Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/204/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Depo Prevera and Weight

Has anyone ever gotten off of Depo and done better on their weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Depo should not effect your weight loss. I spoke with my doctor about it when I first becan taking the shots again. The reason many have a hard time losing on the birth control pill is because it contains estrogen. Depo is pure progesterone.

It is possible to gain weight on depo, only because it can cause carb cravings. If you are on Atkins though you should have your cravings under control through induction. If not I would suggest doing a clean induction again, meaning no shakes, bars, or treats.

One side effect is the period lost. That means no wooshes after, but also no gains as you retain. I still get mild PMS symptoms and some spotting though. I think around that time I may plateau a bit then start up again later, hard to tell.

If you do decide to quite depo, what BC will you go to? Birth control pills have way more side effects and problems with weight gain. There is the new IUD, I havn't heard anything about that relating to weight. Personally I prefer the depo to the alternative. Being pregnant is how I gained most o fmy weight
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:28
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you! I just got off Depo - and I haven't spoken with my Dr. I haven't had the TOM yet either (it's been about 4 months since my last shot). If I do decide that I need birth control, I will take into consideration the advice that you gave.
Mischa
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:32
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I gained some weight when I was on Depo Provera, about 5 years ago. It also made me SUPER moody!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 13:33

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

My friend gained a lot of weight on it, then when she got off she lost it all because her eating habits had not changed! But she had her period for 1 year straight! Not heavy and somedays not at all but man what a meany so that is something to remember!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 15:02
Zora

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I am on the depo shot and have lost 51 lbs in 5 months, so I do not feel that it has hampered me in any way. I do find that I am moodier though, and have to watch myself.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 16:07
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Remember after quiting Depo it can take a year or more to concieve. That is if you are trying and that's why you quit.

You can also get pregnant right away. I think it matter mostly on wha tyou want and of course your body will do the exact opposit

Depo will take at least the 3 months between shots to start to wear off. This means it could be that long or even longer until you get TOM. Being LC can also effect TOM though. Some women skip periods, others get heavy ones with less cramping, some get spotting ect ect ect Part of the reason is estrogen is stored in fat cells and as you lose weight your hormones go a bit haywire.

Hang in there. I'm sure everything will regulate itself out.

KristyC - Everyone reacts differently to different hormones. I hope you found amethod that agrees with you I'm lucky so far I havn't had any side effects other then a sore arm and the spotting thing. I had to do 6 months of strong BC pills to treat endo a while back. I gained about 30 pounds and became a homicidal b***. I mean I was crazy, cranky, and verged on violent. I feel sorry for my Ex hubby who had to put up with me and very glad I didn't have kids back then.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-03, 16:12

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

I went off my HRT's when I started this diet and noticed a big change in my mood! I don't know if it has anything to do with my weight loss or not, but when my sister when off hers they made a big difference!

Glad I don't have to worry about birth control anymore! I was on Depo for a short time prior to my hysterectomy and it didn't agree with me at all!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 09:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for all of the insight! I'm so glad that I found this forum!
Mischa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins!!!
Stats: 151/147/140
BF:
Progress: 36%

I believe depo not only impends weight loss, but makes you fatter. I gained 10 pounds while on it and dieting and exercising religiously! I just smartened up and switched to tri cyclen.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:55

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I was on Depo for 6 months, three years ago. I had constant bleeding - to the point where my dr. had to add the mini-pill to stop it. I also felt like I was having constant PMS, and gained 25 lbs. around my middle (no change in eating habits). Bleh! poison! I have an IUD now, no problems, no worries.