Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:00

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%
Default Stalls

The more I read this board and talk to people who are doing Atkins, the more I am beginning to think this diet doesn't work for everyone. Although obviously it has good results for many.

I stalled for 9 months last year and then lost about 10 lbs and I've stalled again for over a month now. My colleague at work who is also doing Atkins has stalled for 5 weeks as well. We are both following the program, exercising, taking vitamins and staying away from the frankenfoods. My colleague has lost a bit in inches but that's been modest. I have not.

It seems many people on this board stall for weeks at a time. I've been sitting here this afternoon reading through old posts and noticing that there are many people who have not lost for weeks at a time.

It sounds like many of us have tried the usual suggestions - back to induction, increase exercise, cut out the frankenfoods, drink more water, etc. etc. but it's still not working.

I would be happy with 1 lb a week or even half a pound. I'm not sure what to try next. My results from induction showed that I am not metabolically resistant so I would have thought I'd continue to lose.

Trying to keep my enthusiasm up about this WOE but I'm also starting to look around and see if there are other options that might work better for me.

Squid
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:06

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Before you switch, try a month or so of taking measurements. Sometimes, especially if you regularly work out, you'll be losing inches without realizing it. If after a month you are not losing any inches or pounds, maybe you should look around for another option. Many people believe they are not losing anything, when in fact they are but don't realize it. There's more to it than just the number on the scale.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:09

BF:

I have been taking measurements, and I'm not losing there either. I can't understand it because I am in ketosis. Oh well. You're probably right - time to face reality.

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:15
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I would just like to say that being in ketosis dose mean that you are burning fat. But it doesn't mean that that it is your fat. You can be burning the fats you have eaten. You may have to take an honest look at how much food you eat a day. Being metabolically resistant may also mean that you are one of those people who have to look at calories you consume a day also.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:18
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Squid! Sorry about the stall.

Maybe you should post a week's worth of menus?
What supplements are you taking?
Are you weight training and doing cardio as well?
Are you bloated?
Are you regular?
How many calories and what are your ratios?

I understand your frustration but if you stop this WOE what will you do? What is your energy level like now? Do you feel better physically than before Atkins? Have you had your body fat tested before? Has it changed?

Have you done the tests for the symptom on candida?

If you answer those questions we can try to help.

red
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:34

BF:

Hi Red, any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1cutie

Maybe you should post a week's worth of menus?

I eat an omelet for breakfast every day, usually with bacon or sausage in it.

I eat chicken, turkey, pork or fish for lunch. About 5-6 ounces. And 2 cups of salad.

I eat the same for dinner except one cup of salad and one cup of vegetables such as brocoli, cauliflower, zuccini, cabbage.

If I'm hungry I will have an ounce of cheddar cheese as a snack.

I drink nearly a gallon of water a day.

What supplements are you taking?

I take a regular general purpose multivitamin and fish oil.

Are you weight training and doing cardio as well?

I do cardio 5 days a week. I was weight training up until about 2 weeks ago when I injured my shoulder.

Are you bloated?

Maybe a little.

Are you regular?

I am one of those people who has suffered from diarrhea on this WOE and adding in fiber has not helped that much.

How many calories and what are your ratios?

I calculated between 1400-1800 calories a day. Maybe I need to go lower.

I understand your frustration but if you stop this WOE what will you do? What is your energy level like now? Do you feel better physically than before Atkins? Have you had your body fat tested before? Has it changed?

I felt really great and energetic at first, but now I seem to be back to the lower level of energy I had before. I haven't ever had my body fat tested so I have no idea if that's changed, but my measurements haven't in two months.

Have you done the tests for the symptom on candida?

Doctor laughed when I brought this up. So, no.

If you answer those questions we can try to help.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'm at my wit's end. I'm facing surgery in two months and thought this would give me the best shot at getting me weight down before then. But I'm seriously questioning it now.

