Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/262/165 Male 5' 10"
BF:35
Progress: 0%
Default high blood pressure

This mornings blood pressure was 145/92 i.e. in the stage 1 high blood pressure zone. I also have high cholesterol. Blood pressure was 75. Before this diet is was in the low 50s.

Have been on the diet for just one year and a quarter. Lost only 30 pounds. BMI is 26.4, still in the overweight range. Looking to lose 10 more pounds.

Clearly, I need to make some changes. Limit the fat intake and stay on the diet or get off the diet.

What can I do to stay on it while limiting fat intake?

What is the method to easing off the diet?

What is the name of the Atkins book that would describe process?
(no acronyms please)

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 08:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Terminal, you should find some answers to your questions in this post by Doreen. It is possible that you have developed a sensitivity to arachidonic acid, found in red meat and egg yolks. This often causes cholesterol and blood pressure to rise, instead of fall, as is most common with LCing. The Eades adress this issue in Protein Power, and that is where Doreen is quoting from.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...rac%2A+AND+acid

HTH
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 16:55

Default blood pressure up since post

Thanks for the post.

Just since this morning my blood pressure has gone up significantly.

Any other information on ARACHIDONIC ACID would certainly be appreciated.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 17:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Terminal, try a search on this site for it - there are many posts. I would also recommend checking out Protein Power by the Eades (I am sure your local library will have a few copies of it). They do address this issue in some detail.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 18:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

One high reading does not necessarily indicate a problem, but it bears watching. Doctors do not consider you to have hypertension until you have several readings that are in the high range. Blood pressure naturally goes up and down during the day and under different circumstances. Some things that could temporarily elevate your blood pressure are stress, water retention, physical exertion and caffeine consumption. Stress definitely affects my blood pressure. It is always in the normal range when I check it on the machine at work, but the second I step into my doctor's office, up it goes.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 18:05

Default today showed some improvement

Today my blood pressure was 125/90 with a heart rate of 89.

Still too high but better. And I just came back from the gym where I worked out for about twenty minutes, followed by 40 minutes on the treadmill and another 35 on the stairstepper.

Picked up the books recommended and am now reading them.

Part of the problem may be environmental. In a difficult and highly stressful home situation and was to say the lease, PISSED OFF about a job interview.

This year has been very stressful. Historically my heart rate had been in the high 50s.

Thank you for the info.