Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Cool Plugging Along

Hello, all you low-carbers!

I started Atkins 4 weeks ago, the same way I quit smoking 5 years ago-plunge in and go for it, all at once! Of course, after I quit smoking was when I started putting on those extra 30+ pounds. When I went to the doctor last August and weighed in at 192, it was a nasty shock! First, my home scale was off by 10 pounds (owch!), and secondly, I had maintained a good, realistic weight for my hieght (5' 11" and small build) for 16 years, so I thought I had this weight thing stabilized-WRONG!!!

Having tried several different diet plans, I did manage to take off 10 pounds between August and December 2002. Well, then the holidays came along, but I did stay at the same weight (184. more or less). Problem was, no more would come off, no matter what I did. I didn't realize that I was a sugar and carb addict until 1/31/03, when Dr. Atkins appeared on the Today show. I figured i could find a website, and I did. I was impressed by several things, including the fact that you can start and follow his program strictly on the web, and never have to buy anything...

So, I started, and really experienced very few ill effects. I missed the carbs and sugar for about 3 days, then I got this incredible rush of energy and well-being. For the first time in my life, I can go to sleep with relative ease and wake up before the 2nd or 3rd alarm goes off, with enough energy to get through the day. No more sleeping at the wheel of my car or needing a nap after lunch !

In addition to strictly following the Atkins induction plan, I do exercise by walking 30 minutes and lifting weights, usually about 6 days a week-the pounds and inches have started to come off!! I've lost 10 pounds in the 4 weeks. My clothes fit ever-so-much better . I even had to buy some new underwear!

Now I'm going back and forth between induction and Ongoing Weight Loss. I take Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium supplements b/c I have developed Restless Leg Syndrome (don't laugh, it's a real misery). I've also added Fish Oil supplements. Otherwise, I still take a good multi-vitamin (one-a-day for active women), and Fosamax for my bones.

I'm new to the message boards, but find them very encouraging. My only concern is sticking to the plan faithfully over the long haul. I have about 14 more pounds to go to get to my goal weight. My oldest daughter (28) will graduate from a very prestigious grad school in May, so I'm aiming to be as close as possible to my goal by then.

Any long-termers, please advise on good ways to hang in on a day-to-day basis.

I also agree with many of you that I would like to tell everyone in this country to stop killing themselves with carbs!!!

Thanks to All,
Jan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 12:58
Registered Member

Stats: 310/250/160
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Focus

The only way I know to succeed is to keep your mind completely on your goal. What do you want? If you do not get that determination and focus now, you will just gain the weight back later. You need to focus on the methodology that Atkins lays out in the book. I use the Atkins book as a handbook; an instruction manual. It helps me a great deal. I also look in the mirror frequently. Once you can do that and he completely happy with what you see, then you can stop losing and start maintaining.

No one can tell you anything that is going to sway you in the long term. It has to be your desire to be whom you want to be. You do not have much weight to lose. It is going to take time, and it must become a way of life; not a short term solution.

Good Luck!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:24

Stats: 184/156/160 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 117%
Smile Focus: to Teuthis

Thanks for the encouragement, you are so right-
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:33

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jannie, congratulations on trying this WOE before your weight really ballooned. I've been at this since August 02 and have reached goal. Now my goal is to stay between 130 and 135 for the rest of my life. Whew! I have recently learned that it is vastly too easy to slip back into old habits. We really do have to make conscious decisions about what we will and won't each each day.

Cindy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 15:44

Stats: 367/225/175
BF:
Progress: 74%
Talking

Jannie Welcome!!

For me, this is not a plan, or a diet, or much of anything else except who I am.

I love when people say "Oh, your on the Atkins diet?" I say, "No, I choose to eat Low Carb for life."

It is what I am, who I am and what I do!! It is not a matter of sticking to it, it is a matter of being a Low Carber for life.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 16:49

Stats: 245/219/145
BF:
Progress: 26%

Jannie, it sounds like you are doing great! Keep your mind on how well you feel, your sleep improvements etc. I know all about those restless legs, but this too shall pass.