Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-27-02, 23:45
Pending Member

Plan: mix
Stats: 120/120/110
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default WOW! L-Glutamine - is this for real?!

I have been working out a lot (mainly volleyball and recently added the Firm). Well, I get sore the next day. A lot. It seems like the soreness increased over the years, and sometimes, I would have to take advil just so I could sleep through the night. I just assumed I was just getting old (I am 43 now) and there was no way around it.

I have been coming to this board a lot and recently read about L-Glutamine for muscle recovery, so I bought a bottle of it (powder from Jarrow) last night, worked out, and took 6 gram of it before going to bed. You know what? My body didn't hurt as much through the night, so I took another 6gram when I got up this morning, and I didn't hurt at all until about noon. I just couldn't believe it!!

Is L-Glutamine supposed to start working right away like that?! I mean, with some things, it takes days, sometimes weeks to start working. Am I getting some kind of placebo effect here?

I sometimes get sore all over for no reason even when I don't exercies (it's a cyclic thing), but now, I think I'd try L-Glutamine when that time comes.

If this is not some freaky placebo thing, this supplement is AMAZING!!!!!!

Tomo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 06:54

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: WOW! L-Glutamine - is this for real?!

Quote:
Originally posted by tomoolson
If this is not some freaky placebo thing, this supplement is AMAZING!!!!!!

It really is amazing. It's the one supplement I would recommend over any other. It doesn't just help with DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) either - it boosts immune functions, it curbs cravings, it can help sufferers of IBS, Crohn's and other GI diseases.

Glutamine: The Essential "Non-Essential" Amino Acid

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 19:34

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 175/164/135
BF:
Progress: 28%

YES - I experienced that ALSO!!

I did LBWO yesterday and my hamstings were already sore by evening - I took my L- Glut at bedtime and NO SORENESS in the morning
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 13:59
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Default l-glut or taurine

i just read about l-glut. can this raise my blood sugar? also, would it be better to take taurine instead. is l-glut ok, in moderation? is that always the key?
paige17257
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-02-02, 00:42
Pending Member

Plan: mix
Stats: 120/120/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

Paige,

I have no idea if this raises blood sugar. I have a monitor, but it doesn't seem to raise mine. Why do you suspect it might raise your blood sugar?

Maybe Nat can answer the question (Nat, thanks for the link about L-Glutamine. It seems we can get a lot of side benefits for taking it for muscle recovery.) I did see something somewhere about diabetics taking caution when taking L-glutamine but I don't remember where I read it or why that was. Maybe you or someone else can shed some light on this... I am new to all this, and many of you are very very technical here and I am learning a lotl!!

Thanks,

Tomo
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 09:28
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Nat..what an awesome article. My daughter takes an anticonvulsant drug(actually 3)....I'm putting her on this as well as myself.

good reading...cin
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 02:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/147/125
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally posted by Cinderella
Nat..what an awesome article. My daughter takes an anticonvulsant drug(actually 3)....I'm putting her on this as well as myself.

good reading...cin

Did you see this part:
Precautions: Even though glutamine is nontoxic, it is recommended that you consult a health practitioner before using high doses. Diabetics, cancer patients, patients with advanced liver disease, and those with neurological diseases including stroke and epilepsy should use glutamine only with the permission of their doctor.

My daughter is also on meds for epilepsy and I'm a little paranoid about supplements causing seizures (past experience). Other than that it sounds like a wonder supplement! I think I'm going to try it myself and see if it helps with cravings and energy level.