients I believe he said split the difference between both pantethine and pantothenic acid for the supplement. He recommends a range of between 600-2000mg for his weight loss clients.

I bought the pantethenic acid from GNC because I could not find the other form.

Ran into the same problem with Pyridoxine and pyridoxyl-5 -phosphate.

Karen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 00:34

BF:

Quote:
Maximus,

You have already taken the first steps in helping yourself. That's by starting ATKINS. But, you must become very serious about this WOL and follow it correctly. As you do that, your body will begin the long process of healing itself.

I'd like to suggest that you purchase (if you haven't already)
DANDR and Vita-Nutrient Solution. The latter, I feel, is a very important reference book.

As I stated earlier, Pantethine is a derivative of the the B-complex nutrient Panthothenic Acid. Panththine will lower triglycerides, lower density lipoprotein and total cholestrerol while increasing high density lipoprotein.
So yes Pantethine will lower your cholesterol, BUT, it will work much better if you take it in a B-COMPLEX. Why, because the B vitamins are so intertwined, separating them would diminish the functioning of the complex as a balanced whole. By keeping them together, we can take advantage of their individual traits without creating new imbalances that have their own specific consequences.

In addition to your diet change, taking a B-complex, you should add a good multi vit such as Basic 3 or Centrum or GNC's men's formula at the very least!

Your body is depleted of building blocks right now. That's why you have high blood pressure and high cholestrol.

Thank you guys,

I am trying to understand,
and sorry it has been long day,
so when i go to GNC what exactly should I ask to buy, could you please give exact name of B-complex (or that's the name?) and I am already taking one a day men's formula, is it ok?
thank you so much!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 09:46
Contributing Member

Cool

Maximus,

B-Complex is an supplement which has ALL OF THE B vitamins in it. Sometimes a manufacturer will add some other things to it like Vit C, or Vit E. This is fine. You can find B-Complex at Walmart, Costco (called Kirkland B-50 Formula), Sam's Clubs, Safeway, or GNC. I'd personally go to a Walmart or Costco because it will probably be cheaper for you. If you go to GNC, ask them for a B-Complex. They'll have several lines I'm sure.

Quoted from Dr. Atkins, Vita-Nutrient Solution.

"Elevated levels of blood lipids, such as cholesterol and triglycerides, are one of the most widespread causes of heart attacks, strokes, and clogging of the arteries in general. Remember, despite all the publicity, high cholesterol is not a disease. Rather, it and other lipid abnormalities are simply predictive factors for a hardening of the arteries. Therefore, changing lipid levels without changing the reason they are elevated may neither prevent nor reverse the illness. However, by consistently bringing these blood markers for heart and artery health under control, diet and nutrient therapy, will at the very least, allow you to avoid side effect laden cholestrerol drugs. Some people get the best results by restricting saturated fats, while other do better if they eliminate all sugar from their diet and reduce consumption of carbohydrates. You must learn which works best for you. In eithre case, your lipid levels shoul improve if you add the nutrients that correspond to your particular need.

I'd like to suggest that you buy a bottle of B-Complex, some Basic 3, some essential oils (either ATKINS essential oils or UDO'S OIL which is at GNC) some Vit C (unless the B-Complex has it in it) and possibly some fiber supplement. Give your body the building materials it needs to heal and give it the WHOLE FOODS to nurish itself with. Cut out the Frankenfoods, SUGAR and FLOUR. You'll see your weight drop, your blood work improve for the better.

Maximus, I'm here for you and I know you CAN DO THIS!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 11:17

BF:

Quote:
Maximus,

B-Complex is an supplement which has ALL OF THE B vitamins in it. Sometimes a manufacturer will add some other things to it like Vit C, or Vit E. This is fine. You can find B-Complex at Walmart, Costco (called Kirkland B-50 Formula), Sam's Clubs, Safeway, or GNC. I'd personally go to a Walmart or Costco because it will probably be cheaper for you. If you go to GNC, ask them for a B-Complex. They'll have several lines I'm sure.

Quoted from Dr. Atkins, Vita-Nutrient Solution.

"Elevated levels of blood lipids, such as cholesterol and triglycerides, are one of the most widespread causes of heart attacks, strokes, and clogging of the arteries in general. Remember, despite all the publicity, high cholesterol is not a disease. Rather, it and other lipid abnormalities are simply predictive factors for a hardening of the arteries. Therefore, changing lipid levels without changing the reason they are elevated may neither prevent nor reverse the illness. However, by consistently bringing these blood markers for heart and artery health under control, diet and nutrient therapy, will at the very least, allow you to avoid side effect laden cholestrerol drugs. Some people get the best results by restricting saturated fats, while other do better if they eliminate all sugar from their diet and reduce consumption of carbohydrates. You must learn which works best for you. In eithre case, your lipid levels shoul improve if you add the nutrients that correspond to your particular need.

I'd like to suggest that you buy a bottle of B-Complex, some Basic 3, some essential oils (either ATKINS essential oils or UDO'S OIL which is at GNC) some Vit C (unless the B-Complex has it in it) and possibly some fiber supplement. Give your body the building materials it needs to heal and give it the WHOLE FOODS to nurish itself with. Cut out the Frankenfoods, SUGAR and FLOUR. You'll see your weight drop, your blood work improve for the better.

Maximus, I'm here for you and I know you CAN DO THIS!

Thank you sooooooo much Blueflyer,
I was trying to get the information you just gave for quite a long time, not geeting clear answer,
right now i am going for some vitamin shopping
thanks again!
you are wonderful person
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-04, 20:29
Contributing Member

Maximus,

Just so you don't become alarmed, when you take B-Complex your urine may be very YELLOW. Thats ok, just drink your water. Try to get yourself up to 8-12 8oz glasses of WATER per day.

Did you find the essential oils or UDO'S OIL and some fiber supplements?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-04, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Maximus,

Just so you don't become alarmed, when you take B-Complex your urine may be very YELLOW. Thats ok, just drink your water. Try to get yourself up to 8-12 8oz glasses of WATER per day.

Did you find the essential oils or UDO'S OIL and some fiber supplements?

I haven't got those yet, i am planning to do that today, got carried out on the weekend.
I need your advise, this is the list of supplements i am taking right now:

1. RELACORE-three times a day

2. One a day men's health formula-one time a day

3. Chromium Picolinate (400 mcg Chromium)-one time a day,

4. Calcium+D (600 mg Calcium+200 I.U Vitamin D)-twice a day

5. Biotin (1000 mcg)- one time a day

6. Vitamin C (1000 mg, with with rose hips time release)-once a day,

is there anything that may increase my blood pressure, because i am having high blood pressure problem, and kind of headache on the back of my head...
I started taking Relacore and other vitamins like a week ago (before i was taking only "one a day men's formula" and calcium)
also i am planning taking supplements you suggested(vitamin B complex and oils),
please, let me know your opinion,
cause i am worried about my blood pressure,
if someone also have the same problem, what you guys are doing?