Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 12:22

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 135/108/107
BF:?
Progress: 96%
Question Always cold

Since I began to eat low-carb I am always freezing. I used to be hot when everyone else was cold. Now I'm shivering when it's 75 degrees in my apartment. Does anyone else have this problem, if so what's the deal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 13:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jaden!

I can't say I'm cold all the time, but I've certainly noticed that I'm more sensitive to the cold now than when I was heavier. My thoughts on this are that my "feathers are thinner" so to speak. What I mean is that I have less insulation now than I did when it was cold before and I'm just feeling the effects of that.
You've lost almost 20% of your body weight and your body may simply not have adjusted to that yet.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 14:48
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Being cold all the time can also be a symptom of hypothyroidism, just FYI.

Here is a list of symptoms, in case you're interested (from the website http://www.endocrineweb.com/hypo1.html :

Fatigue
Weakness
Weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
Coarse, dry hair
Dry, rough pale skin
Hair loss
Cold intolerance (can't tolerate the cold like those around you)
Muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
Constipation
Depression
Irritability
Memory loss
Abnormal menstrual cycles
Decreased libido
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 15:40

Default Still cold

Thanks for getting back with me. I lost that weight months almost a year ago, so I think my body would have adjusted by now.

Also, I had my thyroid tested 2 weeks ago & tests came back normal, although I have almost all of those symptoms. I really appreciate the feedback.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 20:15

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I've also had most of the symptoms for many years! I'm always cold! I almost drove my office mate crazy until we finally got split up!

I've been tested probably 5 or 6 times and the results are always right smack in the middle of "normal". I'm starting to think normal isn't normal after all!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 20:22
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there Jaden,

Are you drinking lots and lots of water? Dehydration can make you feel cold too. Water is the most important element that the body uses to regulate temperature. It circulates through the body kinda like a radiator. So drink up Warm herbal tea or clear broth would be good.

Another thing - is the air in your home dry?? That too will make you feel cold .. and will add to the dehydration, since dry air will cause moisture from your skin and your breath to evaporate. One way to tell is if your eyes, nose and mouth are really dry. If that's the case, you might consider investing in a room-size humidifier.

Just a thought

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-02, 20:26

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know....

My dad is a doctor and we've discussed this because I firmly believe that I may have a sluggish thyroid (have a lot of the symptoms) even though my blood tests consistently come back within normal limits. What he told me is that you can have a thyroid problem long before it ever shows up on the bloodwork, especially if you tend towards low thyroid.
If you really feel that you have a thyroid problem, my suggestion would be to go see an endocrinologist. Tell them your symptoms and hopefully they will be able to give you some good advice.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 08:00

Smile thanks

Thanks I appreciate the advice. I drink about seven quarts of water a day, so I don't think it's dehydration. I think it's my thyroid but my doc assures me it's not. I guess it's time to see an endo. Thanks. Have a great day !
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 08:33
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Here's what the Atkins website says about testing for hypothyroid and a do-at-home test as well:

The Thyroid Gland and Metabolic Resistance

Your thyroid gland's main purpose in life is to regulate the speed of your metabolism.

It's not difficult to understand how an underactive thyroid—the medical condition known as hypothyroidism—can slow your metabolism and play havoc with weight loss. Among other things, your thyroid gland regulates your body temperature. In fact, sensitivity to cold is one of the first signs that you may have a sluggish thyroid. Like other hormones, thyroid production naturally diminishes slightly with age; in fact, easily 25 percent of adults suffer from low thyroid function. The swings of estrogen production in perimenopause or menopause can also throw thyroid function off.

To ascertain whether you have hypothyroidism, your doctor will do blood tests to evaluate your production of thyroid hormones T4 (also known as thyroxine) and T3 (your body converts T4 to T3), as well as another hormone called TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone), which is produced by your pituitary gland. At The Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine, practitioners do tests on free T3, T4 and TSH levels. However, these clinical tests do not catch all cases. To ascertain whether you might have a sluggish thyroid, first think about whether you are experiencing any of the aforementioned signs, such as sensitivity to cold, as well as weight gain or inability to lose weight, hair loss, fatigue and lethargy, depression, dry skin, chronic constipation, poor nails, poor memory and elevated cholesterol levels. If so, there is a simple way—the Barnes technique of basal metabolism—to ascertain if you are hypothyroid. It doesn't even require a trip to your doctor.

Simply take your temperature orally four times a day (before each meal and before you go to bed) for four days. Average your temperature each day, and if it is consistently below 98° F, you are likely to have hypothyroidism. If it is significantly lower, you almost definitely do, and you should bring this information to the attention of your physician. (Be prepared: Not all doctors take basal metabolism as seriously as they should.)

Occasionally, the reason for an underactive thyroid is the deficiency of the amino acid tyrosine and the mineral iodine, both of which help make T3. Zinc and selenium help produce the enzyme that converts T4 to T3. But nutritional deficiency is rarely the cause of hypothyroidism. There are other causes, one of which can be an autoimmune response.

A major reason for hypothyroidism is simply the body's own attempts to preserve the status quo while on a weight-loss program. Dr. Atkins uses a therapeutic trial to treat thyroid problems. He starts patients with a very low dose of a prescription thyroid hormone replacement and builds up gradually and very carefully. In most cases, when the right dose is reached, patients start to feel dramatically better, with a much better overall sense of well-being and increased energy and vitality. Best of all, they start to lose weight. The solution is to take thyroid hormone—both T3 and T4, preferably—in a natural form (rather than the synthetic type). He prescribes the synthetic kind of thyroid hormone only in cases of an autoimmune disease, when your own immune system might destroy the natural kind.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 09:54
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I, too, am freezing when I never used to. Aside from the weight loss, I think it is BECAUSE I drink so much water. Slugging down glass after glass of cool water (like I'm going to drink it warm) will inevitabley bring the body temp down. You'd think the many sprints to the restroom would counteract that but apparently not. On days when I didn't get my water intake where it should be I noticed I was actually warmer.

My chiropractor mentioned I might be having thyroid problems as well. When I asked what exactly the thyroid was responsible for he said, metabolism and regulating body temperature. (!!!) He suggested I begin taking sea kelp for the added iodine.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 12:15

Smile Hey

Teri,
I really appreciate your input you've been so helpful. I'm going to see an Endocronologist next week, hopefully she can figure me out.

Iowagirl,
I'm sure the water isn't helping, but I drink alot of it at room temperature. I am on Kelp also 450mcg a day. Herbal nutrition is kind of my hobby, Kelp is beneficial in so many other ways.

It also naturally assists with:

constipation
regulating blood pressure
building up the immune system
as anti-rheumatic
antibiotic
anti-bacterial
anti-toxin
a diuretic to remove excess water and
helps to build stronger bones, teeth, nails and hair,
assists in weight loss
cellulite
respiratory ailments and even
senility.

http://www.ageless.co.za/keykelp.htm
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 18:31

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Me TOO! I am always cold in the office where I was always hot. Must be because I have less bodyfat