Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 11:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 128/125/100
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default sagging skin and cellulite

does this diet help correct sagging skin and cellulite?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi deborah!

Some people here have experienced a significant loss in cellulite, others haven't. It probably depends a lot on the person, severity, etc. Exercise tends to help...sculpting those muscles underneath will help to firm things up too.

All the best!!

KC
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-02, 13:25

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know if this is really me saying this... but I think I am beginning to accept that cellulite is... NATURAL. Yikes... did I really say that?
But really... nearly all women seem to have it... from me to a supermodel.. maybe we can lessen it, but I am not going to hold my breath, or for that matter be ashamed of my body because of it (this really REALLY does not sound like me talking).
Doods.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-02, 11:33

Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It seems as if you lose the weight slowly, the skin will eventually catch up. I'm sure youv'e seen people on TV who have lost incredible amounts of weight in a short time and the skin is just hanging off them--they often have surgery to correct this. But surgery is dangerous and you don't want to go there if just losing slowly eliminates this problem.

As for the cellulite, it is pockets of fat. Some people here have commented that their's has diminished or disappeared after losing on this woe. After all, low carb attacks fat, not muscle. But then again some haven't seen that change (yet). I'm wishing, and hoping, and dreaming that this will happen to me.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 00:34

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question

What sort of weight loss per week should we try to go for in order to avoid the saggy skin problem? I have 160 pounds to lose and I'd *really* like to avoid looking like I'm a death camp survivor. So, I expect I should start doing that now!

(I'll post an introduction soon, but I was itching to ask this question! Thanks!)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 08:19

Stats: 197/195/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi!
I just wanted to share a story here about a friend of mine that lost well over 100lbs. It was a guy, so of course some of the cellulite stuff won't really apply (guys sure do have it good ). He chose LC to lose the weight and he worked out just about everyday at the gym for a few hours (not quite so long in the beginning, but then he started to make friends and it became a very social thing as well). Anyways...the point of my story is that the only place that he had saggy skin was around his belly, and that seems to be slowly starting to go away as well. He lost the weight over the course of just over a year at an overall average rate of about 10lbs per month. That is around 2lbs per week for a year which is a safe rate of loss (so I've read).

For women it may be a little different as far as where we will "sag" because when we work out our arms don't get as muscular (as big) as men's do, so we have less to fill them out. Good muscle tone should take care of that problem. Just the other day Oprah had a show on about people that lost a lot of weight and one girl went from a size 26 to a size 6. They showed her arms and they were toned and looked great , so it may be more of an individual thing how your skin reacts to you shrinking(age, smoker, amount of exercise, etc).

I'm no expert, so don't take my word as gospel, but I just thought that I would share my experience...anyone with personal experience with this may be a better judge than I.

Take care,
KC
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:43

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

My cellulite has diminished greatly, but there is some still there. But I think I can handle it! Hopefully some more will dissappear as I lose, but if not - I am OK with it.

As far as sagging skins goes, I use a moisturizer all over every day after I get out of the shower. Seems to help with the "spring back", even if it doesn't really help - I am all for it, makes the skin feel better, me feel better - so it can't really hurt can it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 15:23

Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I found that my cellulite didn't start to diminish really until I started a work out regimin about 1.5 months into my diet. I do weight training for 30 mins and cardio for 30 mins. I have noticed a huge difference. So the diet helps me lose weight and fat but I just needed to tone up to see the difference I think. Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 20:08

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:

Thanks all! I've been a little worried about it, since I'm just starting and I'd rather worry now than when it hits me! I'm on the Pill, so my loss rate is pretty slow. The week of the null pills, I whooshed from 3 pounds a week to 7. Now it looks like nothing so far this week. I was afraid that I'd keep losing at 7 pounds a week and all I could think of was "I'll look worse when I'm at my right weight than I did to begin with!"

Fortunately, I'm only 27. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do weight training by myself, and I hate tap water (Hard for me to get to the store every few days for water). Do you think that the sagging might start early or do you think it's safe to slack off for a couple of months while my financial and living situation changes?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-02, 22:05

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:

I have quite a few friends who lost weight, none of them over a size 4 now.

Each of them has given birth, and cannot lost the sagging skin on their stomachs. (One even has a six-pack - you can see the extreme definition in her upper stomach.) Basically the only option for them (and for me, after weight loss) is surgery.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-02, 04:27

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I hate tap water too, you can get one of those water filters in a pitcher (Brita I think), that way you can make your own filtered water.

As far as slacking off for a couple of months - I think losing the weight and being healthier is more important than the little extra time it will take your skin to snap back. It is of course, up to you!

Good luck!