Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 13:17

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Doing Cardio + Weights 3 days; What to do on alternate days?

I'm currently doing a "Firm" tape that includes cardio with intervals of free weights. I'm doing this hour long routine every other day, and I'd like to do something on the days between.

On the alternate days, I'd like to workout for about 20 min, and I'm trying to choose between Pilates or a 20 min. HIIT on a treadmill or NordicTrack. My goal is to loose pounds and inches, and become stronger.

While I've heard great things about Pilates, I'm worried about overtaxing my muscles. The video I'm using isn't as intense as a "real" weight training workout, but it does work all the different muscle groups.

Will mixing in Pilates allow my muscles to sufficiently rest? Or am I better off with the HIIT to loose fat?

Comments? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default IMHO

I would say do the 20 mins HIIT Cardio as its not good to weight train the same muscles without a rest day in between. How about a good ab workout if that's not included in your FIRM workout?

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 12:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I would increase your cardio to at least five days per week. I like to hit the five to six days a week with cardio...and then do the resistance training every other day. I'm down in the back right now and can't do much of anything, and whew...I do miss it. Anyway...that's my thoughts on it.

L
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 14:26

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

I actually do weights & cardio on consecutive days. I will do a lighter tape (sometimes referred to as a "hare" in firm terminology) the day after a heavy tape (or tortoise).

Do you have more than one firm tape?