Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-04, 20:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/187/125 Female 5'3''
BF:230/187/120
Progress: 35%
Default I'm craving!

I'm craving big time right now, and i'm going to try to go to sleep so that I don't think about it.

I was hoping to start this thread so that we can turn to each other when we're about to have a meltdown. "Never give Up" that's what Richard Simmons preaches and after his autobiography I should know better but I don't. I want to eat, something anything, there is no rational for a binge eater, anything will do.

Please help me survive another night.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 09:58

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Some of these cravings are your sneaky body trying to get you to go back to the "easy" fuel of carbs. It takes much more energy to convert fat to fuel and the body is lazy. So it sneaks thoughts of carbage into your mind as cravings. Not real hunger, usually.

However, the great thing about LCing is that you can ALWAYS eat if you have a hunger. Just ignore any craving for non-LC foods and go eat some protein and fat. It will still be LC legal and you will be much more comfortable.

Also be aware that thirst sometimes masquerades as hunger. Try a glass of water first and it may be all that is needed.

But do eat when you crave something. Just not the thing that you are craving.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 11:03
The Spandex Killer

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 206.2/206.2/145 Female 5'9.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I sometimes drink a 32 ounce glass of warmish water when I'm hit hard by the "craving monsters". Drinking that much water, quickly, makes me feel full -- almost OVERLY so -- and turns me off to the idea of putting food in my tummy (blech all floaty and full feeling!).

Plus, water is good for me, so instead of feeling bad for giving into the cravings a little while later I feel good about myself for having resisted and gotten in MORE water.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 13:28

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default L-Glutamine and Vitamin C

When I get hit with a craving, first response is, "what have I been eating that might have triggered this?" Strawberries had to go, as did aspartame. Hidden sugar, especially hidden HFCS, is a flaming demon trigger for cravings. Who'da thought you'd find it in pickles?

If I want to not eat, sometimes I'll take an extra 1000 mg tablet of L-Glutamine, and 2 grams of vitamin C (over my regular intake). They both work to take the edge off.

Finally, as stated above, fat and protein will also stop a craving. ANY carb product, even lettuce, will just pour fuel on the fire if it's a post-meal, "should have eaten enough but still want more" craving.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 14:22

Stats: 220/187/125 Female 5'3''
BF:230/187/120
Progress: 35%

Thanks, you guys that was some great advice.

I've been writing down what I've been eating and I think it might be the decaf coffee that I have with splenda, or the fact that I'm not eating enough, or maybe it was those barbecue chicken wings I had from the chinese?

It's induction day 14 for me and I want to add more variety but i'm scared. I want to lose more weight and fast so I've held off for those reasons.

Would any of you know, if Dr. Atkins ever mentions anything about Hazlenut? Those are my favorite next to salted peanuts and I want to know which would be better?

Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 23:55

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

I go with the warm water, I drink about 18 oz. at a time (biggest cup I own), it makes me feel all warm & cozy taking the crave edge off.
Another thing I just started to do when I want to snack: I get some plain yogurt & put in the sugarfree flavored syrup & a Tbsp. of coconut oil. Its really filling & makes me feel like I endulged in a treat.