Squid

red
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm the same way. But no matter what diet I'm on, I tend not to lose weight unless I count calories.

However, for me the advantage with Atkins is that my appetite is much, much less than on a high carb diet. And my cravings are far less.

So, sometimes you just gotta face the music and realize that Atkins for some of us isn't an "all you can eat" diet.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:28
"Natural Mystic"

Hi Squid! Sorry you have to have surgery and I can see why you are stressed.

I don't really see anything wrong with what you are doing. I'll try to think of all the stuff that helped me at times when my body was resting.

I think total calories af 1400-1800 seems okay. I still want to know the breakdown. I found that I lost better when my fat was 70% and above of total calories. I lose better when I take flax oil, olive oil, coconut oil.

I also think you should try to get your lean body mass in protein (for example if your lean mass is 100lbs you only need 100g of protein)use this site to calculate it: MyBodyComp

I tried to calculate your carbs and I don't think you are getting 20g a day. Please correct me if I am wrong. Does that mean you are still on Induction levels (20g) or did you move up and when you stalled than you moved back down? How about increasing them? Many people have said that they lost better when they increased their carbs.

Have you tried Chromium GTF? It's supposed to regulate your blood sugar.

Do you eat any dairy or nuts at all. I sometimes have a problem with dairy and nuts and have to cut them out for a little. I did take a yeast fighter a couple of times. Maybe you should try one (the one I used was HMF Replete).

I also read a thread in the CAD forum posted by Zuleikaa that talked about some people stalling in the Winter months and that when Spring came their weight loss resumed.

What do you do for cardio. Maybe try to vary the cardio that you do. Have high intensity days-shorter cardio followed by lower intensity longer cardio until you are healed enough to incorporate weights.

Maybe some of those suggestions might help. I hope so. If I think of anything else I will post it.

red
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:40

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Hi Squid, after seeing your menu I want to suggest that you enter your daily food intake into Fitday for a few days. It looks to me like you are not eating enough.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:50
"Natural Mystic"

Oh yeah, maybe leave the bacon and sausage alone for awhile and have something else.

red
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

On any weight loss program there will be periods of slow or no loss while the body catches up. The problem with Atkins is people lose well the first couple weeks, then when that doesn't continue, they panic.

While there are some with ligitimate stalls, many posts are from people who havn't lose in a day, eat only candy with no veggies, or are otherwise not in a full stall.

You've done really well by getting already 60% of the way to your goal. The clsoe ryou get the slower it goes. Allso fo ryour height, you are already in the healthy weight range. That means the weight is going to fight you even harder and it may take more then just diet to take it off. Going back to the weight lifting, but a moderated program for the shoulder, may help.

Also have you read the chapter on stalls and plateaus to see if you have the candidia symptoms? You might try the candida restricted diet for 2 weeks along with some healthy bacterias to see if they help. Twin labs has a good yeast fighter. Doctors probably wouldn't be ocncerned with an over growth until it effecte dhealth, while a dieter would be concerned about it much sooner.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 138/123/120 Female 5 ft 7
BF:
Progress: 83%

I was in the same boat without losing weight for about 5-6 weeks. I might have lost inches but I never measured so I wasn't sure. Someone suggested that I up my carb intake as well as fat. I did and I finally dropped another 2 pounds. I had been in induction for way too long!
It made no sense to me that eating more fat and carbs would work but I guess I went into "starvation mode" and my body was holding onto everything I had. I did what I had been resistant to and increased my healthy carbs (more veggies and even a couple of bananas and upped the fat BIG TIME) and it seemed to work.....
I'm also very close to my goal so I know it will be REALLY slow from here on out.

Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 03:13
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Hey Squid,

If you've been lifting weights and doing cardio, you've probably got a lot more muscle than you had. Muscle weighs more than fat (but looks better) so you might be trading them off right now. Get a body fat baseline and check it again in a couple months..stick with it.

We're here for you