Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 16:20

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 201/186/135
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default PCOS & Schwarzbein Principle--Any success?

Hello:

I am new to this whole low carb plan but have decided that this option just might be the one. I am looking for others who have PCOS and are following the Schwarzbein plan. If you are interested or have any advice, I would love to hear about it. Tomorrow I plan to start and am getting the kitchen ready and all my meals planned for the week.

For those who have tried the plan--what has been the most excitng and healthiest aspect of the plan for you? Better sleep, less craving, less moodiness, better numbers at the doctors office, more energy, weight loss????? Let me know...I know this is a plan for a healthy body and that good health can take its time...I just want to know I am making the right choice...Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 14:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

Hi! I have PCOS too. That's what got me started on this whole quest. Good luck! My goals are to heal first and the weight loss will come. To answer your questions. I have felt better now than I have felt for years and years. My overall outlook has improved. I can't wait to be able to sleep well, I'm hoping that happens soon. My biggest suggestion is to make sure you get the exercises in the way SPII suggests. That will help your energy level and improve the insulin resistance.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 17:25

BF:

Thanks for your input!!! I am glad to hear that someone is finding this a "right choice" and that you are feeling so much better.

I think I need to get the second book to look at those exercises. I will continue my walking for now and also yoga. I know I need to get back into the gym for the wieghts...I imagine that is addressed in the second book.

Thanks for you reply and your encouragement.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 07:29

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 205.5/201.5/185 Female 5'5"
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 20%
Default Question about PCOS

I know it's off-topic, but last time I went to my annual gynecological exam, the dr. asked mid-exam if I've ever been dx'd with POCS. With my legs up, I wasn't in an analytical mood -- didn't probe about why she asked. Why would she ask that? What sort of symptoms does one expect? How is it tested for? How would I know if I had it?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 10:07

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default All of the Above

I have PCOS and have been following TSP for 1 year and 3 months. I have had PCOS my whole life and have NEVER had regular periods and have gone as long as 3 years between cycles.

I stopped taking the pill 10 months ago. For the last 9 months or so I have had regular periods. My cycle has run 31 to 35 days. I am also experiencing physical precursors each month so I know when I ovulate. This is all new and wonderful for me.

Yes!!!! It works.

Other benefits I have had with low-carbing include: increased strength, stamina, and energy. I have started hiking (my most ambitious hike to date is a 10 mile hike to Feather Falls with a total combined climb of 3000 feet). My mood is more even, I sleep better, I don't fall asleep after lunch, I am much much happier and I look great. My cholesterol numbers are great, my BP is "normal."

When I started I had a fasting blood sugar of 138 and my doctor said I was diabetic or pre-diabetic. We didn't do anything with drugs about it because I was just starting low-carb and wanted to see if I could control it. My average blood sugar in November was 109 and my doctor said that I am no longer pre- or anything diabetic.

The only thing you might find discouraging is that I dropped about 30 pounds in the first 8 months and then stalled. I've been stalled since then and even put back about 5 pounds. But I am healthier than I have been since I was a teenager. And even though I am stalled, the health benefits have not stalled and I am still feeling better and better every day.

So my advice is Go for It. It does work. Give the program time and your body time to heal. I figure mine is still healing, and when it is ready, the rest of my excess weight will come off.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 11:36
Registered Member

Stats: 171/154/150 Female 5'9"
BF:??/18.8/??
Progress: 81%

I just had a doctor's appointment last week at which I complained about irregular periods (in fact, they did a pregnancy test because I was at day 35 -- it came back negative, and I got my period that night). The doctor mentioned PCOS, but neither she nor I think it's that, since my irregularity started after I began LCing. They're following up with some blood tests this week.

What I'm pretty sure of from my experience is that this way of eating does affect your hormones. Not only have my periods changed, but my mood has become so much more level. No more ups and downs. No more crabbiness - PMS. Unless I cheat and eat sugar, then it seems to take a week for my moods to get back to level.

I did a little research on PCOS and found that the Mayo Clinic has a good explanation:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cf...998ADE4B75EAB04
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:21

BF:

Thanks so much for each of your responses. It does sound very encouraging. I must confess that after yesterdays major headache ( lack of carbs & caffiene??) I was unsure if this was going to work. After your helpful insights, I know I can stick with this- even when it is tough.

As to more symptoms of PCOS --- check out the www.soulcysters.com board...there are so many that every person is different. For instance, I am experiencing more hair growth on my face ( slight), have skin tags apearing in random spots on the body, massive weight gain that is uncontrollable with "normal" low fat, sugar subsitute plans, abnormal periods for the last 10 years, sleep problems, acne/skin issues and incredible mood swings. Amazingly enough, no cysts around my ovaries ---you do not need to have them to have this syndrome. Also, heavier hair on thigh, belly, and arms---oh-so- pleasant! There are so many things that are a part of this--check out the above site and you will see. Good Luck!

I am heading to the Mayo clinic site soon--thanks for the info!!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 12:33

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default One note on getting started

I just wanted to let you know one thing: When you start low-carbing, the first week or two can be rough. My first week I had problems with low blood sugar and fatigue to the point that I self-medicated with fruit once. But after a week, I started feeling so much better. For some people it's longer than that, but for most it's not.

Also, because I did not have burned out adrenal glands, I have never had real problems with craving sweets or other carbs. If you also have burned out adrenals, you may have problems with cravings.

Hang in there. It's worth it.

;-Deb
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 17:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

I LOVE the www.soulcysters.com site. It has a wealth of information and encouragment. That's where I learned about Schwarzbein and was recommend to this site.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:11

Plan: My own low carb plan
Stats: 184/142/130 Female 5'6
BF:29%/20%/16%
Progress: 78%

hi,

I too have PCOS and have been following a low carb diet. I have read Atkins and The Schwarzbein principle but have stuck with Atkins more or less. I think any low carb plan is beneficial. Good luck with it

Danyele
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 22:55

Plan: 40-30-30
Stats: 205.5/201.5/185 Female 5'5"
BF:48%/47%/20%
Progress: 20%
Thumbs up Thx for posting the soulcysters link

Thanks a lot for posting the link to soulcysters. I'd say I probably _don't_ have PCOS, although I have similar symptoms (occasional, rare mid-cycle spotting, weight gain, and maybe a _little_ hairy, but clockwork cycles).

However, my aunt -- who is a diabetic epileptic and very overweight -- fits the symptom profile perfectly. She even has the velvety dark spots of skin. I'm hoping to talk with her about being dx'd and maybe trying TSP with me.

Do the PCOS symptoms improve after menopause?
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 09:09

BF:

Thanks so much for each of you posting your thooughts and advice... it has really helped me out this week..knowing I am making a better choice for a healthier me...it sounds like I will need to patient for any results but, after reading the book I expected that...I have ordered the second book so that will help...(didn't even know it existed when I first read this one as a friend loaned the book to me) At any rate, this is much easier to follow than the Insulin Resistant Diet...at least in my head it is so, I am hoping to be successful too.

I am glad people are enjoying the soulcysters site -- I have found it has brought me a greater understanding of PCOS and made me realize that I am not alone. I think that this board is going to help with that feeling as well.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 10:21

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Talking Hi everybody!

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17. I am 22 now and in the past 2 years I have managed to put on 100 lbs . so I decided to try low carb after my doctor suggested weight loss surgery. I started lowcarbing about 3 months ago and lost 11 lbs which I put back on a month ago when my husbands family was here so... I decided to start the Schwarzbein principle program and I started today so I'll let you guys know how it goes!
tae care everyone and God Bless!!!