Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:01

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Let's talk about Oatmeal

I love oatmeal. I have tried flax o meal and I am still having nightmares about it. I want the real deal. Is there any low carb version of oatmeal that actually tastes like oatmeal? How bad is the real deal? I am to the point where I may have to just break down, save up some carbs and eat a bowl of the real thing. I have heard some people say soemthing about steel oats. Can anyone help? I miss my oatmeal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I re-introduced real oatmeal during OWL almost at my goal.

This is my mix.

1/4 rolled oats.
1/4 cup of Ground flax meal
3 Tbsp of Wheat germ.

Water to cover, Microwave at power 6, for 2:30 min
Add berries, nuts, Divinci sweeter if needed, cream, cream cheese, what ever you can.

I can't see how doing this will do any harm, eating a big honking bowl of just oatmeal, yep it could do some harm

I eat this at least 4 times a week.

Enjoy Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:14

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I'm eating the Keto Oatmeal almost everyday. It does NOT taste exactly like oatmeal. The first time I had it, I thought Ick! But now I add about 1/2 tblsp of butter and a dash of cinnamon and I really enjoy it. It might not be the real deal, but I have come to really enjoy the hot cereal! It also only has 3 net carbs, no sugar alcohols, so it's a pretty good thing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:15

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Steel cut oats are the least refined version of oatmeal that I am aware of. They can be hard to find. They are pretty good on the glycemic scale, although I don't know the exact number. I eat them and I am still losing. My suggestion would be to start with a very small amount - maybe 1/2 cup dry, and eat other LC things at the same time. I sometimes mix whey protein in with mine, but I prefer the taste of the plain oats.

Let us know how it goes. I believe they are a good food, despite being a dreaded grain.

Cheers,

Friday
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:26
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I make my own hot cereal. I love it and I'm not an oatmeal fan.

2 tbsp ground flax seeds
2 tbsp unprocessed wheat bran
1 scoop designer whey protien powder
Flavorings (usually just cinnimon and maybe a sweetner like stevia)

I put in enough water to make it wet, then microwave for 1 min. When it cmoes out I add more liquid, such as LC milk, cream, or some DaVincci syrup for flavor. I found the peach was amazing in this,
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 19:30

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

This tastes exactly like oatmeal! At least to someone who hasn't had oatmeal in a while? Mix 1/3 cup TVP (texturized vegetable protein...available in bulk bins at health food stores) w/ 1 tbsp ground flax. Add hot water until you get the consistency you like. Flavor as you would oatmeal. I like to add davinci syrup, cinnamon, butter or splenda. Yum!! And TVP is low calorie and low carb and high in protein. Bon apetit.

--Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 20:53

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I use the steel cut oats and LOVE them! 1/4 cup of dry oats to 1 cup water then top with heavy cream, walnuts and sugarfree maple syrup. YUM! It usually keeps me full for hours too. I just bought some oat bran which is higher fiber and less carbs but I haven't tried it yet. Not sure where on the GI it rates when compaired to the steel cut oats though.

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 06:57

Stats: 178/157/145 Female 67 in.
BF:
Progress: 64%

I was also going to suggest steel cut oats. I've found them in our grocery store in the cereal aisle with the organic/healthy cereals. The brand I found is McCann's Irish Oatmeal. It's in a metal tin. It takes a long time to cook them but you can make a big batch at the beginning of the week, refrigerate and microwave your smaller portions each morning.

I can understand your frustration with eggs. I can't stomach them in the morning and I've just about had it with Mock Danish. Can't wait for OWL so I can start eating things like the steel cut oats.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:23

Stats: 192/155/145 Female 5'6"
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 79%

wow...I make a flax meal oatmeal with wheat bran...it's really good....
A lot of people say to microwave it...that makes it taste like paste in my eyes, I like to boil the water, add in the ingrediants and cook it, just like oatmeal :-)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:35

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I also love oatmeal! I have not added it back in to my plan yet, but I cannot wait to do so. My favorite "recipe" is 1/4 cup steel-cut oats with 2 tbsp wheat bran and 2 tbsp almond butter made with hot water and a bit of cream and DV syrup to sweeten... best stuff in the world.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:44

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I eat plain - not quick - oatmeal 1-2X a week and I did this thru OWL with no adverse affects...actually never fell out of ketosis after eating this. I eat FLAX cereal too...and actually like it as long as you doctor it up with cream, splenda and some fruit or syrup.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 07:47

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

The TVP "fauxtmeal" really does have the taste and texture of oatmeal. It's worth a shot, TVP is really cheap.