Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 12:45

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default How does everyone handle the holidays with CKD?

Do you rearrange your carb loads?

Just give it up for a week or two?

So far I have a plan figured out for Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Halloween falls on Thursday night so that works will with my Friday carb load, I will just raid the kids' candy and take what i can eat.

For Thanksgiving I am planning to move my carbload up one day to Thursday. The problem is that I leave for Hunting Camp on Saturday which means lots of beer drinking and "bad" food eating. I wont be able to get back into the gym until Tuesday or Wednesday. Can this be written off as a refeed and leptin level reset?

Christmas and New Years present similar problems. But i think i can surivive by getting back to the gym the day after each holiday. Hopefully I wont lose too much ground.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 13:55

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

Yeaj, im jsut gunan gardually shift my crab-up to fit in on these days....so better watch out. And no, on my carbloads, I wont be really counting numbers, lets just call it a freeforall refeeding. So I think a Leptin reset would make a good title.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 14:12

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

I usually skip a carb up before a moajor event, so instead of losing 2-3 days of ketosis, I actually add 3-4 days by nmot carbing up the week before.

Its so easy to give in to birthdays and the like, I always find it hard to stay on track knowing I am gonna break early for a wedding or whatever, I find it alot easier to deal with mentally if I know I went that the carb up is overdue and well deserved
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-24-02, 14:44

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default not much help ...

I bulk. hehehe

Seriously though, you could change your carb-up days to the 2 days where you will be eating alot ... and just extend your keto phase until you get there. That's how I used to do it. And make sure you get to the gym the day after and do the morning cardio.

Dieting thru the holidays is tough, and I found myslef giving in too much so I switched my whole year-plan to allow a bulking phase that goes thru Thanksgiving and Crhistmas.

The Cut begins after New Year's.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-02, 06:52

Plan: CKD
Stats: 162/?/? Female 5'6
BF:16
Progress: 0%

I'm not too worried about it. Finding time to workout will be much harder for me than sticking to the meals.
Luckily I don't have kids, so Halloween isn't going to present a problem. Thanksgiving is on a Thursday and I carb-up on Saturdays. I don't want to waste my carb-up on stuffing, potatoes and pie anyway. I'd rather eat my normal carb-up foods the following Saturday. I'll just stick to the turkey and bring my own mayo.
For Christmas we have a "theme". Last year was appetizers, this year it's seafood, so I'll be able to stay on track.
It's just not worth it, if our holidays were spent at the Dairy Queen, I may consider it. But none of the off-limit foods that are being served are worth it to me.
My family understands and is used to it, I'm more worried about the in-laws. They take it so personally, yet they never let us bring anything. Call me vain if you want, but my desire to lose weight is much stronger than my desire to cheat.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 13:30

Stats: 298/190/180
BF:
Progress: 92%

I really don't carb-out, even for holidays and what not, but
if I do, I always keep some ALA handy and make sure that I add some more time to my work-out routines and take in a little less post-workout maltodextrin, it seems to balance things out.

It's really all about making what you over-ate disappear, which is mainly by over-exercising, just compensating for that little or big splurge. ALA helps by sending more of the glucose from those carby foods to your muscles rather than possibly storing them as fat.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

uh..whats ALA????(sorry,jsut a nwebie here).....

misty,
i see u combine atkins with ckd...may i ask a sample eating day plan for u..coz im plannin to follow that knd of combination as u are and im just learning ropes around here..im still atlost with regards to carbing up etc...
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 12:24

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

Alpha Lipotic Acid increases insulin sensitivity == ALA
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-30-02, 14:30

Stats: 298/190/180
BF:
Progress: 92%

To sum up what ALA does without getting too technical. First it's a powerful antioxidant, that's good enough for me to take it.

Secondly ( and most important when eating carbs and carbing up ) it shuttles more glucose and nutrients into your muscles by opening up receptor sites on your muscle's cell surface. This allows more glucose to be taken up by your muscle system thus decreasing the amount of glucose that could possibly be stored as fat if muscle and liver glycogen stores are full.

Some people make the mistake of thinking it's a magic pill, eating anything they want all the time and then complaining of something called the ALA-Gut. It's no magic act that once your muscle stores are full and your liver glycogen is full, all those carbs are going to be stored in your fat cells unless you work them off.

When used correctly ALA is an invaluable tool!