Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 12:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 222/210/130
BF:dont know
Progress: 13%
Default alergic reaction

hi peeps

i have been experiencing itchy bloches mostly on my arms and legs , i got this even before i started doing the diet not often but enough to annoy me. When i started the diet these itchy spots disapeared ? but now when im naughty
(not often honest, ) and i eat something of a sweet suger laden nature the itchy bloches appear? Could it be that i was allergic to suger all this time.
Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 15:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Can't say I've ever experienced that, but it certainly does sound like an allergy of some sort. It could also be the wheat gluten or the flour in the goodies too. My advice would be that if it causes you to break out, don't eat it. Allergic reactions can become more severe each time you are exposed to whatever it is that you are allergic to.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 05:28

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I also agree with Lisa.. Sounds like allergic reactions to me.. I have gone threw this with my youngest son ( who is 7).. If you eat something and break out discontinue eating it. The allergic reaction can get worse over time if you continue to eat.. I can say that with this WOL you will probaly find out what foods you are allergic to rather easy.. For my son we havent found it out yet.. Thank God he hasnt broke out any more in the last month and a half.. There for a while it was everyday..

Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 12:05

thanks for your views guys

it was an ice cream ate ,with toffee chocolate and nuts, it was scrummy,and two days later i had some nougat witch enflamed the spots i already had,(the nougat was an experiment really)
to see if it made them worse witch it did.
I may ask the doc to see if i can be tested?
Tammy i hope your wee boy has grown out of whatever it was that was not agreeing with him,
cheers

#5   ^
Old Wed, May-29-02, 12:37

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nuts are also a common cause of allergic reactions.. hope you find the cause..

Thanks also for hopeing my son gets better.. so far so goood...

allergies can be funny at times

Tammy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-02-02, 07:35
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Allergies are the pits

I seem to be allergic to several things. I don't break out, I get asthma from them. I am afraid now, that I have developed an allergy to splenda. That is really the pits on this WOE. I am in the middle of an experiment...cutting out splenda. I have had worsening asthma for 2 months and after one day of eliminating it, I woke up this morning without the ususal asthma attack. So, SHUCKS!!! Back to the drawing board....it seems no artificial sweetener agrees with me!!

Could it be possible that you have an allergy to milk?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 11:31

hi spring
nope drink milk all the time.
I also eat nuts regularly with no adverse affects.
My itchy spots have almost disappeared now but then ive had no suger at all, i might have some suger on my all bran to find out for sure.
I went to give blood today but they would not take it as my iron was low (never happened before) i have been feeling a bit low on energy latley could this be the reason why i wonder??

cheers
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Low iron

can make you feel tired. If you are on induction, I don't believe you are supposed to have liver... a good source of iron....but spinich and greens have alot of iron in them and maybe they would help some. As for the blotches, I am stumped. Have you moved into a new house lately or gotten new carpeting or paneling? I know it sounds funny, but my son had blotches like that when he was little...turned out to be from chemicals in our mobil home. We moved out of the mobile home and he never got them again. I guess it is possible to be "allergic" to sugar. I wonder if it could be some kind of diabetic type reaction. I do know that diabetics do have problems with their skin. I'm just guessing here

By the way, I have tried using Splenda again today after having none for several days and the asthma has not come back. So, I guess, it is not the Splenda I am allergic to after all. I am glad of that!