Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%
Exclamation Flaxseed Meal Bitter??

I bought some from a health food store. I've tried it several ways and it's just AWFUL! SOOO bitter. I've tried the hot cereal, i've tried adding it to my Keto Low Carb Oatmeal, I've made Flaxseed Muffins. It's just soooo bad I can't even eat it, not even with loads of Redi Whip (whipped toppin) on it.The only way I've been able to eat it is sprinkle some on my Atkins Pancakes. I think it's just regular Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal. Is it supposed to taste this way? Is there anything you can do to make the bitter go away? Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
DD
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:11

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

don't eat it! i'm sure it is rancid. it's fragile just like the oils and needs to be refrigerated. i don't trust the preground flax seeds. the regular flaxseeds are best. ground them yourself in a little coffe grinder and put it in a container in the fridge. that way it is always fresh ( NEVER BITTER) hope you try it again...it is good and very good for you!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:13

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I eat flax meal cereal several mornings a week. Use:

1/4 cup flax meal
2 Tbls. soy protein isolate
2 Tbls. bran
sprinkle of brown sugar twin (or splenda, or DaVinci syrup, or artificial sweetner of choice)

add about 1/2 cup of hot water and stir until it thickens.

This has no bitter taste to me.

#4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/SugarBusters
Stats: 203/177/120 Female 5' 3
BF:lost 9.65% so far
Progress: 31%

Kay3osu----

I have kept this in the 'fridge since I bought it, it still adds a bitter taste to anything I put it in. My mom ate the muffins. She said it "wasn't so bad" but it was horrible. I'll definatly try the whole seeds as soon as I can pick up a grinder...

SkyAngel---
What is "soy protein isolate" and where would I get it? Heath food store or reg store? Also, what type of bran do u use? Is it available in reg. grocery store or would I need the health store for that too? I'm really new to low carbing so I don't know much about the "healthy" foods...lol

Thanks for the replies so far,
DD
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:40

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I buy both the soy and the bran at a grocery store that has bulk bins. You may have to get them at a health food store. The bran is just unprocessed wheat bran.

Soy protein isolate is a powder that is just the protein from soy beans. It can be added to things to anything to increase the protein. You can also buy soy flour to use in baking low-carb items. Some stores carry this in the baking section. Some people don't like the flavor of soy (also the basis of tofu) but for me it seems to pick up the flavor of whatever I add it to.

I forgot to add that you can top the flax meal ceareal with a little bit of cream or butter and that is real good too.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 15:06

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

DD,
just wondering if it was in the fridge section of the store when you bought it? I always see it on the shelf. so maybe went rancid there. good luck with the regular seeds....never had a problem with those. also, get a cheap coffee grinder and use just for seeds nuts etc. once you use it for coffee, it's hard to get that flavor out!! let me know!