Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 08:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/241/140
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question Yogurt

Hi I am on week 4 of induction. Things are going very well. I need to increase my caloric intake though. I am usually under 1300 or less eveyday. I was wondering if I could add yogurt to up the calories a little bit. I just can't eat any more meat (beef, chicken, shrimp) than I already consume and thought maybe yogurt would help. If it is allowed what kind do you eat? I've seen posts saying full fat yogurt but I would assume it doesn't have sugar right? I know chances are I won't be allowed to eat it. But thought I'd ask. I need to get my calories up. Thanks Ellen

P.S. I haven't bought one in years.. so can anyone recommend a good workout video thats fun but for a beginner. I've seen the Firm tapes mentioned here and there are they good?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130//
BF:
Progress: 103%
imho- as i am still new at this myself, i wouldnt add a whole container of yogurt but what i have really enjoyed for breakfast and snacks is homemade belgin waffels, this morning i had mine w/ spoon of walnuts and 1 tabl of raspberry yogurt. Pancakes are very easy and you can use them in many meals to skip the meat - make them w/ a slice of cheese or sour cream -whatever but i wouldnt have been able to stick w/ this diet w/o adding in some faux starches!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:57
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Not during induction.

But... plain full fat yogurt is good for a lc diet. The cultures aren't digested the same way so you can subtract 8 carbs from each cup of yogurt to get your net carbs.

To get calories up you can just add some more full fat dressings, mayo, butter, olive oil or heavy cream... When you up your calories in this way you are much more satisfied with eating less.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:24

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Oh, Lisa, fingers crossed

Hi all,

Am starting fourth week and all I've added to induction is a much looser count of "good" vegetables (spinach, lettuce, broccoli, asparagas, etc.) and Diet Rite soda. (I gave up all artifical sweetners plus caffine to start.)

BUT -- have always loved yogurt. Dr. Atkins definitely says no to yogurt on induction, so I restricted it to one spoonful a day -- after breakfast. The only ingredients in the yogurt I buy are whole milk and live cultures. The label says 8 grams of fat, 8 grams of protein and 10 grams of carbs in 1 cup. And, of course, zero grams of fiber.

So, how can I figure a reduced carb count for yogurt and sneak a little more in? Lisa, this sounds good, but I'm confused. (I'm easily confused.)

Am so afraid to stray away from induction, just 'cause it is working. I am, very very very slowly, losing weight. And I don't want to blow the meager allowed carb count on yogurt.

Thanks.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 10:58

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Wow... this is a common question. Take a look at a great article I posted about this recently in this thread:

Eat that full fat yogurt!

Lisa summed a lot of things up but this goes enough in depth to satisfy the curiousity of nonbelievers. Basically, the little guys in the yogurt eat a majority of the lactose sugars. I count a cup of full fat yogurt with lots of active cultures as 4 carbs. A good brand to look for is Stonyfield Farms. They use the most cultures of any yogurt on the market and make a very good full fat sugar free kind.

#6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:03

Stats: 196/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Default Thank you

Hi all,

Skamito, thank you for re-posting this article. Thanks a whole low-carb bunch a lot.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:06
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I like Dannon plain yogurt too... easy to find and creamy.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:40
Cat Sofa

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 1/1/51 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:

Or try the cream-line yogurt at Trader Joe's. Wonderful stuff.