Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 17:54
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%
Default Hi everyone

I've been lurking around this forum, reading other people's posts and getting lots of helpful information for about a month now, and I thought it was about time I registered and introduced myself. I identify most with the Triple Digits Club, so I'll start here rather than in the general introductions section.

I started low-carbing back in July after a miserable check-up with the gynecologist -- my blood pressure had shot up to the range where medication was indicated and my weight was beyond the upper reaches of the scale (350 pounds). I gave up on lowfat dieting years ago. Everytime I went on a lowfat diet I would lost a few pounds and then gain it all back, while making myself and my family miserable. However, my weight kept creeping up and I didn't know that there were any alternatives to lowfat out there. I've always been active (swimming and walking), but I reached the point where I was getting out of breath climbing small hills and I was worried I would have a heart attack. I seriously discussed gastric bypass with the doctor in July (she thought it was a good idea) but I'm terrified of anesthesia and surgery.

By some miracle, the weekend after my miserable doctor's visit, an article appeared in the New York Times magazine talking about low carb diets. The article made sense and I immediately cut all sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet. In a few days, I got over craving them and suddenly I was not hungry between meals and ate less at each meal. A month or so later I bought and read Atkin's book and cut back further on the carbohydrates I eat -- I am now on OWL and eat between 30 and 50 carbs a day.

I've lost a bunch of weight -- I'm not sure how much since the scale at the doctor's last July only went up to 350 and I was above that mark. The first time I stepped on a scale after July was in mid-September and I was 335 at that time. Right now I'm about 315 and have some clothes that used to be too tight to wear that are now too big to wear. My blood pressure has come down to about 127/83 (without medication), well within the normal range, and I'm hoping it will come down even further.

On a personal level -- I've been married for 20 years (mostly happily), have two teen-age children, and a high-pressure job. I've had issues with my weight as long as I can remember, but mostly kept it under control until the two kids were born, when it just started going up and up and up. I gained 75 pounds with the first pregnancy and had a 7 1-2 pound baby, not a good combination!

Reading all your posts has been a big help to me and since I've finally registered with the forum I will try to contribute to the discussions. I'm not a big journal keeper and I don't really want to write down everything I eat as long as I keep losing (I can get obsessive about that kind of thing and it's not good for me).

Liz
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 21:05

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Welcome, Liz!

Congratulations on the success you've experienced thus far...

...and WELCOME TO THE FORUM (officially, I mean)!

Your story is awfully familiar to me. So many similar themes in many of our stories, it seems.

This is an excellent time to come out from lurking too. Of course, those pesky holidays are upon and food will abound...plus, there'll be many new people joining the forum over the next couple months and there'll be lots and lots of information shared.

I'll get out of the way now so others can welcome you too!

Good luck and good health to you--

Donald
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-02, 21:48

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Welcome Liz,

I remember gaining seventy pounds and having a six pounds

baby.

I was standing in front of the nursery window looking at my son.

I was asked by a nurse “with a kind smile” when I was due to

have my little one.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-02, 12:11
Work In Progress

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 323/284/160 Female 5'3"
BF:Size: 26/24/12
Progress: 24%
Default Hi Liz!

Welcome to the forum and BIG CONGRATS on your weight loss thus far!!

#5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 08:08

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi and welcome (officially)

It great to see you succeed. Keep it up.... the hard part is behind you now.........

Keep posting.

ATM
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 08:16
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Thanks everyone for your welcoming words. Another pound lost this week!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-02, 17:33

Plan: Atkins & CAD
Stats: 458/394/180 Female 5'4"
BF:yup..very.
Progress: 23%
Smile welcome liz!

welcome and congrats on you amazing sucess thus far!

you are definatley past the hardest part..the withdrawl....and well on your way

i identify with much of your story and want to encourage you to start a journal here on the site b/c that way folks can keep in touch and offer support and it REALLY helps!
you dont have to post what you eat everyday or be strict with the journal..you can just write about your thoughts or anything at all...i think it is a wonderful way to share the journey with others on the same wol.

blessings and welcome!

amarise
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 08:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Amarise, thanks for your warm welcome. I have taken your advice and started a journal.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-02, 18:17

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Talking Hello

Hi Liz...

Welcome to the forum...I have been off exercising for a couple of months and now that it's getting cold again I have time for the computer

Keep up the great work. Glad you found us.

Dee