Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 05:36
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Help I gained

Yesterday I started CAD and followed Plan D and this morning I got on the scales and gained two pounds . Can anyone help tell me why? Here's what I had:

B- 2 eggs, 3 sausage links

L- water

D- 4 oz steak, salad, green beans, 3 biscuits, mash potatos, and Key Lime Pie

I was on the verge of anorexia since June (I only ate 200-400 cal. a day) do you think that's why I gained and should I still stay at that low calorie rate to not gain???

Discouraged
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 07:40

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'd bet that you gained because you did not eat enough. A stressed body is one that is not getting what it needs to function. A stressed body holds onto fat and water. Not eating lunch is stressful.

A good rule of thumb for calories is 10x your current body weight a day. This number helps to satisfy your basal metabolic functioning - this is what your body needs to do everything it has to do if you were to stay in bed all day. It does not take into account any activities or your lifestyle.

Having a history of yo-yo dieting and/or starvation dieting will mean that fat loss is going to be slower and possibly more difficult. You have a metabolism that needs to heal and it needs to be fed.

Chances are you've been very low on protein for a while - your body has some work to do. Hormones, muscles, cell repair are all the function of the protein you eat. While this may end up reflecting an increase on the scale it is a) temporary and b) probably muscle. Muscle takes up less place than fat - so while a pound of each is still a pound scale wise you actually end up re-composing your body. You weigh the same but you are smaller.

Have you taken measurements? They are a much more accurate indication of fat loss than a scale will ever be for the reasons mentioned above. I spent a 6 week period where I actually gained 2 lbs but lost over 3 inches on both my waist and hips - If I had gone with the scale I would have thought I was gaining weight, instead of losing a dress size.

Also, you might find that CAD is not the program for you. Many people cannot handle the reward meal - it sets off too many carb cravings. I'd keep a close eye on how I felt after that meal and the next morning to see how it was effecting me.

Lastly - it is not possible to gain 2 lbs of fat overnight. Unless of course you ate 7000 calories over and above what you need to function. Highly unlikely What you're seeing is water bloat - possibly from the carby reward meal, and possibly from retention due to eating too little.

LCing is about repairing insulin resistance and learning to eat healthy and nutritious whole foods. Try to keep your calories up and work on getting past that "less is better" mindset that low fat/ restricted calories ingrains in us all. I notice you went through the Success Stories forum - it may do you some good to keep revisting that place. Those people did it, and they did it by eating, not by starving themselves.

Best of luck,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 08:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi harpseal,

I totally agree with what Natrushka has said. In addition, I notice your Reward Meal is way, way, way unbalanced and over-heavy with the carbs, and not nearly enough protein .. or fat (unless you omitted to mention any oil or butter used in your meal).

I'm not sure which version of Carb Addicts you have? Their most recent edition, The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program, is very clear that the Reward Meal is to be balanced, with adequate protein and fat and carbs ... and is not meant to be a free-for-all, "eat as much carbohydrate as possible in one hour" binge

From the Carb Addicts' FAQs page, here's what they have to say about the Reward Meal:
Quote:
Q: In your more recent book, The Carbohydrate Addict's LifeSpan Program, you talk about the importance of balancing my daily carbohydrate-rich (Reward) meal. From reading your earlier book, I thought I could eat whatever I want at my Reward Meal?

A: This is one of the most common errors we encounter and it can lead to weight-loss being slowed or halted as well as triggering cravings. In our earlier book, we indicated that during Reward MealsŪ you could eat anything you want as you would in a balanced feast; we did not say you could eat everything you wanted in an unbalanced binge.

We realize that it is essential to specify exactly what we mean by a "balanced" Reward MealŪ. First, there is no need to ever count, measure or weigh your food. Simply, begin each Reward MealŪ with one or two cups of salad. The remainder of the meal should divided into thirds estimated "by eye": 1/3 portion of a protein, such as meat, fish, foul, tofu or the like; 1/3 portion of low-carbohydrate vegetables (steamed, sauteed, or raw); 1/3 portion of carbohydrate-rich vegetables and other foods such as potatoes, rice, beans, and bread. The 1/3 portion of carbos should include your dessert. If you want more food, go back for more of all three. Don't just go back for more carbo. If you want more carbo, include additional protein and low-carb vegetables as well. Then enjoy some dessert.

(to read the rest of this article, click here)
They've also posted some sample Reward Meal menus to give you an idea of how you should balance things.

As Nat stated, Carb Addicts may not be the plan for you. On the other hand, it looks like you haven't been following the plan exactly as written. Perhaps you could get back to basics, follow the program to a T, use the menus in the book, and review the Carb Addicts' FAQ's on their website.

Don't give up ... you still have lots of options. Remember: You can't win the game if you quit playing

Doreen

p.s. - we've removed the several copies of your post which were in various places around the forums This is to avoid confusion and having duplicated answers and replies.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/Atkins
Stats: 274/238/150
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Thanks!!

Natrushka,
Thank you for the reply! I believe you're right about how my body is going to react now that I'm eating more again. Ok, I'm going to hold my breath (only for a moment) and really try to eat more calories (shaking and almost hyperventilating). You have made such great progress that I have to dig down deep and get the courage to do the same things as the wonderful people here who has lost the correct way!! I think I'm going to try Atkins first to get my body in a some what normal eating state again and then may move back to CAD later?!

Doreen T,
Thanks for pointing out that my RM wasn't balanced, I guess I didn't really study it correctly. I see now that I should have only had one carb. instead of three. Since my body's trying to readjust to eating again, I think I'll do the above then come back to CAD. Also thanks for cleaning up my posts, I didn't think about the confusion!

Both of you thanks again and keep your fingers crossed for me, it's going to be a LONG road ahead!!!