Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%
Default Help !!!! Just got my Cholesterol tests back and its gone up ! - Dont know what to Do

Hi

Been following the Atkins WOL for 6 months now and the results have been amazing. However, because Heart problems run in my dads side of the family - he also died suddenly 18mths ago at aged 55 due to heart attack, Ive been aware that I need to keep a close eye on my Cholesterol. I was tested in april of last year when my HDl level was 4.9 which is within normal levels. However was tested again last week, weighing 65lbs lighter ( and feeling fab!!) but my levels have increased to 6.7 which is classed as high. The nurse has recommended I come off of Atkins straight away and move over to a low fat diet. But I dont really want to. im scared if I stop this WOl the weight is gonna just pile back on. I really dont know what to do, but i know I have to think of my long term health.

Can I do anything different that will help lower my levels but allow me to stay on the Atkins WOl. I still need to lose another 18lbs so would I be putting myself at risk by keeping to what Im currently doing until I lose that weight and then start to cut down on the levels of fat im eating??

Sorry if im waffling, but its really thrown me and im confused as to what to do for the best !!!

Lisa x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carbing
Stats: 323/318/200 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 4%

Congrats on your weight loss...I have just started doing atkins/low carb thing...I am no expert but i would think maybe you could cut back on your fat and make sure you dont get hardly any carbs...You might check out the south beach diet from what i have been hearing it is basicly like atkins but it is a low fat diet...they are watching the carbs on it as well.. good luck..hope your cholestrol comes down...

My mom has high cholestrol and the doc has told her to take niacin to lower it...he started her out at 1000mg a day you can get the no flush at walmart..that might help but probably should talk to your doctor about this as well..
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 14:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa uk
... I was tested in april of last year when my HDl level was 4.9 which is within normal levels. However was tested again last week, weighing 65lbs lighter ( and feeling fab!!) but my levels have increased to 6.7 which is classed as high. .

hi Lisa,

First, take a deep breath, then relax You're probably doing a lot better than you think.

Total cholesterol really doesn't mean anything .. it could be elevated because your HDL ("good") has risen. And most clinicians now know that even if the LDL ("bad") is elevated, that doesn't always mean increased heart risk since they've discovered certain LDL particles are actually beneficial! Better indicators of heart health are HDL ... should be over 1.03 (if it's over 1.55 then it's protective even if the LDL is elevated).

Another more important factor is your triglyceride level. Should be below 2.3.

Have a read through this thread here in the Cholesterol Forum .. Cholesterol and understanding its numbers. Also, you may find this article very enlightening .. Cholesterol and Heart Disease - a phony issue, by Dr Mary Enig.

Hope this helps to ease your mind,

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 08:13
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein & Atkins
Stats: 262/246/170 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

About your cholesterol.
Get on the niacin as recommended by Robert E, Kowalski in his book titled: The New 8-week Cholesterol Cure. It is wonderful.

Start low, 100- 200 mg of Niacin IR ( Immediate Release)at breakfast. You will flush - don't get scared. That will subside as you build up the mg/ day. Then Niacin SR (sustained release with your next meal).

Kowalski says "Avoid time released if it is Niacinimide." Use only products that are say Niacin. Many people take as much as 2000 mg/day.

My husband has been able to cut his Lipitor in half. Hopes to get off it completely.

My husband now takes 500 mg IR at breakfast and dinner. His total cholesterol is like 160. His HDL (the healthy desirable lipid) is increasing.
That's good, too. Dr. wants it 50 or higher and wants the LDL (lousy destructive lipid) below 100.

Be sure to get a breakdown of your cholesterol - not just the number (which by the way should be below 200).

To your good health.!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 10:45

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Learn more about dietary fats. Dietary fats should not cause your cholesterol to increase if your insulin is in the normal range. By keeping your insulin normal the pancreas should release a partner hormone, called glucagon, which balances the body's lipids. This is the main reason that low carbers have great profiles. I would ask your doctor about your glucose/insulin balance before considering that there is anything wrong with your lipids. Consuming less fats doesn't, necessarily, make this diet safer.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/206/160 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Lissa: You should be so proud of the amount you have lost- it's just excellent.
My bad cholesterol level has been too high, but the Dr was so pleased that I had lost weight with Atkins, she suggested I stick with it, but really be vigilant about my exercise- 45 minutes of walking a day, at least 5 days a week. She said that exercise is a one of the key factors in lowering the bad stuff. I've been following her advice, and I'm getting tested again in a month, so we'll see.